Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2008   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Flanagan and Hogdon out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
We've never drafted a free safety before. We've drafted our share of strong safeties: Ramon Walker, Glenn Earl, CC Brown and then this past year we drafted Brandon Harrison.
Harrison was drafted to be a FS, although he did play more at SS in college (except Stanford doesn't have traditional SS and FS distinctions). Ramon Walker played FS his last year of college.

Last edited by infantrycak; 02-20-2008 at 01:50 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #42
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I don't know, that 2.5 million dead cap next year would be a pain. I may be alone in this, but I'd like to see Green in a Texans uni this season. The cap room might be able to help us, but IMO it's not worth screwing us over next year. Plus, I think that Green can contribute, IF he stays healthy, and I know, that's a pretty big assumption since Green is always injured. I just see positives of keeping Green outweighes the positives of releasing him and losing all that cap space.
You're not alone in that. Nobody in FA really jumps out at me and I'm not really interested in Turner. I'm personally 50-50 on keeping Dayne. Got to give Dayne a decent workload or else he's not really productive IMO. At this point in Green's Career good third down back who'd be good on screens.

I hope Walker catches on here again next year. Everyone wants the homerun back but that's what I think going over the top with WR is for myself. I personally want a guy who can pick up the blitz, recognizes cut backs & running lanes, knows when to be an escape valve and homerun speed is icing on the cake to me. I
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Flanagan/Hogdon/Barber/Putzier out

I'm excited to see what Harrison can do, very smart player.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #44
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Further, Demps is not a good fit here. Believe the mockers boards if you want. I sat up and watched the guy turn in three mediocre preformances in the wee hours of the morning. Athlete...yes. Football player ....no. he's going to blow the drills away next tuesday...buyer beware.
Old 02-20-2008   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
You're not alone in that. Nobody in FA really jumps out at me and I'm not really interested in Turner. I'm personally 50-50 on keeping Dayne. Got to give Dayne a decent workload or else he's not really productive IMO. At this point in Green's Career good third down back who'd be good on screens.

I hope Walker catches on here again next year. Everyone wants the homerun back but that's what I think going over the top with WR is for myself. I personally want a guy who can pick up the blitz, recognizes cut backs & running lanes, knows when to be an escape valve and homerun speed is icing on the cake to me. I
A good scouting department can find you those creatures on the second day. What's that fellas name up in Green Bay...Grant ?
Old 02-20-2008   #46
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

I'm going to do you one better.....I think Green will be VERY productive next year. Nay-say all you want, I think he will surprise a lot of people and be a big part of our offense. Put me on record!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I don't know, that 2.5 million dead cap next year would be a pain. I may be alone in this, but I'd like to see Green in a Texans uni this season. The cap room might be able to help us, but IMO it's not worth screwing us over next year. Plus, I think that Green can contribute, IF he stays healthy, and I know, that's a pretty big assumption since Green is always injured. I just see positives of keeping Green outweighes the positives of releasing him and losing all that cap space.
We need help now. $2.5 dead $ is drop in bucket as we get more fiscally responsible with Chris Olsen doing contracts. $4 million can bring on a decent back up and we know what Smith can do. I say use the $4m now.

Green could be a 1000 yarder but do we take that chance? Do we draft a Stewart or Mendenhall or Forte and let that person be the man? We gambled with Green and lost. I hope someone offers something to take Green off our hands.
Old 02-20-2008   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't think we'd take a strong safety after taking a FS in the 4th and knowing we took a SS in the 5th or was it 6th round last year. Plus you've got a Brandon Mitchell from last year that got injured, Glenn Earl, etc. If we want to address SS we need to do it early, or we are just canceling out an old draft pick.

Demps would be a nice addition at FS. We've never drafted a free safety before. Check that, we drafted Jamaal Lord out of Nebraska as a FS prospect. Too bad he was a QB in college, and did not contribute. We've drafted our share of strong safeties: Ramon Walker, Glenn Earl, CC Brown and then this past year we drafted Brandon Harrison.

