Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2008   #41
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "No big name signings here.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
here is my logic. we need help on defense. either improved secondary to help our pass rush or improved pass rush to help our secondary. one or the other. Personally, I think you might be able to get better value from a FA contract for a DL coming off a lesser season like Justin Smith than any of the top DB talent out there right now. Trufant and Samuels are not within our grasp but I think Justin could be. If we could sign Justin Smith, Andre Davis, and Randall Gay as our FA crop, we would be set. To even do 2 of those 3 would be a good FA haul. We will get some other lower profile FA and a few RS quality bargains off the streets to help provide depth.

This offseason reminds me of the 7-9 season offseason. We thought we were close and we pretty much stood pat and did little in the offseason. next thing you know we are 2-14. To stand pat and go status quo is asking for trouble imho. Our division is going to be brutal again and who is to say we will go 7-3 outside the division next year. They need to do something, that is for sure especially with our status in this years draft.

Don't go jumping just yet, the offseason just started basically. I have not heard of any major signings as of yet from any team. So to be already stammering we haven't signed anyone is being pissemistic. Give RS and Kubiak a little time and the bennefit of the doubt about what they are doing. They seem to have done very well so far.
Old 02-20-2008   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224911 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
This offseason reminds me of the 7-9 season offseason.
Not really a surprise nothing has happened yet since teams can't sign UFA's until February 29th.

Quote:
Q - When does the free agency signing period begin?
A - 12:01 AM ET on Friday, February 29
Link
Old 02-20-2008   #43
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Don't go jumping just yet, the offseason just started basically. I have not heard of any major signings as of yet from any team. So to be already stammering we haven't signed anyone is being pissemistic. Give RS and Kubiak a little time and the bennefit of the doubt about what they are doing. They seem to have done very well so far.
spec, I totally agree with you. You may have misunderstood me, I was more pointing out that the two offseasons seem similar in that there is a lot of promise and hope in the air. The difference is Asserley did nothing that offseason whereas this year's offseason just began and we have a better GM in charge now. I wasn't deriding RS or Kubes for not signing anyone because as you stated, the offseason just started. I just want us to have a better offseason than we did after the 7-9 year or we could have history repeat itself if we stand pat and rest on our laurels. That 7-3 non-division record is a badge of honor and could be an omen of great things to come but it could also be an omen for tough times ahead. I just want them to continue to add pieces and not lose any big pieces.

I am totally down with RS and have been since the day they signed him as the new GM. he hasn't gotten rid of Richard yet but he did do a masterful job adding proven coaching talent to our team in the form of Gibbs and Rhodes. I am happy with RS 99%.
Old 02-20-2008   #44
Ckw

Quote:
spec, I totally agree with you. You may have misunderstood me, I was more pointing out that the two offseasons seem similar in that there is a lot of promise and hope in the air. The difference is Asserley did nothing that offseason whereas this year's offseason just began and we have a better GM in charge now. I wasn't deriding RS or Kubes for not signing anyone because as you stated, the offseason just started. I just want us to have a better offseason than we did after the 7-9 year or we could have history repeat itself if we stand pat and rest on our laurels. That 7-3 non-division record is a badge of honor and could be an omen of great things to come but it could also be an omen for tough times ahead. I just want them to continue to add pieces and not lose any big pieces.

I am totally down with RS and have been since the day they signed him as the new GM. he hasn't gotten rid of Richard yet but he did do a masterful job adding proven coaching talent to our team in the form of Gibbs and Rhodes. I am happy with RS 99%.
You're so much nicer of a poster since we got rid of your boy David.
Old 02-20-2008   #45
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not really a surprise nothing has happened yet since teams can't sign UFA's until February 29th.

Link
once again, i am not saying that our activity this offseason is reminiscient of the offseason before 2-14 but rather the team's perceived state is similar. after the 7-9 season there was a lot of promise and a lot of us felt we were pretty close to being competitive. Well then Casserley makes bad moves and does little to actually improve the team, and then the team nosedives to Worst Team In NFL status.

