Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-29-2008   #21
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacques Reeves????

This is how much I trust John McClain's knowledge compared to his connections and general football talk...I like the latter. But he has been preaching Reeves for weeks. Reeves made some good plays but he got his tail burned the last half of the season and in the playoff game looked lost. This isn't a guy I'd hang my hat on. Believe me I watch all their games closely.
Old 02-29-2008   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
This is how much I trust John McClain's knowledge compared to his connections and general football talk...I like the latter. But he has been preaching Reeves for weeks. Reeves made some good plays but he got his tail burned the last half of the season and in the playoff game looked lost. This isn't a guy I'd hang my hat on. Believe me I watch all their games closely.
To his credit, he's also preached Gay too.

That kinda sounds odd
Old 02-29-2008   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

That kinda sounds odd
kinda??!!!
Old 02-29-2008   #24
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Silver lining?

Quote:
After thinking about this for a while and reading an article on him recently, I'm starting to think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to re-sign him as a third or fourth CB (assuming we draft one in the first or second round).

Here's my thinking......

He started 13 games last year and gained valuable experience. He was often lined up against #1 WR's such as Moss and Burress. He would be much better in the slot against 3rd WR's.

He may be the fastest player on the team. He was the Big 10 sprint champ while at Purdue. You can't teach speed.

He's an excellent tackler. Only one receiver was able to break one of his tackles last year. Once he wraps up, they're going down.

He only committed two penalties all year for a total of 19 yards.

Quarterbacks threw at him 122 times last year. They completed 56.6% of their passes for an average of 12.8 yards per catch. He only allowed 7 TD's all year (though it seemed like more). In comparison, Dre Bly was thrown at 87 times, and QB's completed 56.3% of their passes for a 15 yard average and 10 TD's.

I'm not saying to sign him to be a starter or to break the bank for him. But he might be someone to consider since good CB's are hard to find. Just a thought.....
Regardless of what we do here I'm starting to really like Eugene Wilson. He's like a good Von Hutchins:
25. Eugene Wilson, S, New England Patriots: He has started 55 games the past five seasons, playing both corner and safety. He started six games last season and has range for a team looking for a free safety.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10636763
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #25
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

That kinda sounds odd
What? Did he speak with a gruff lisp?

I didn't mean it as a McClain post. I know he preached a group of guys but it annoyed me to throw in Reeves to the mix when he was really up and down. Sometimes brilliant and at the end of the year lost..when it counted.
Old 02-29-2008   #26
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the positives for Reeves is that he is only 25.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #27
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He only committed two penalties all year for a total of 19 yards.
Dont take that with a grain of salt. You cant impede or hold a WR if he is 5 yds away from you.

All I take this to mean is that he doesn't grab facemasks when he tackles.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #28
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Like John said in his blog, I don't think that, even if the Texans pick up Reeves, that it would change the Texans draft plans. I don't watch the Cowgirls so I can't really talk about how good or bad guy is. By looking at his stats it looks like last year was his first year as a starter. He started 1 game in 2004 as a rookie, but started 13 games last season. We have a good DB coach who may be able to coach him up but who knows. He wasn't stellar, stats wise, last season but he wasn't garbage either. He only had 1 INT but he had 52 solo tackles and 12 pass defenses. It could be a good pick up if he comes cheap and pushes Petey out of the nickle package. We have to have a good nickle package to go against the Colts. I am not saying he will make the team all that better but I have always been a fan of the weakest link theory. If a team improves it's weakest link the teams overall performance goes up.

Stats wise, Petey is 3 years older, had 12 fewer solo tackles, had 0 INTs, and 8 fewer pass defenses. Petey started 5 fewer games but played in all 16.

I know that you can't judge a player just by the stats but for those of us that haven't seen him play we don't have much else to judge them by. To me it looks like a slight upgrade. I am not saying we should get him, but I am not going to go whining all over the board if we do, just like I won't be concerned if we don't sign him.

Last edited by Overalls; 02-29-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #29
austintexanite
All Pro

I'm not high on Mr. Reeves, but I do understand the interest and this leads me to believe that Petey is in hot water.
Old 02-29-2008   #30
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

REEVES from a Cowboys standpoint.

I just spoke with several people here at work that are Diehard Cowboys fans. They are quick to say how bad they want to be rid of Roy Williams, and than Anthony Henry is nothing more than a FS, so they are not by any means people that will praise anyone in a Cowboys uniform.

They all thought to my surprise that Reeves wasn't bad at all. They think he's better at Nickel, but when he took over for Newman, everyone in the world threw at him all day, and he held his own. No one here cares if they keep him, but they also said they were never dissappointed in his play. Take that for what it's worth. (These guys talk, and analyze the Cowboys ALL DAY LONG!!)
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #31
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
REEVES from a Cowboys standpoint.

I just spoke with several people here at work that are Diehard Cowboys fans. They are quick to say how bad they want to be rid of Roy Williams, and than Anthony Henry is nothing more than a FS, so they are not by any means people that will praise anyone in a Cowboys uniform.

They all thought to my surprise that Reeves wasn't bad at all. They think he's better at Nickel, but when he took over for Newman, everyone in the world threw at him all day, and he held his own. No one here cares if they keep him, but they also said they were never dissappointed in his play. Take that for what it's worth. (These guys talk, and analyze the Cowboys ALL DAY LONG!!)
To start they are right about Williams, I wouldn't go that far on Henry

As for Reeves..... There were games that I thought like them and really was impressed how he made breaks on the ball and made plays. Then as the D started to lag and they had end of the year problems he started missing some key plays and giving what I thought was too much cushion. I thought he looked really bad at the end of the season and in the playoff game from what I recall. Definitely a guy you can pick up and hope he is the playmaker you see in some games. An upgrade in talent. But not someone who you hang a star on...JMO

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Let me be a bit more objective than at first. Reeves is okay when in zone or as an extra DB. Decent enough in run support and has better ball skills than most of our current corners. Not a player you want to stick on the man to man island though.
It will be interesting to see the type of cb the team is pursuing in the coming months. This may be an early indicator of them moving to more of a zone defense type of foundation. Tendering CC Brown with such a high tender tells me that he has a role on the team and he isn't all that good in man coverage either. Get ready for lots of Ray Rhodes zone.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #33
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
It will be interesting to see the type of cb the team is pursuing in the coming months. This may be an early indicator of them moving to more of a zone defense type of foundation. Tendering CC Brown with such a high tender tells me that he has a role on the team and he isn't all that good in man coverage either. Get ready for lots of Ray Rhodes zone.
Do I have to, and am I expected to be excited about it?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #34
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Get ready for lots of Ray Rhodes zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Do I have to, and am I expected to be excited about it?
Or, on the other hand, what would be wrong with it?

They're not going to have shut-down corners, and they are not going to with a 'man' defense, so . . . . . . .
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #35
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Or, on the other hand, what would be wrong with it?

They're not going to have shut-down corners, and they are not going to with a 'man' defense, so . . . . . . .
so this changes the CB's we're targeting with our 1st rd pick...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #36
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacque Reeves anyone?

Thoughts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...?urn=nfl,69284
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacque Reeves anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Thoughts?
A--look around for other threads on the same subject. B--see above.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read