Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2008   #141
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans trying to hire Alex Gibbs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
Sooooooo........

Who coaches the QB's now?
Shannahan will still coach the QB's.
Old 01-10-2008   #142
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Texans hire Alex Gibbs...promote Shanihan to OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
yup. TJ knows that football is a full contact sport and isn't afraid to lay the wood to someone to send a message. When people are cheapshotting you or throwing downfield up by 30 in the 4th Quarter, its time to lay the wood. We need more like TJ imho. guys that arent afraid to stick their nose in it.
There are more intelligent ways to do it, and more intelligent times to do it than those situations and times that TJ has chosen to do the things he does. That's my only issue with it. Haynesworth is an example. I don't think he got as many 15-yd personal fouls called on him this season, yet I would fear him a lot more than TJ.
Old 01-10-2008   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Interesting to note that George Foster, who was one of Denver's first round OTs, is a free agent from Detroit this offseason. I think Foster went to Detroit in the Dre Bly trade, but may be mistake.
FYI, Foster is a RT, so I don't know how that would jibe with what we want to do in free agency.
I was pointing out Denver's record of finding better OL talent for their system in the later rounds than in the early rounds. I'd expect Kubiak & Gibbs to continue do the same here.
Old 01-10-2008   #144
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...45&postcount=8

Old 01-10-2008   #145
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I posted it the other day they will be looking for four more just like Erick Winston...The olt being the lone exception and have a longer wing span. The last Great Denver OLT was a conveted TE from Colorodo Matt Lepsis. The link is in the draft and College boards. The beauty of the system is that you can groom guys to fit. Much like in the 3-4 defense you're looking for tweener guys in the middle rounds...Like Ezra Butler and TCU's Tommy Blake to fill the OLB role, in this scheme you're looking for guys who can run and are quick enough to get angles on guys. Spencer might fit. The problem with the scheme is we have great DTs within the division. Basicaly you're tring to get guys running out of poition and then sealing them and creating a running lane. One thing you can be certain of...anyone who posts a poor wonderlick will not be picked. You gotta be able to think quick on your feet.

'nother thing I just thought of...I though that Frye would make a good ZBS center. Especailly in our division. He's not prototypical....but He quats 685 and is quick and kinda stumpy. I think he will make a good barometer. If anyone can get it out of him Gibbs can.
Thanks Pete @ the combine we should look for o-line with good 40 times & 3cone drill times with good wunderlich scores. NO V.Y. clones hahaha
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #146
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My sleeper pick 6th rd. Brad Cottam TE Tennessee

Texans future starting LT
Old 01-11-2008   #147
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are coaches who have different oppinion about the use of the FB in ZBS.

Here are some thoughts of Jeff Jagodzinski (Packers' OC, learning from Alex Gibbs in Atlanta) why the FB isn't neccessarily at a disadvantage against the LB:

"The reason the fullback doesn't need to be a big, bruising blocker is the way the zone scheme works. As the offensive line flows in one direction, with each lineman responsible for an area rather than an individual defender, it's harder for a linebacker to simply pick a hole and attack. So when the fullback is making the read on the defender he needs to block, that player isn't likely to have a full head of steam.

He's assigned a specific guy, but he's got all those linemen in front of him, knowing their respective gaps, so he doesn't have linebackers running downhill on him all the time," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "You don't have to be that big hammer to be a fullback in this system."

Full article here:http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/08/24/2/

Last edited by 76Texan; 01-12-2008 at 12:18 AM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #148
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the hiring of Gibbs is great news for a kid like Rashad Butler. If Butler can add some of the weight he dropped in Carolina, I expect him to atleast battle for a starting spot, and his most natural position in a ZBS might just be LT.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #149
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think the hiring of Gibbs is great news for a kid like Rashad Butler. If Butler can add some of the weight he dropped in Carolina, I expect him to atleast battle for a starting spot, and his most natural position in a ZBS might just be LT.
Agreed
This is a big offseason for him, he needs to put on about 20 lbs of muscle.
Old 01-11-2008   #150
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing about FB in the ZBS, I think, is to keep the play action pass option open. Like the one to A.J. in the Chiefs game.

We had shown a couple of running plays before that, and now the LBs, the LCB and the FS all bite.

And it's not like we're asking the FB to meet the LB the whole game long. Perhaps half a dozen time, I'm not even sure that much, especially head on.

Last edited by 76Texan; 01-12-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2008   #151
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63751 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Weird conflicting info. I know you got that directly from someone with the team, but Chester Pitts on 610 am one time said he was never given a specific weight he had to reach or be fined.
Yeah - he didn't have to weigh a specific weight like 310. He just had to be under 311*.

*Example numbers just made up and have no reflection on reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yeah, McKinney downplayed the weight thing too when Kubiak first came over.

I heard it from a couple sources with the team.

Maybe it only applied to a few guys on the line.
I'm pretty sure they all had weights they had to meet, which they all did but Spencer.
Old 01-12-2008   #152
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
All this info on the "correct" zone blocking scheme makes me hope that Gibbs comes in and sets things straight.

Here is the thing though.. the use of fullbacks is not a "new" thing with the ZBS and the NFL. Fullbacks were used extensively in Denver while they were making the ZBS famous.

Now..its true that fullbacks in the "Denver" scheme were not used the same way others used them..yes they did run blocking but they were also (more importantly) used as receivers and for misdirection.. (I think...im pretty much talking out my ass here).

Anyway..my question is.. can the ZBS be implemented "fully" and still make use of our FB?

Either way..I hope Gibbs comes in and gives us a real honest-to-god direction to move forward with on the Oline.

That's a good question. Our Fb should of got a pro bowl invite in my book.
I don't have a good answer.

I'm not going to look up all of the names of tackles that were picked by the franchise and didn't make it. What I will say is that every time one failed, it set us back a couple of years.

From my tree, they had what they had on the roster. And what they had on the roster lent itself to running the Green Bay power game with the Denver passing attack prinkled on top. I think Sherman did an outstanding job for what he had to work with. Kubiak and the boys play calling was outstanding.
But you're only going to go so far when the threat of A.J. was taken away and the guys on the roster have limited ablities. We had one guy and only one guy on the roster who conistantly, when faced with the execution of a block one on one in space, made the play. That there thingy should be all you need to know. That will change shortly. Book it.
Old 01-12-2008   #153
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Man Peyton Hillis would be a monster in the ZBS.

RB in the first, Hillis in the 5th
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #154
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another play with the FB in ZBS.
Panthers game, 5 min 1st quarter.
Showing a counter run to the right when the line pulls to the left. The FB seems to declare where we run, that's what we like the defense to think.
All 3 LBs bought the run. Another nice play action fake, 33 yd gain for A.J.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read