Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2008   #21
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans re-sign Bruener according to 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He is a hell of a blocker....he has worth and we don't really have a TE that can block well otherwise...yet.
LOL. I don't understand how so many TEs cannot block effectively. I guess it's the situation of facing monstrous d-linemen and getting overpowered.

You'd think more TEs would be able to block, or would at least make it a priority to learn the skill over time. It's obviously prolonged Breuner's career, earning him more seasons in the league.
Old 03-11-2008   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have thrown away sports page today, but if I remember correctly $300,000 bonus and another $200,000 roster bonus. Total one year deal apprx $860,000. I could not find article on Chronicle web site to link.
Those bonuses were for Earl.

Quote:
Bruener, 35, who is entering his 14th season, signed a one-year deal for $870,000 with $100,000 guaranteed. He's primarily a blocking tight end, who will play an integral role in an offense determined to improve its running game this season.

Earl, 6-1, 213 pounds, signed a one-year deal worth $1 million, which included a $300,000 signing bonus and a $200,000 roster bonus.
Link
Old 03-11-2008   #23
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. I don't understand how so many TEs cannot block effectively. I guess it's the situation of facing monstrous d-linemen and getting overpowered.

You'd think more TEs would be able to block, or would at least make it a priority to learn the skill over time.
It's obviously prolonged Breuner's career, earning him more seasons in the league.
Because a lot of TE are not asked to do this, they are used as WR more than what the TE of old was used for. It used to be block first and catch second, now it is catch and if it is a must get in the defensive guys way long enough so the QB can throw the ball away.
Old 03-11-2008   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Those bonuses were for Earl.

Link
Thanks for clarification. Makes more sense for Earl.

Last edited by badboy; 03-11-2008 at 01:33 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

You'd think more TEs would be able to block, or would at least make it a priority to learn the skill over time. It's obviously prolonged Breuner's career, earning him more seasons in the league.
not everyone can be a great blocker when it comes to being physical enough to handle NFL front7 types and it isn't always something you can coach up. It's fairly hard to find "great" all-around TE's that can catch and run like a wr but stout enough to hang in there with edge rushers.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not everyone can be a great blocker when it comes to being physical enough to handle NFL front7 types and it isn't always something you can coach up. It's fairly hard to find "great" all-around TE's that can catch and run like a wr but stout enough to hang in there with edge rushers.
Even though he played for the Giants most of his career, Mark Bavaro would be my idea of a classic all-around TE. He was one tough SOB.

I used to like to watch him play the game.
Old 03-11-2008   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I suspect that explains why some blocking TE's have been converted to LT's.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read