I am well aware that we still have a lot, if not all, of the offseason to go.
Old 02-20-2008   #46
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Damn do not get him started again, he might go off.
Old 02-20-2008   #47
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
yeah, the team has been a lot nicer to watch too. no more fresno tucks.
Old 02-20-2008   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224911 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
once again, i am not saying that our activity this offseason is reminiscient of the offseason before 2-14 but rather the team's perceived state is similar. after the 7-9 season there was a lot of promise and a lot of us felt we were pretty close to being competitive. Well then Casserley makes bad moves and does little to actually improve the team, and then the team nosedives to Worst Team In NFL status.

I am well aware that we still have a lot, if not all, of the offseason to go.
Now I understand where you are coming from better.

I (a) do not think this regime is anything like the last one and (b) don't think everything can be laid at Casserly's doorstep (and I am glad he is gone so don't misunderstand).

Big events after 7-9

1) Listen to Pendry and ditch Wand in favor of Riley--who ultimately doesn't even finish the season.
2) Get rid of Sharper--this is significant to me not as a bad decision because the medical staff was right and he was done, but because it left a gaping hole in the D.
3) Let Aaron Glenn go--they should have sucked it up and paid his last year of contract.
4) Trade for Buchanon thereby losing two draft picks and then can't coach him up to be useful at all.
5) Sign DD to a contract extension prematurely.
6) Move Coleman and let McCree walk.
7) Used draft picks on guys they had no expectation would start such as Morency and Hodgdon.
8) Let Pendry have say in the O and dump all the off-season work after two games.

Top to bottom, coaches to GM--bad off-season.
Old 02-20-2008   #49
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Damn do not get him started again, he might go off.
dont get me started. don't even get me started.
Old 02-20-2008   #50
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Now I understand where you are coming from better.

I (a) do not think this regime is anything like the last one and (b) don't think everything can be laid at Casserly's doorstep (and I am glad he is gone so don't misunderstand).

Big events after 7-9

1) Listen to Pendry and ditch Wand in favor of Riley--who ultimately doesn't even finish the season.
2) Get rid of Sharper--this is significant to me not as a bad decision because the medical staff was right and he was done, but because it left a gaping hole in the D.
3) Let Aaron Glenn go--they should have sucked it up and paid his last year of contract.
4) Trade for Buchanon thereby losing two draft picks and then can't coach him up to be useful at all.
5) Sign DD to a contract extension prematurely.
6) Move Coleman and let McCree walk.
7) Used draft picks on guys they had no expectation would start such as Morency and Hodgdon.
8) Let Pendry have say in the O and dump all the off-season work after two games.

Top to bottom, coaches to GM--bad off-season.
thats it in a nutshell and a great post. you always know your history and you don't try to put lipstick on a pig and go revisionist historian on us. i was one of the few who pooh-pooh'ed the DD resigning...not because I didn't like the guy but because we didn't have to resign him yet, so why do it. it was some sort of 'you're our guy' reward contract similar to us picking up DC's max extension. We were always worried about hurting player's feelings and not worried about how those moves could hurt our franchise if things didn't work out. That has changed under RS. Play or be played is the new motto.

ultimately my biggest problems were trading too much for PBuc and dumping Glenn and McRee. If they would have kept Glenn and McRee, the PBuc trade could have actually worked out for us....and who knows, things could be much different around here.
Old 02-20-2008   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
ultimately my biggest problems were trading too much for PBuc and dumping Glenn and McRee. If they would have kept Glenn and McRee, the PBuc trade could have actually worked out for us....and who knows, things could be much different around here.
Folks forget the Texans were 5th in the league with 22 INT's in 2004. 2005 we were 31st with 7.

That leads however to a distinction between 2004 and 2007. 2004 the team got several "extra" wins off turnovers. When they didn't replicate the positive differential in 2005 they plummeted in wins. 2007 the Texans got to 8-8 despite a horrific 31st in the league -17 turnover differential.
Old 02-20-2008   #52
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Folks forget the Texans were 5th in the league with 22 INT's in 2004. 2005 we were 31st with 7.

That leads however to a distinction between 2004 and 2007. 2004 the team got several "extra" wins off turnovers. When they didn't replicate the positive differential in 2005 they plummeted in wins. 2007 the Texans got to 8-8 despite a horrific 31st in the league -17 turnover differential.
good point and it is food for positive thought about 2008. one would think if they can hold onto the ball better and cause more turnovers, things could go the opposite way that they went between 2004 and 2005. that would bode well for 2008 success.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read