Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2008   #121
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

You know, you can dislike a pick without thinking you're smarter than the FO. I'm fine with the choice, but I don't expect everyone else to be, and being that this is a forum I think it's ok for them to express that.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #122
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Dislike it all you want.. but if you cant acknowledge that the FO knows more than you.. and that this guy is a prototypical Gibbs olineman.. then im gonna point out that you are an *****.
Who said that? Some just don't like the pick.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #123
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
Sure wish you had said that when you said this:

Two, and let me put this in bold so you can understand this:
David Carr Will Be Allowed to play out the remainder of his contract extension. PERIOD.
You can draw up lists, look at free agents, do whatever you want. Carr will be here until his extension runs out, and its very possible he could get a new contract after that.

even if we WERE looking to acquire a quarterback, it wouldn't be matt schaub. the price will be too high, and frankly he will be the most sought after qb on the market, and we cant pull that.

http://www.texanstalk.com/index.php?...apper&Itemid=4

Ah, the epic ''everybody is wrong about everything'' thread. Classic.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #124
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Default Re: Duane Brown = Texans' First Round Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
we can trade Sage now Schaub has his protection
LOL
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #125
Texanballer
Rookie

Rep Power: 25 Texanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performer

There arent any images of him on google, just one, no one knows who this guy is. I hope he puts himself out there
Texanballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #126
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

The General weighs in in his Blog on Chron.com

Texans select left tackle Duane Brown

General manager Rick Smith took a huge chance trading down from 18 to 26 and still getting Virginia Tech left tackle Duane Brown.

The Texans brought in all the left tackles they liked for interviews. Assistant head coach Alex Gibbs fell in love with Chris Williams, Branden Albert and Brown, who is 6-4, 315 and the fastest left tackle in the draft. He ran a 5.00 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.

Brown was a tight end who was moved to right tackle because Virginia Tech had Brandon Frye, a fifth-round pick last season. When Frye left, Brown was moved to left tackle and played very well last season.

The Texans interviewed Virginia defensive end Chris Long, and he praised Brown's blocking ability. They talked to players and coaches who played against Brown as well as though who played with him.

"We think he has a tremendous upside," Smith said.

In the Denver zone scheme the Texans are using exclusively for the first time, the left tackle has to be extremely quick as well as intelligent and nasty. The quickness comes from getting off the ball and making his initial block, then getting onto the second level to make another block. It's a complicated scheme that demands the player think on the run.

Also, Gibbs demands that his linemen cut block. Some don't like to do it because they don't want it done to them. If the player doesn't cut, he can't play for Gibbs. Brown told them he has no problem with cut-blocking.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #127
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I see this kid as slight upgrade over Salaam at this point with his pass blocking (he will probably get much better) and much better at run blocking. He is a knock you on your butt player.

I haven't seen a 'Matt Millen' draft from our team in the last two years. I will wait to see what he does. If he is not starting at left tackle on day one, then we possibly made a mistake. I fully expect him to start and without a freak injury, be there for years.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #128
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Anyone have this guy's measureables? Arm length, hand size, 40 time..etc?
all I know after the elite guys he was the best, cleanest OLT ZBS propect on the board. Believe anything, believe this: he's going to earn every F)(8king nickle of the contract. Gibbs will work his a$$ off.
Old 04-26-2008   #129
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

It caught me a little off guard, but I don't have a problem with it. We don't have a #2, so a little bit of a reach won't hurt us as long as it's a player we truly had high on our boards.

Let's just hope he's a quick learner so he can unseat Salaam.
Old 04-26-2008   #130
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
this guy isn't the answer. This is a pathetic reach, and an ego trip by gibbs. this is dumb.
Sorry, but you lost all cred regarding talent when you said you want to move Tmac for Sebastian Telfair............I'm going to side with Alex Gibbs.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #131
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

What about that Frye guy? Didn't he come from VTech too? If so where did he play as opposed to Duane Brown? I'm starting to feel a little bit iffy on the idea.

I fully welcome Duane Brown. Don't misunderstand me.
Old 04-26-2008   #132
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I was listening to the guys on 1560 the Game for this selection. They were disgusted.

Could this be the first big goof from Rick Smith?

Any chance Alex Gibbs is senile?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #133
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

We had to come out of the 1st with either a LT or a CB & we did that.

Obviously, it's no secret I wanted Cason....a whole lot.

But we came out of there with a LT for the future plus a bonus 3rd round pick.

Can't argue with that. Go Smithiak.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #134
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 130554 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
It caught me a little off guard, but I don't have a problem with it. We don't have a #2, so a little bit of a reach won't hurt us as long as it's a player we truly had high on our boards.

Let's just hope he's a quick learner so he can unseat Salaam.
one of his knocks is that he isn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #135
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm better now with this pick but I really hate the fact that he's undersized. This is Gibb's boy, so hopefully he's the missing link to a dominant o-line.

It's just weird that our QB is taller than our future starting LT. Dammit.
Old 04-26-2008   #136
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #137
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).
True that, Godfrey won't last into the 3rd. I know the Texan's targeted him.
Old 04-26-2008   #138
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
one of his knocks is that he isn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer
LOL! Thanks, that helps alot. Has there been a "sharp knife" come out of Va Tech? LOL
Old 04-26-2008   #139
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
one of his knocks is that he isn't the sharpest knives in the drawer
This was proven in the Orange Bowl. Brown had a rough game. He struggled with recognizing his assignment against a complex zone blitz scheme. The Kansas pass-rush won that game, and Brown was on the wrong end of that.

I don't think he was value at all, but there were some offensive linemen that went before him that I have him rated higher than. He is a project. I do not think he has the ability to learn our offense quick enough to start, and he will have to improve his pass protection a lot. He is undersized, which isn't a huge knock, just a potential concern with arm length and hand size. I think it was a wasted pick in terms of spot as I think he is a second round talent, but I trust our front office with their targeting of Brown. I think he will be an above average NFL LT.
Old 04-26-2008   #140
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think we did a good enough job preparing folks for the difference in Alex Gibbs olinemen.

Seems alot of people dont understand that Gibbs does not want, or need, prototypical olinemen.

I wasnt shocked in the least to see us pick a tackle that is undersized and raw, but very athletic and quick on his feet.

What I find amusing is that not too long ago people would have been overjoyed to see us drafting ANY olinemen in the first couple of rounds.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read