Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Crow being eaten at ESPN: "O-line better than predicted"

This is from an article on ESPN.com where the columnist re-visits his 100 Offseason Predictions (from last year). We're at No. 86.

Quote:
86:

The Houston Texans didn't get a new offensive line, right? Until they do, it doesn't matter how much they paid quarterback Matt Schaub ($48 million -- $7 mil guaranteed -- despite just two career starts) or that 30-year-old Ahman Green is the new starting tailback (as opposed to, you know, drafting Reggie Bush). Here's an idea: ½-step drops for Schaub.

Wrong.

The Texans bumped up their wins from six in 2006 to eight in 2007, while reducing their sacks allowed from 43 to 22. That's only one sack more than the Patriots gave up and six fewer than the Pats' Super Bowl opponent, the Giants. As an added bonus, the Texans' O-line made fill-in running back Ron Dayne look good (773 yards, 4.0 per carry, six TDs).
link: 100 Offseason Predictions, Re-Visited
Old 01-24-2008   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Crow being eaten at ESPN: "O-line better than predicted"

From the same people who said that VY and Reggie were no miss mistakes for us ?

If they stand pat on the o-line this off seson, we'll be top ten in the draft in '09.
Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ...well you know the rest. Static is death in the NFL.
Old 01-24-2008   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
From the same people who said that VY and Reggie were no miss mistakes for us ?

If they stand pat on the o-line this off seson, we'll be top ten in the draft in '09.
Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ...well you know the rest. Static is death in the NFL.
If we stand pat on o-line, then our franchise is under a curse. It could be a decade before we see a Texans front office staff who puts the o-line at the proper priority it deserves. People like to say that defense wins championships, but I gotta' start thinking that the o-line might be challenging the defense for that claim.

I like how we reduced sacks, but we need our QB to have the same sort of time as Brady has had.
Old 01-24-2008   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans another covert, radar avoiding destructive device coming to an arena near you in 2008. You may not see them coming, but you will know it when they arrive!

I just love the sound of twin superchargers and dual carburetors of 1BADBOY in the morning.
Old 01-24-2008   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If we stand pat on o-line, then our franchise is under a curse. It could be a decade before we see a Texans front office staff who puts the o-line at the proper priority it deserves. People like to say that defense wins championships, but I gotta' start thinking that the o-line might be challenging the defense for that claim.

I like how we reduced sacks, but we need our QB to have the same sort of time as Brady has had.
No doubt. I think they are working in that direction by hiring Alex Gibbs. We've got a coach that knows good line play and how to teach it, so mix in a few more players and we might start to see some consistency.
Old 01-24-2008   #6
Polo

I dunno, but I've seen several times where Brady has been absolutely crushed in the pocket...

Even Super Man had his days....

Brady's line mixed with his pocket awarness probably create more times where the d-line looks totatlly inneffective, but I'm not sure that that is 100%because of the talent invested in their O-line....I think it's because of a mixture of things....Coaching, confidence, offensive rythym, a Beastly QB, and of course their own talent...

I just don't think that when it comes to O-lines being effective as a whole spending a first day pick neccessarily = better O-line. I'm not opposed to spending high picks on O-linemen, I just don't think it "has" to be done.

If I know my O-line coach is Joe Gibbs, and my D-coordinator is Richard Smithers I might be more inclined to get as much talent on D as I could...

But que sara sara.
Old 01-24-2008   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I dunno, but I've seen several times where Brady has been absolutely crushed in the pocket....
Every team's QB is going to get crushed from time to time. It's how you mitigate. We in Houston have seen the QB get crushed for years. Thsi year, we didn't see a ton of crushing plays (a few, though), but we also never saw the QB standing in the pocket scanning, waiting, waiting some more, and then waiting some more, like you did with Brady quite a few times this year. If we can get those type of plays to counter the QB-crushing plays, then we'll be a lot further along. Our QBs did a good job of moving around this year. Brady didn't have to, very much.
Old 01-24-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of the OLine, what are the Texans gonna do with the sloth-footed
Kasey Studdard now that A. Gibbs and his bias towards greyhounds for his ZB
approach to OLine systems is in command ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #9
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Every team's QB is going to get crushed from time to time. It's how you mitigate. We in Houston have seen the QB get crushed for years. Thsi year, we didn't see a ton of crushing plays (a few, though), but we also never saw the QB standing in the pocket scanning, waiting, waiting some more, and then waiting some more, like you did with Brady quite a few times this year. If we can get those type of plays to counter the QB-crushing plays, then we'll be a lot further along. Our QBs did a good job of moving around this year. Brady didn't have to, very much.
We didnt't see it as much as the Pats did, but there were times when the O-line gave our QB's ample time....I can even recall watching games and hearing the announcers make note of that on a few occasions...

