Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2008   #61
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans best and worst draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
wonder why Wali Lundy didn't make anyone's list...? Is he exempt because he was a 7th round guy? If so, then David Anderson is exempt also.
For my list, I didn't go past the fifth round--out of a combination of laziness on my part and a belief that anything you get from the sixth or seventh round is pure gravy. Lundy gave us a little bit of gravy, so I consider it to be an OK pick. Of course, I also think Smithiak made a mistake keeping Gado over him, but that's a discussion for another time (perhaps never).
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #62
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Anderson one of the worst picks? No way pards...just because one guy had something in him no other team saw doesn't make Anderson a bad pick....using that logic every team in the NFL drafted busts a few years back because nobody drafted Priest Holmes.
I wouldn't say Anderson was a "bust"; its just frustrating for some to see what we could have had in Colston.

I used to think that way myself. I've said, "...dang, we couldda had him..." more time than I can count.

But then I realized, that was 2006. HWWNBN was still here. Heck, he barely was able to get the ball to Andre Johnson reliably. So even had we drafted Colston, its likely he wouldn't have blossomed here - not with chuckNduck at the helm. Look how much better Gaffney seemed to produce when he left and went to a team whose QB actually went thru his progressions. ...what a concept!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #63
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You're splitting hairs, and it's still a weak argument. David Anderson is a 7th round pick who's played in 17 games over two years, and is on the roster as we speak. Regardless of who went one pick after him, it's not a bad pick.
Not splitting hairs. It has already has been pointed out you cant call anyone who was picked in the 7th round a bust because players taken that late are all considered longshots. That is the reason I dont call Anderson a bust, but do consider him to be a bad pick.

Colston- 2,240 yards, 19 touchdowns
Anderson- 150 yards, 1 touchdown

It stands out especially because the Texans took Anderson in the 7th round with pick #251 and Colston was taken at pick #252, the very next selection after Anderson. Not that I blame Kubiak because nobody not even the Saints knew Colston would be that great in the NFL. But still Anderson is one of the more unfortunate picks I can think of.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #64
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone in Panther country really hates David Carr. Did anyone click this little gem after watching the first you tube clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKi5-P0EiRg&NR=1

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #65
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On Colston versus David Anderson:

The seventh round is simply a crapshoot, and teams have wildly different lists of players that they are targeting. While most NFL people will be in general agreement about who's in the top 100 or so, when you get to the 250th pick, all such consensuses are gone. Which is why the "we could have drafted ____ instead of the bum we got" exercise becomes increasingly precarious as the draft wears on (my earlier post in this thread on the subject did not consider 6th and 7th round picks).

For a small-school player like Colston, the biggest challenge is sometimes getting on the radar screens of the 32 teams. He clearly had the Saints' attention, but he did not have ours. We instead went with the guy we knew--for whatever reason, the brass was paying close attention to the Colorado State program during that period.

So I'm more likely to ascribe the decision to take Anderson over Colston as a scouting failure rather than a war-room blunder. And by "scouting failure", I don't mean that we considered the two players and erroneously gave a higher grade to Anderson; instead, I mean that we may not have beat the bushes sufficiently to find an unheralded guy out of the many hundreds (thousands) who try to make NFL rosters each year.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read