Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2008   #41
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we too concentrated on the QB position?.......

I'm going to jump into the convo by adding that the Texans have made every indication that a LT for the future is what we're trying to aquire. I know that there's certain things people say in the news that should be taken with a grain of salt, but you can't disagree that we're in dire need of a young, talented LT. Taking the Schaub trade into consideration...if you want to legitimize that as a great move for your team, you better protect your investment. That's why I have no doubt we'll be drafting a LT in either the 1st or 3rd round.

As far as Albert, he seems like the real deal and at worst is a franchise RG for the Texans. The fact that he has the athletic ability to cover the edge and move to LT makes him that much more valuable. Make no mistake, I'd love for Williams to fall to us, but Albert is a great alternative.
Old 04-02-2008   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
10 of 22 sacks last year came from LT with 2 not assigned to anyone on the OL. That's 50% on LT. That doesn't mean there isn't any concern on C/G since the more room they give, the more room the QB has to work with while the T's handle the edge rushers, but age and quality dictate LT is a top concern to find a long term solution.
Do those statistics take into account whether or not the QB was flushed from the pocket? Several times last season, our QB was sacked because he was flushed by a strong inside rush and the QB had to step outside. Mario got 4 or 5 sacks because of pressure created by Okoye. Sacks Mario might not have gotten on his own. After McKinney and Weary went down, our sacks went up. I would be leery of taking a website's assignment of sack blame without knowing the criteria for giving those sacks to a certain position.
LT is an easy position to pick on based on previous coaches and QB's, but I think it should be telling that one of our great offseason aquisitions is a C/G, NOT a LT.
Old 04-02-2008   #43
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Exactly what I was thinking Docbar. I still think because of Salaam's age the uncertainty of Spencer, we need to address the LT position, but we may be able to do that in later rounds. This year is gonna be like last year as far as that first round pick goes, I think we could end up with anyone hehe
Old 04-02-2008   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Do those statistics take into account whether or not the QB was flushed from the pocket?

LT is an easy position to pick on based on previous coaches and QB's, but I think it should be telling that one of our great offseason aquisitions is a C/G, NOT a LT.
Well, they don't give an explanation for each sack. I can tell you in years past I have noticed incidents of an inside rusher collapsing the pocket with an outside rusher getting the flushed QB assigned as a half sack to LG and half to LT. I am glad to see us improve the C position as well, but the LT position needs to be addressed still unless Gibbs has some unstated faith in Butler or Spencer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read