Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2008   #1
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our Zone Blocking Scheme

Well, this thread doesn't have anything to do with the offseason (I know, gasp!). I was just thinking about the ZBS we run and how every offseason we're scrambling to find light footed OLinemen that "fit" the ZBS.

I was watching the Cowboys (and yes, I'm aware that this did NOT win them a playoff game) and the Giants and I noticed that their line schemes are radically different than what we've been shooting for for the last couple years with Kubiak and his Denver style offense.

While watching the Cowboys and the Giants, I was made painfully aware of their lines, more specifically, the size of their lines, on both offense and defense. The Cowboys completely outsized their opponents and powered the opposing lines off the line, giving the RB an automatic 2-3 yards almost.

And that got me thinking, have any of you ever regretted the choice to develop our line into the zone blocking scheme, instead of a more smash mouth, power line, like what Sherman tried to bring?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Our Zone Blocking Scheme

Whatever works, man. I don't care what they go with or what scheme it is, so long as it dominates on the field.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the problem is that we haven't really come up with a scheme (zone vs. power) and mix of linemen to be really effective. With Kubiak and Sherman working together, they tried to mix schemes and create a synthesis of very different styles. And it never really worked. At least, not consistently.

As long as what we do works, I'll be happy. I don't care if it's smaller linemen playing smarter or with bigger guys brawling.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think the problem is that we haven't really come up with a scheme (zone vs. power) and mix of linemen to be really effective. With Kubiak and Sherman working together, they tried to mix schemes and create a synthesis of very different styles. And it never really worked. At least, not consistently.

As long as what we do works, I'll be happy. I don't care if it's smaller linemen playing smarter or with bigger guys brawling.
i believe that's half of it is that we're running mixed scheme, the other half is that we're using mixed personnel. we have some guys with decent mobility but we're still atleast 2 years away from having the gritty smaller guys with the quickness to move through multiple blocks. right now it seems like we're grabbing depth and testing possibilities with players like eslinger, frye, butler, studdard, etc. the real setback was losing spencer who though he doesnt appear it has tremendous mobility and was the bookend we needed opposite winston. when you look at the strongest offensive lines like dallas they have exactly the right players to fit their big bullying rushing game, just like denver did for the longest time with their smaller more agile players in the ZBS scheme (and were one of if not the most effective rushing offenses).

i much prefer the ZBS but it's a more difficult scheme to create and will take some time finding the right pieces. kubiak and gibbs are the masterminds of that system and i'm more excited thinking about them assembling our offense. with sherman out of the way i think we'll see the change to be obvious, as it was during that first preseason where we ran the ZBS almost exclusively.
Old 02-01-2008   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep your way...very nice take. I got the coach Dent's break down on ZBS in here within the last month. It's a good read.
Old 02-01-2008   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Rep your way...very nice take. I got the coach Dent's break down on ZBS in here within the last month. It's a good read.
thanks for the rep ttp. would you have a link to coach's post? i always enjoy his writings and usually agree with his take on things ... i must've missed this one.
Old 02-01-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer definitely was a huge set back. I think this team would be completely different if (1) he never got injured and (2) proved to be the LT we needed/wanted.

Personally I prefer the BIG powerful OL that just dominates the DL. It's awesome watching a game where the RB runs with pretty much no effort and gets 10 easy yards because the OL just pushes the DL and linebackers out of the way.

The thing I like about the ZBS though Is that many of these players can be had in the later rounds (basically most teams pass on them and look for the bigger OL). It's harder to find starters right away in these later rounds, but once the line develops- it's perfect to target these players on the 2nd day and have them building up as depth and possibly eventual starters upon someone's injury, trade, or retirement. The you can focus on more 'skill' positions in the 1st/2nd round ...again..because they OL is already developed. It's hard to have a good offense if you have a bad OL.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read