Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2008   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gibbs and the O-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I was always under the assumption that Sam Baker worked in a zone scheme with USC for his 3 years that he's been there.

In all honesty, I'm a little surprised that LZ thinks that the 1st round LT is a lock. 18 spots in the draft is a lot of spots down where a lot of people can already be off the board. I would think that the way Kubiak (And later on Kubiak and Smith) have drafted in the past would pretty much relegate us to a BPA at our spot type of thinking.

If Baker, Long, Clady, and Otah are all gone off the board, but both of the Jenkins (CB's) and Tali, and Phillips are on the board, I'd say we almost have to draft one of those guys.

And all this talk about being able to find O-line talent in the later rounds, and then coming back and saying 1st round LT is a lock, I'm sort of perplexed here.

Baker is an option. He is not prototypical, but he'll work. What I'm thinking is that if they play it right they can have two holes banged with the one and the three. I think you give the new guy his guy. Whether that is in the first round or not I dunno.

I don't like taking FS in the first out of hand. You save that roster spot for a corner whos on the back side of his career. Bennit is going to make a prety fair free safty six or seven years down the road.
Old 01-12-2008   #22
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep Gibbs will make a big difference and we only gave up 22 sacks last year he will definately help our running game and they said it was more so on the runnning backs so we will need to draft a good running back and possibly bring in another free agents running back. Ahman Green is a huge liability and Ron Dayne is only a 3rd string back at best.
Old 01-13-2008   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Baker is an option. He is not prototypical, but he'll work. What I'm thinking is that if they play it right they can have two holes banged with the one and the three. I think you give the new guy his guy. Whether that is in the first round or not I dunno.

I don't like taking FS in the first out of hand. You save that roster spot for a corner whos on the back side of his career. Bennit is going to make a prety fair free safty six or seven years down the road.
I'm not a ZBS expert by no means but I think that an element you have to have is , you have to be willing to chop block .

Guys like Gibbs and Forrest Greg will tell players ... if your not willing to chop block ... I'll find someone who is . That's where the tough / nasty attitude comes in . That's why he can get a 6th round pick who will do anything to stay in the league and make him a player .

The byproduct is ... a DB may think twice before he jacks up your QB .
Old 01-13-2008   #24
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.kffl.com/player/14028/nfl

Falcons | Forney complains about ex-coach's rules
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:39:25 -0700

Steve Wyche, of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons OG Kynan Forney was critical of former offensive line coach Alex Gibbs' policy of making offensive lineman weigh less than 300 pounds. Forney said the rule resulted in some players drastically cutting weight a night or two before weekly weigh-ins. "Everybody's glad that you don't have to be sitting around and stressing about starving yourself all week to make some weigh-in on Friday morning because somebody likes the way it looks on paper. They would tell you that you have to weigh 295 [pounds] so you'd be sitting up Wednesday and Thursday night starving sometimes. Sometimes you've got 330-pound, 340-pound [defensive tackles] across from you and as the season goes on, that can weigh on you. You had different guys starving themselves. That's crazy to me. We're not naturally sleek and lean. We were made to be sleeker and leaner," Forney said. Forney added that nobody raised issue because the Gibbs-taught zone-blocking scheme resulted in the Falcons leading the league in rushing for three consecutive seasons.
Old 01-13-2008   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
http://www.kffl.com/player/14028/nfl

Falcons | Forney complains about ex-coach's rules
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:39:25 -0700

Steve Wyche, of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons OG Kynan Forney was critical of former offensive line coach Alex Gibbs' policy of making offensive lineman weigh less than 300 pounds. Forney said the rule resulted in some players drastically cutting weight a night or two before weekly weigh-ins. "Everybody's glad that you don't have to be sitting around and stressing about starving yourself all week to make some weigh-in on Friday morning because somebody likes the way it looks on paper. They would tell you that you have to weigh 295 [pounds] so you'd be sitting up Wednesday and Thursday night starving sometimes. Sometimes you've got 330-pound, 340-pound [defensive tackles] across from you and as the season goes on, that can weigh on you. You had different guys starving themselves. That's crazy to me. We're not naturally sleek and lean. We were made to be sleeker and leaner," Forney said. Forney added that nobody raised issue because the Gibbs-taught zone-blocking scheme resulted in the Falcons leading the league in rushing for three consecutive seasons.
Boo-hoo. I think if I made a few hundred thousand a year (at least) I'd hire the best damn dietitian I could afford to make sure my boss was happy. That sounds like the crying of somebody who doesn't want to eat breathe and live football, and I think most of the linemen we have, or would bring in, are just that. I doubt Coach Gibbs thought much of him anyway, and when it comes down to it, Alex Gibbs is way more successful than Kynan Forney will ever be. It might be hard on our offensive line guys, but the ones who can grow under a tough coach and take what he has to teach and utilize it, they will be the better for it.

Here's to a season where we piss off Albert Haynesworth, rather than the other way around!
Old 01-13-2008   #26
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Played O-Line in a ZBS in high school and loved it. Though, it is pretty much a bunch of cheapshots put together, and you are making more than a conscious effort to intentionally hurt opposing player, which a lot of guys have problems with.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read