Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-11-2005   #1
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Default Seth Payne

Could the Texans franchise seth payne? keep him around one more year, see if he can be healthy, that way they can avoid a long term contract, if he gets hurt, and if he doesnt then they can sign him after the year to a short term contract
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

while seth is a good player in our system, no offense but he does not deserve to be paided franchise level money. he's good but he is not one of the top 5 players in his position.
Old 02-11-2005   #3
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

Quote:
while seth is a good player in our system, no offense but he does not deserve to be paided franchise level money. he's good but he is not one of the top 5 players in his position.
Exactly. We would have to pay this guy some serious cash, something we don't have a lot of right now and we would not be spending it wisely. I doubt this guy is the Top 5 in his position, let alone the Top oh say 20, but you can argue he is when he is healthy.
Old 02-11-2005   #4
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think that we have a good chance of resigning Seth Payne even if we dont franchis him.
Old 02-11-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger

Exactly. We would have to pay this guy some serious cash, something we don't have a lot of right now and we would not be spending it wisely. I doubt this guy is the Top 5 in his position, let alone the Top oh say 20, but you can argue he is when he is healthy.
Payne isn't going to command serious cash on the open market coming off of back to back surgeries in consecutive seasons. I think the odds are high that we resign him again to a smaller shorter contract. He is working out daily in our weight room and he is still a good fit here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im with the majority here , NO Franchise Tag for Payne , top 5 position money is money waseted considering injuries in back to back seasons leading to surgery . He'll most likely be back with the Texans but expect a 1-3 year deal .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #7
cyanides
Rookie

He won't be slapped with a franchise tag. No telling how much the Texans will be willing to pay him to stay. Remember G Funk last year? Played in only 4 games in injury plaqued 2003 season and still signed to a pretty sweet deal.

What about Boselli? I really don't remember his contract numbers. I think those weren't too shabby either. I don't think he played the last season with the Jags and he never played for us.

Texans have no problem signing broken guys to big contracts in hopes they return to pro bowl form. The biggest reason why this probably won't happen for Payne is cap space.
cyanides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2005   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Payne doesn't have franchise value.

Capers loves the guy and from what I've been reading, he's on the road to recovery from his latest injury. He was arguably our best DL last season but his market value will be hurt by his recent injury problems. Sux for Seth but it may be a blessing in disguise for the Texans who can't afford to give him anywhere near what they gave to Smith and Walker. Too bad they panicked and overpaid Walker. Jerry DeLoach would have been as productive as Walker last year - at a fraction of the cost.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

with two season ending injuries in a row and the fact that he is now over 30 years old...he will be back next year for the veteran min. salary is my guess...which i think is like 750,000
Old 02-12-2005   #10
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

how much do players get paid in NFL?
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan
how much do players get paid in NFL?

I think the league minimum is like 300k a season?

Good players make 1-5 million per season.

Peyton manning and Michael Vick are making close to 10 million per season I think.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #12
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanides
He won't be slapped with a franchise tag. No telling how much the Texans will be willing to pay him to stay. Remember G Funk last year? Played in only 4 games in injury plaqued 2003 season and still signed to a pretty sweet deal.

What about Boselli? I really don't remember his contract numbers. I think those weren't too shabby either. I don't think he played the last season with the Jags and he never played for us.

Texans have no problem signing broken guys to big contracts in hopes they return to pro bowl form. The biggest reason why this probably won't happen for Payne is cap space.
Makes ya wonder ha?
Old 02-13-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
with two season ending injuries in a row and the fact that he is now over 30 years old...he will be back next year for the veteran min. salary is my guess...which i think is like 750,000
I'll bet on $2.5 mil per year--let's see who is closer. No way Payne gets vet minimum.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read