Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2008   #81
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What Team Is One Draft Pick Away From Contention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The way they prepared the fans for the pick and the way they promoted the pick was very poor. A very right brained discussion, when the discussions of the draft have become increasingly left brained.

They had the first freaking pick. They knew who they were going to choose. They had plenty of time to put together something more substantive than hey we need a pass rush, defense wins championships, lookie he is a big dude who can play multiple positions.

I was proud that Mario Williams put my old blog post providing basic research and information about him on his website until I realized that the reason his people did it was because the mainstream media didn't write anything that was particularly fair about his background.

Why? Because the Texans didn't spoonfeed them the information.

I had to research Mario myself because the local newspaper put nothing of substance in it. Most of the information I could find about him was BEFORE the draft, before the hype machine said he was Sam Bowie. The Chronicle writers said the pick sucked, then some went on vacation, and then weeks later John Lopez wrote an article about Mario's sister (a similar article was written by USA Today the day after the draft).

/sorry about this getting off topic, but I truly believe that CC and the Texans did a misservice to fans and to Williams with the way that the 2006 draft was handled.
How long before the draft day did they know for sure who they were going to take? I thought it wasn't before shortly before draft day that they made their final decision and signed Mario to a contract. I think Kubiak, McNair, Casserly, and an assortment of other people defended this pick in the paper, on their web site, in a televised press conference, and in televised interviews with reasonable arguments for selecting him. Did they give a statistical analysis of the significance of his measurables and college production relative to DE's of the past? No. Did they specifically, by name, compare him to Vince Young and Reggie Bush, and say why he was better for us than them? No. But I don't think that was necessary, nor do I recall any team going out of their way to do something similar within the first week of drafting a player. I respect your opinion, I just disagree. I thought all of the media and fan hype put them in a bad spot, and considering the circumstances as a fan I felt well informed as to why they made their decision.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Spot on TC

Why should the Texans have to spoon feed the media anything. Isn't it their job to hunt down stories & do their own reasearch?

CC always plays both sides of the fence. Why should it be a suprise to anybody that he would play both sides of the fence in this instance.

He has made a career out of playing both sides of the fence.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #83
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
How long before the draft day did they know for sure who they were going to take? I thought it wasn't before shortly before draft day that they made their final decision and signed Mario to a contract. I think Kubiak, McNair, Casserly, and an assortment of other people defended this pick in the paper, on their web site, in a televised press conference, and in televised interviews with reasonable arguments for selecting him. Did they give a statistical analysis of the significance of his measurables and college production relative to DE's of the past? No. Did they specifically, by name, compare him to Vince Young and Reggie Bush, and say why he was better for us than them? No. But I don't think that was necessary, nor do I recall any team going out of their way to do something similar within the first week of drafting a player. I respect your opinion, I just disagree. I thought all of the media and fan hype put them in a bad spot, and considering the circumstances as a fan I felt well informed as to why they made their decision.
It took me, an individual person, a couple of hours to research and write what I wrote about Mario Williams with no access to agents, coaches, family, teammates, game film, draft analysis etc. Which is more information than the Texans sent out or what was in the paper.

I am guessing a corporation with the resources that the Texans have could have put together some informational stuff together that is a little better than defense wins championships, lookee at how big and strong this guy is.

Yes, there are people who would have been bitter no matter what you said about Mario. But the Texans really didn't do a good job of introducing this pick to the world at all.

CC said at the time, to boo him instead of Mario. They knew how much everyone was going to despise the pick, and despise Mario for being the face of that pick. They needed to redouble their efforts to demonstrate why he was the right pick for their team.

I believe that 2006 draft is a case study of how NOT to handle draft PR and was a disservice to the fanbase and to Mario Williams. (though getting the money stung him less).
Old 04-10-2008   #84
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Spot on TC

Why should the Texans have to spoon feed the media anything. Isn't it their job to hunt down stories & do their own reasearch?

CC always plays both sides of the fence. Why should it be a suprise to anybody that he would play both sides of the fence in this instance.

