Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2005   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
You mean a 4.4 guy like Tony Hollings? Speed is important, no question. But it's how you play & use your speed on the field that counts. And I really question how much can be derived by guys running in their shorts in a straight line for 40 yards. It's a very uncommon occurance in a football game. I believe the information can be used by NFL teams to help sort out some questions about prospects. But by itself in the hands of fans & internet scouts, the 40 times are blown completely out of proportion.
You're right, speed in and of itself is not that big a deal. If it were, all the NFL scouts would need to do when it came to drafting players ffor speed critical positions (RB, WR, etc.), would be to consult the finish in the NCAA
100 & 200 meter sprints (and the 60 indoor), to decide who to draft for these
positions in April.
My point is, if you add that dimension of being pretty damn fast to a RB who
has ordinary sprinter speed (and 4.6-4.7 is ordinary if not inferior), he becomes a much greater threat and thereffor a much more valuable player for his team.
As far as Hollings - I can't defend the decision to draft him with or without his speed. What can I say, we all make mistakes and I'm afraid Cass made a
whopper with that pick.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #22
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
People that love Williams will discount his 4.6 40 yd time and call him a playmaker and people that don't like DD will cite his 4.51 time and say he is too slow to be a threat as a RB. Maybe that kind of thing only amuses me.
By "Williams" do you mean Ricky Williams? If so the difference is that Ricky is a bigger back that can run through people. Ricky Williams is superior to DD on the field. Off the field is an entirely different matter. Anyone need a hit?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
By "Williams" do you mean Ricky Williams? If so the difference is that Ricky is a bigger back that can run through people. Ricky Williams is superior to DD on the field. Off the field is an entirely different matter. Anyone need a hit?
Should have been clearer in my post--I was talking about Mike Williams.
Old 03-07-2005   #24
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Anyone have 40 times for Gaff and AJ....I think AJ's was 4.38 or something...can't remember tho...

thanks!
Old 03-07-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rating the wide receivers

By Gil Brandt
Special to NFL.com

4. Jabar Gaffney, Florida (6-1 1/8, 193, 4.49 on grass)
Did not work out at the combine other than the participating in the shuttle and cone drills. Ran two 40s (4.48 and 4.49) on grass at Pro Day. Had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 10-inch long jump. High-school football player who caught the game winning pass in the 1997 State Championship Game as a wide receiver. Redshirted in 1999. Started eight games in 2000 and set NCAA Div. I-A freshman record for touchdowns as a wide receiver with 14. Also set NCAA record for yards gained by a freshman. Tremendous athlete with very good hands. Does a very good job adjusting to the ball. Has great body control, fluid and has outstanding ability to gain yards after the catch.
http://ww2.nfl.com/draft/2002/WR_ratings.html
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #26
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Wow, I would have guessed Jabar ran a like a 4.55. It doesnt seem like he runs that fast on the field.
Old 03-07-2005   #27
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
Wow, I would have guessed Jabar ran a like a 4.55. It doesnt seem like he runs that fast on the field.

not trying to make fun. but thats only a 6 one hundreths of a second. that would be pretty hard to notice.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read