Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN.com lists Kubiak as 1 of 3 "coaches to watch"

This is for all those GP haters who think I hate this team and that I only post on the Sage/Schaub thread(s).

Quote:
Kubiak made two bold moves over the past two seasons. Last year, he acquired quarterback Matt Schaub. This offseason, he hired Alex Gibbs to coach the running game. Gibbs is a master of turning bad offensive lines into efficient running units. In Atlanta, for example, he turned the Falcons into the league's best rushing team. His success in Denver coordinating that running game was legendary.
Link to full story: Kubiak 1 of 3 Coaches "To Watch"
Old 03-11-2008   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN.com lists Kubiak as 1 of 3 "coaches to watch"

The hiring of Gibbs, to me, is the real story in Houston. In addition, we lose Sherman and also gain a more influential Kubiak who will have broader influence on the offense without feeling like he's stepping on a veteran coach's toes.

Also, I remember Kubiak saying that because we had more success passing the ball...he can see us becoming a great passing offense.

My only doubts about Kubiak have been (A) the scripted plays which seem to lead us to a score on the first drive, but then there's no "big" adjustment at halftime nor throughout the game. (B) Some persistent, obvious play-calling is also troubling--One of the things I like about Patriots (and I don't like much about them) is that it's exciting to see them line up in crucial situations...you wonder what sort of creative play they are going to draw up, and you just knw they're going to convert. I need to see some out-of-the-box thinking by Kubiak, IMO.

I think this year will show us if Kubiak is "the guy" or if he's a fill-in for another guy who can come along and get us over the top. I know I've ragged on Kubiak a lot, but it's just getting time for us fans to see an era of Houston football where the seasons are ending in playoff football...even if it's a first-round loss. Now is the time.
Old 03-11-2008   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Big shock, on a team/coach to watch list, the Cardinals sneak their way onto it. When will BSPN learn to wait till the Cardinals do something before crowning them.
Old 03-11-2008   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice to see Kubiak get some press, but:

Quote:
Under these three head coaches, the Cardinals, Vikings and Texans should improve to the seven- or eight-win area because their coaches will help them add points on the scoreboard.
Man that is going out on a limb there John. So three 8-8 teams should improve to the seven or eight win area?--brilliant.
Old 03-11-2008   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Man that is going out on a limb there John. So three 8-8 teams should improve to the seven or eight win area?--brilliant.
Baby steps man, baby steps.
Old 03-11-2008   #6
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-11-2008   #7
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

they did the same thing with Mario, at the start of the season its bust talk, project talk, and not until 3/4 ths of the seson is gone and Mario is still on top of the league in sacks do they jump on the bandwagon. Im sure it will be the same stuff this year. they will talk about the Cardinals and the Redskins until they show they still suck, then we will get a "one player away" or "one draft away" story.
Old 03-11-2008   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As with all sports writers, the fun is in reading them when they agree with you and trashing them when they don't. The trick is to never take them to seriously, most especially sports writers who are not local to the team. Local sportwriters can be given a grain of believability every now and then.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Kubiak made two bold moves over the past two seasons."
Drafting Mario didn't rate as the third bold move ? There was a time when they thought it did,
to say the least.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #10
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Kubiak made two bold moves over the past two seasons."
Drafting Mario didn't rate as the third bold move ? There was a time when they thought it did,
to say the least.
What are you talking about? Mario was always seen by everyone in the media, especially ESPN, as the consensus #1 over all.

I can't believe you would say something like that.

Old 03-11-2008   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Infantrycak kind of covered this gem:

Quote:
Offense is the key in the NFL. Under these three head coaches, the Cardinals, Vikings and Texans should improve to the seven- or eight-win area because their coaches will help them add points on the scoreboard. This is the season to see whether these teams -- and these coaches -- are ready to take the next step.
But I wanted to add, if the teams landed in that '7' win area, than the Texans will have regressed, if they go 8-8 again, there is no progress..

This guy really through out a wealth of insightfullness.
Old 03-11-2008   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Nice to see Kubiak get some press, but:Man that is going out on a limb there John. So three 8-8 teams should improve to the seven or eight win area?--brilliant.
I thought the same thing at first, but I think John meant to say that we will improve UPON the 7 or 8-win area...probably meant to say "UPON" but phrased it wrong.

I think that's what he meant to say, but then again maybe I think this way because I have a HUGE man crush on John Clayton.

...should probably add "just kidding" in there somewhere.
Old 03-11-2008   #13
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
As with all sports writers, the fun is in reading them when they agree with you and trashing them when they don't. The trick is to never take them to seriously, most especially sports writers who are not local to the team. Local sportwriters can be given a grain of believability every now and then.
Unfortunately, in Houston, you have "Jabba the Hollywood" and lil Dickey opining! They make BSPiN look credible. 4th largest city and plenty of bird cage liner to be had for a buck....
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think this year will show us if Kubiak is "the guy" or if he's a fill-in for another guy who can come along and get us over the top. I know I've ragged on Kubiak a lot, but it's just getting time for us fans to see an era of Houston football where the seasons are ending in playoff football...even if it's a first-round loss. Now is the time.
ive always been a kubiak supporter and i honestly do think he is 'the guy' for us (that sounds gay but you know what i mean )

imo if we had a lesser coach, we'd be stuck here reflecting on who our next coach should be after another 3-13 season where we've finally had enough of both carr (we're taking matt ryan @ #1) and the o-line (who've allowed david to be sacked 86 times and who've only allowed our sensational rb reggie bush rush for 612 yds- a measly 3.1 ypc)... our d-line and defence in general is a joke etc...... well you see where im going with this
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the greatest thing about Kubes is he challenges everyone. You remember when he put out the challenge for Demeco, Andre and Mario about if they want to be great they have to step it up? I think when the team saw him call them out, they knew he meant business.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #16
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Big shock, on a team/coach to watch list, the Cardinals sneak their way onto it. When will BSPN learn to wait till the Cardinals do something before crowning them.
i don't think we're ones to talk.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #17
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
The Cardinals have been on the "cusp" for a couple years now. I've watched them, expecting them to turn that corner as well; I don't think I'm buying into the ESPN hype, they just have so many good pieces in place to make the transition.

What I would loathe to see is the Texans having a couple of those "Cardinal years," where they look like they have the ability to get past .500 and make a real run at the playoffs. The Cards seem stuck in football purgatory, not really improving or going backwards, and that's got to be frustrating as hell when you consider the talent on that team.

I think Kubes has about 2 more years to turn this team around...if we're still 8-8 come the end of the 2009 season, I think the Texans will be in a bit of a pickle.

I don't think this is going to happen, btw, just a fear after watching the Cards kinda stumble every year. I think Kubes will get it done and he's adding the folks that will make the Texans breakout and get to the playoffs.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #18
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Much deserved credit......Kubes is the real deal.
Old 03-12-2008   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes deserves some praise. He's experienced the normal rookie HC mistakes,
but all in all, I'm very happy with the progress we've made. He's gotten better at play selection and clock management. I think he could progress some in the halftime adjustments and adjustments during the game, as a whole. We generally look prepared for games and really seem to be moving towards being a legit playoff contender. As was pointed out, we look a lot like the Cardinals. I hope it doesn't take us as long to realize our potential and put it all together.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read