He has made a career out of playing both sides of the fence.
His entire career was built on blame and blather.

I was talking to an out of town reporter about CC, and he said that CC was now teaching a class on how to succeed in sports adminstration.

And I asked him whether his advice was all, "find other people to blame."

He laughed and mentioned that in his last conversation with CC, he blamed other people for various things.
Old 04-10-2008   #85
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It took me, an individual person, a couple of hours to research and write what I wrote about Mario Williams with no access to agents, coaches, family, teammates, game film, draft analysis etc. Which is more information than the Texans sent out or what was in the paper.

I am guessing a corporation with the resources that the Texans have could have put together some informational stuff together that is a little better than defense wins championships, lookee at how big and strong this guy is.

Yes, there are people who would have been bitter no matter what you said about Mario. But the Texans really didn't do a good job of introducing this pick to the world at all.

CC said at the time, to boo him instead of Mario. They knew how much everyone was going to despise the pick, and despise Mario for being the face of that pick. They needed to redouble their efforts to demonstrate why he was the right pick for their team.

I believe that 2006 draft is a case study of how NOT to handle draft PR and was a disservice to the fanbase and to Mario Williams. (though getting the money stung him less).
I respect the work you put in to further introduce Mario to fans. I think we're viewing this situation from two different perspectives and are going to have a difficult time agreeing on it's portrayal. Either way, it's water under the bridge, I'd like to leave it at that and allow the thread to get back on topic. Maybe another time.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #86
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring on the draft so we have something real to chew on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Preach it brother!

Can I get an AMEN to that! Or if you are feeling moved in a mighty way by the spirit of the draft, just sing out with a hearty HALLELUJAH.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #87
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

you know, I keep seeing people say that OT Williams is a franchise LT, but I just don't see it. He may be serviceable, but I just don't see him as a franchise LT. IMHO, Brandon Albert is the safer pick. He has quick feet and long arms, and I think he would be the better LT in our system. If he's not able to play LT, he could be our upgrade over Pitts. I know alot of people are going to be upset with this, but I think Pitts is our weak link right now because he is slow footed. Fire away.
Old 04-12-2008   #88
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
you know, I keep seeing people say that OT Williams is a franchise LT, but I just don't see it. He may be serviceable, but I just don't see him as a franchise LT. IMHO, Brandon Albert is the safer pick. He has quick feet and long arms, and I think he would be the better LT in our system. If he's not able to play LT, he could be our upgrade over Pitts. I know alot of people are going to be upset with this, but I think Pitts is our weak link right now because he is slow footed. Fire away.
While I generaly agree that Albert may actually be a safer pick than Williams because if he strikes out at LT he is likely a pro bowl level guard, but williams is concidered the protypical WCO LT and therfore the better pick as a LT. Not sure how you arrived at that Pitts is slow footed. He has always been one of the more agile lineman and recognized as such.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #89
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wow.

Mel Kiper?

We're doomed.

This means we fall apart this year.
I'm sorry. When I read your post it lost it.
Now that's comedy.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #90
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Cleveland Browns. Arguably the best team out there not to make the post season last year.

Unfortunately for Browns fans, they won't get that One Draft pick until the 4th.
Trail.Blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #91
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
The world Franchise is often overused in relation to projecting guys to pro careers. Williams has good measureables and is one of the more smarter guys in the draft according the wonderlic test for what that is worth. Is he one of the mythical "franchise" type players? I don't know. I know it's hard to project any player to really do that. What I do think is he has the measureables to solve, short and long term, our LT problem.

I've said before I think its a stronger possibility then some people are saying Williams will fall to us at 18. Fits a glaring need and BPA. If he doesn't make it I would hope the staff strongly considers Albert. If he doesn't make it at LT worst(and i use this loosely) we get a guy that has pro bowl potential at guard. I'm not sure about Pitts but with McKinney gone and Weary not looking like he'll be healthy or resigned by the time TC rolls around we might not be fully set at RG. Perhaps Kubiak thinks Brisiel is the guy. I am not so sure.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read