Glenn Earl in the fourth round is the highest selected safety of this franchise. CC Brown in the 6th round was the best value, and he was the most productive. I know that's painfully true on all three accounts.
Most people have not been satisfied with our safeties. I did not post this but if Earl is not resigned; CC Brown is tendered but we get a draft pick as he is signed by another team; Boulaware is signed only through 2008; Demps may be heading elsewhere; that leaves us basically with Boulaware, Brandon Mitchell whom we know little about, Harrison whom I like but remains a ? and 5'8" 198 s/cb Jason Simmons. Hutchins a UFA can play FS but I have him as a nickle CB. A SS is then a possibility. Personally I think CC and Earl will be re-signed.
Old 02-20-2008   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I'm going to do you one better.....I think Green will be VERY productive next year. Nay-say all you want, I think he will surprise a lot of people and be a big part of our offense. Put me on record!
I got you on record but I think you are going around and around. Look, I'm not against Green, but can we afford another year at risk with him? Almost like waiting for Mathis to grow up. May not happen.
Old 02-20-2008   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We need help now. $2.5 dead $ is drop in bucket as we get more fiscally responsible with Chris Olsen doing contracts. $4 million can bring on a decent back up and we know what Smith can do. I say use the $4m now.

Green could be a 1000 yarder but do we take that chance? Do we draft a Stewart or Mendenhall or Forte and let that person be the man? We gambled with Green and lost. I hope someone offers something to take Green off our hands.
I don't think we've lost on Green just yet. After watching Kubiaks video on chron.com, he solidified my thoughts about Green being here next season. He seemed highly confident Green will be here. He also seems to still be optimistic about Chris Taylor.

FWIW, he didn't mention Dayne at all.
Old 02-20-2008   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't think we've lost on Green just yet. After watching Kubiaks video on chron.com, he solidified my thoughts about Green being here next season. He seemed highly confident Green will be here. He also seems to still be optimistic about Chris Taylor.

FWIW, he didn't mention Dayne at all.
yeah but is he bringing the company line on a very expensive bust? He also indicated RB was a position that needed upgrade as he did with LT. You can also look at Green like Mario who was hurt and then had a great season. I'm not looking at Green that way. Hope I'm wrong if we keep him.
Old 02-20-2008   #52
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

After what happened with DD/W I am worried about putting too much faith in an injuried RB. I do not want the same running game we have had for the last two seasons. I liked DD/W. I like Green and I like Dayne but we need more production out of the RB spot. It would keep the D's more honest and take away some of the 3 runs from the one and kick a field goal garbage we sat through last season. If we don't get a high draft pick RB we need to get a 1st round O-lineman to open bigger holes.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #53
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Mods:

Why has the thread title changed?

It led me to believe that we actually released these guys. I scanned through the entire thread again, just to see if I was on crack, and I don't see where it says that these guys are "out."

I'm confused. (No cheap shots, please....)
Old 02-20-2008   #54
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Mods:

Why has the thread title changed?

It led me to believe that we actually released these guys. I scanned through the entire thread again, just to see if I was on crack, and I don't see where it says that these guys are "out."

I'm confused. (No cheap shots, please....)
Quote:
The Texans parted ways with four players on Wednesday. The team released linebacker Shawn Barber, center Mike Flanagan and tight end Jeb Putzier and waived center Drew Hodgdon.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4190

There is your link.
Old 02-20-2008   #55
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Put me down for that as well. What little he played, he sure had "burst".
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #56
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I would love to have a great running back on the team that wows the crowd and petrifies the defenses. but honestly with Drob out and no real FS I think we need to concentrate on the glaring issues, secondary and LT to me, are the main offseason concerns we should be looking at. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2008   #57
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

32 scouting departments missed Grant on the second day in '05. He wasn't drafted.

I'll go on record as saying Ahman Green isn't on the 53 opening week.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
32 scouting departments missed Grant on the second day in '05. He wasn't drafted.

I'll go on record as saying Ahman Green isn't on the 53 opening week.
Ok. Now really go out on a limb and tell us what Texans will do with RB corps. Draft (where and whom) or free agency. Make me proud of you aj!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read