But anywho, that's besides the point...I acknowledged that the Pats have a better O-line..I wasn't disputing that...

All I merely said was that I don't think it's neccessarily due to their O-linemen's individual talents...I think coaching, heart, offensive rythm, having a great QB, Great WR's, yada yada yad all have a lot to do with it...

My point was that if the Texans don't pick up a LT with either of their first two picks I won't be terribly bummed...If they do pick one up, I won't be bummed...As long as it's not a kicker, QB I won't complain...
Old 01-24-2008   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
We didnt't see it as much as the Pats did, but there were times when the O-line gave our QB's ample time....I can even recall watching games and hearing the announcers make note of that on a few occasions...

But anywho, that's besides the point...I acknowledged that the Pats have a better O-line..I wasn't disputing that...

All I merely said was that I don't think it's neccessarily due to their O-linemen's individual talents...I think coaching, heart, offensive rythm, having a great QB, Great WR's, yada yada yad all have a lot to do with it...

My point was that if the Texans don't pick up a LT with either of their first two picks I won't be terribly bummed...If they do pick one up, I won't be bummed...As long as it's not a kicker, QB I won't complain...
I completely agree. The hiring of Gibbs tells me they're serious about getting the line fixed, and if they draft O-line in later rounds this year, I won't be as concerned as I may have been in years past.
Old 01-24-2008   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a great point. Even though Schaub's got better pocket presence than Carr did, it doesn't matter if he gets drilled when he does take a sack.

And Schaub has gotten creamed when he's gotten sacked. That's on the line.

I think that avoiding sacks is the main advantage that Sage has over Schaub (not that I'm trying to turn this into another Sage thread.)
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #12
Polo

Most of the INT's Schaub threw, I could look at them and say to myself..."Ok...I see what you were trying to do...shoulda made a better decision, but I see what you were thinking"

When Sage throws a pick it's like ", OMG, I can't believe you just did that"

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I just think Matt has qualities that make him a potential starter, and Sage has qualities that make him a career back-up...But a very good career back-up...

I see a lot of mistakes Schaub makes that can be coached up or learned through experience, with Sage I think he pretty much is what he is...maybe in another life time though...
Old 01-24-2008   #13
samomin
Veteran

Quote:
67:
AFC South finish: 1. Indianapolis, 2. Jacksonville, 3. Tennessee, 4. Houston.

Right.

In exact order.
That's sad.
Old 01-24-2008   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of the INT's Schaub threw, I could look at them and say to myself..."Ok...I see what you were trying to do...shoulda made a better decision, but I see what you were thinking"

When Sage throws a pick it's like ", OMG, I can't believe you just did that"

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I just think Matt has qualities that make him a potential starter, and Sage has qualities that make him a career back-up...But a very good career back-up...

I see a lot of mistakes Schaub makes that can be coached up or learned through experience, with Sage I think he pretty much is what he is...maybe in another life time though...
I understand completely what you are saying. Rep to you.

Some of Matt's throws were like pretty bad too. He threw some pretty bad balls into double coverage, sometimes in the endzone, but he also made alot of good plays. Matt seemed to be rushing things this year. His mistakes aren't too difficult to fix. I hope he slows down a bit, but in order to do that he needs protection.

I think coaching Schaub has just really started for Kubiak. He needed to get some PT behind Schaub and work with his confidence. I bet Kubiak really works him hard in 2008.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I kinda disagree with this. Granted, we didn't always get a ton of time but there were several times this year when our QB's had all day to throw. Just go back to the Denver game. There were a lot of plays where Sage was just sitting back there forever. And we got plays like that in several of the games we played this year.

And, yes, we'd like more of those plays but I think it's wrong to say that we never got any of them.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read