Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2008   #41
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade Sage or Matt?

maddogmrb, let's put this to rest. Do you really believe that Smith & Kubiak would entertain offers for Schaub? I said would, not should. If you don't believe that, then your question is moot. The question is, trade Sage or not?
Old 03-21-2008   #42
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Minnesota: He could probably beat out T. Jackson but, it might be closer than you think because Jackson is really growing into the position. Here, I say he probably would start.

Miami: Yes, I agree.

Atlanta: Yes, I agree.

Chicago: Yes, I agree.

KC: Yes, I agree.

Baltimore: I think he would have a hard time beating out Kyle Boller and Troy Smith looked pretty good at the end of the year, too. So, I'm gonna say doubtful here.

Buffalo: Maybe.

So, of all the teams in the NFL, he MIGHT start for 5, all of whom are bad teams. Does that give you confidence that he's our QB of the future?
I think he is better then some other QBs, but he would not start for those teams due to investment in their current Qbs, both $ and draft pick wise.

I would take Schaub over VY, the Lienart/whats fis face combo in Az, Russel in Oak, Kitna in Det, maybe Bulger in StL.

Sage ould probably only beat out Jackosn in Minn (who washorrific last year).

As for Schaub not beating out Boller...wtf are you smoking. Car v Boller would be a close race, Schaub (and Sage) are both better then that bust.
Old 03-21-2008   #43
maddogmrb
Veteran

Rep Power: 5153 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Minnesota: He could probably beat out T. Jackson but, it might be closer than you think because Jackson is really growing into the position. Here, I say he probably would start.

Miami: Yes, I agree.

Atlanta: Yes, I agree.

Chicago: Yes, I agree.

KC: Yes, I agree.

Baltimore: I think he would have a hard time beating out Kyle Boller and Troy Smith looked pretty good at the end of the year, too. So, I'm gonna say doubtful here.

Buffalo: Maybe.

So, of all the teams in the NFL, he MIGHT start for 5, all of whom are bad teams. Does that give you confidence that he's our QB of the future?
Also, I feel exactly the same about Sage. So, if they are that close, why not trade Schaub and get more picks we can use?
Old 03-21-2008   #44
maddogmrb
Veteran

Rep Power: 5153 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
maddogmrb, let's put this to rest. Do you really believe that Smith & Kubiak would entertain offers for Schaub? I said would, not should. If you don't believe that, then your question is moot. The question is, trade Sage or not?
What? You don't think they're going to read this thread and change their minds? You mean, we're not the collective VP of Player Personnel?
Old 03-21-2008   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also, I feel exactly the same about Sage. So, if they are that close, why not trade Schaub and get more picks we can use?
Because you are one of the few people in all of the universe that fells this way, that's why.
Old 03-21-2008   #46
maddogmrb
Veteran

Everybody ...... have a blessed Easter and meditate on this topic over the weekend!

Old 03-21-2008   #47
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't disagree with you but, I think that's a problem. Not that Schaub is our starter but, that he was ORDAINED the starter without having to compete for the job. What has he done to be called a "franchise" QB?

My other point is that, if our 2 QBs are pretty similar in capability (which stats and victories show they are) and neither one is a proven starter, and neither one may really be our QB of the future, why not trade the one who has more value?
Players are ORDAINED the starter without having to compete for the job on every team every year. Schaub showed enough to Kubiak/Smith to convince them to trade for him and make him our QB.

I also feel that Schaub is a much better quarterback than Rosenfels. I think he's much more capable and has much more upside than Sage does.

It'd be like drafting LT Chris Williams at #18. He comes in and is ORDAINED the long-term starter. He and Salaam both play the LT spot throughout the year and Williams is marginally better if at all than Salaam. We would be able to get more for Williams than Salaam in a trade- Would you like to trade him away just because he didn't perform THAT much better in his first year on the team?
Old 03-21-2008   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everybody ...... have a blessed Easter and meditate on this topic over the weekend!

Happy Easter to you as well!!

Mods, please lock, delete and burn this thread.....
Old 03-21-2008   #49
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No offense, but I probably will never think about trading Schaub away and keeping Sage as our Franchise QB ever again.
Old 03-21-2008   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And Schaub has PROVEN that he is not "Gifford Neilson/Commander Cody/Frank Reich.....a guy that is good enough to step in short term but not good enough to play at a high level for the long haul"?? Actually, that argument fits Schaub much more at this point because of his durability issues.
He looked good to me, but then again I was one of the few Carr haters early on when you guys told me I had to be smoking something.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 03-21-2008   #51
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And Schaub has PROVEN that he is not "Gifford Neilson/Commander Cody/Frank Reich.....a guy that is good enough to step in short term but not good enough to play at a high level for the long haul"?? Actually, that argument fits Schaub much more at this point because of his durability issues.
Trades and nfl value are often more a component perception of potential and cost than what a player has proven. In this case, the cost element is vital. Schaub's contract would limit trade value although the belief is that he has more potential. On the market now because of his contract the Texans could not get what they paid for him.

Rosenfels on the other hand is a tradeable asset because he has a low end contract and the texans did not have any drafts are extensive time developing him as the number 1.

Even if Schaub can draw more on the open market and maybe never plays any better than Sage does right now, that does not make him a sellable asset. It is not totally "fair" but the business side of this situation is what makes the trading of Schuab irrelevant.
Old 03-21-2008   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
So, if they are that close...
There is an IF in there that isn't fulfilled because heads up they aren't that close.

With AJ in the game:

Schaub: 3-1 record, 79-119 (66.4%), 250 ypg, 7 TD, 3 INT
Rosenfels: 3-2 record, 93-147 (63.3%), 191 ypg, 8 TD, 6 INT

That's 60 extra yards of passing per game, as high a TD rate and a significantly lower INT rate.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read