Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2008   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Crazy Dream About an Andre Johnson Trade

I might do it for their 1st and 2nd this year and 1st next year...but I don't think Miami would be willing to part with that. I'm a big AJ fan but you gotta look at building our team up to a solid contender.

With the #1 overall I try and trade down a few spots with someone wanting Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, or McFadden. I would take an undervalued trade just picking up a 2nd rounder to move down a few spots which would normally take another 1st rd pick. With apprx the 5th overall I try the exact same thing with someone wanting some other top tiered talent... move down a few more spots (nothing significant) and picking up another 1st day pick or future 1st day + this years 1st.

This isn't always the smart thing to do (take an uneven trade) but in our situation I think it would be a good move. We have drafted very very well the last two years and having multiple 1st day picks this year and in future years would be great with Kubiak and Smith running the show. I don't want to pay top 5 pick money at all. I think a lot of people/ teams would be for this but of course actually finding a trade down partner multiple times is very tough to do...that's why you have to let them have a great deal. Much much much easier said than done.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #22
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

nooooooooo

nothing short of the first, second and 3rd overall pick, or maybe the pats or minesota entire O line

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #23
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Cap considerations aside (which is as silly as suggesting such a trade would actually be there), but of course you pull the trigger on that deal. And hey I'm an AJ fan and he's easily our most valubale offensive player.
So tell me, who do you draft with those picks to replace him? There is minimal improvement considering you lose one of the best in football, for 2 picks that COULD be good. They could also stink. Yeah, pull the trigger on the gun you point at Parcells for even suggesting anything so rediculous. If we got their 1st,2nd, and 3rd for the next 2 years, maybe.

I dont lknow how any body can see a way to improve by losing the BEST PLAYER ON YOUR TEAM! And one of a few guys on our team that could start for anybody in the NFL. Who do we draft to replace him? Dre Davis and Walter are ok, but come on.

Last edited by BigBull17; 01-10-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Read another post
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #24
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

you dont trade a young superstar for the chance of getting another young superstar.. or even the chance of getting two young superstars. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush, so to speak.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #25
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
I just had a crazy dream that Miami offered us their 2008 1st and 2nd round draft picks (#1 & #33 overall) for Andre - would you do it? What is the minimum it would take for you to trade Andre, and what would be a realistic trade value be for Andre?
you need to stop smokin' dat sh!t before you go to bed, dude.

I would not trade A.J. for anyone.
Not even for Randy Moss (or Wes Welker) AND Asante Samuels, 2 fer one, plus a second day pick.
...although I'd probably think about it for a minute.
I can't think of any two players that Miami has that I'd want. Their defensive stars are on the downhill slide and they have no one that shows any promise on offense. And no, I'm not sold on Ted Ginn, Jr.

this thread brought to you by another "RealManofGenius"... "Mr. Impossible Trade Suggestion Man"

Last edited by ObsiWan; 01-10-2008 at 12:08 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #26
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think theres enough talent difference between top of 1st and middle of 1st. At least, not enough to cover the enormous cost difference. At this point in time, I'd rather spend our money on more good players than 1 great player
Old 01-10-2008   #27
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lest ye forget, was it not just last year (or the year before) that A.J. restructured his contract to allow us to have more cap room and to insure he would remain a Texan. And this is how you repay his loyalty by shipping him away for draft picks, in what I believe is the weakest draft class in the past 3-4 years.

Shame on you
Old 01-10-2008   #28
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
So tell me, who do you draft with those picks to replace him? There is minimal improvement considering you lose one of the best in football, for 2 picks that COULD be good. They could also stink. Yeah, pull the trigger on the gun you point at Parcells for even suggesting anything so rediculous. If we got their 1st,2nd, and 3rd for the next 2 years, maybe.

I dont lknow how any body can see a way to improve by losing the BEST PLAYER ON YOUR TEAM! And one of a few guys on our team that could start for anybody in the NFL. Who do we draft to replace him? Dre Davis and Walter are ok, but come on.
Though AJ is still relatively young, he will be 27 to start next years season,
his 6th, and is now into atleast the middle years of his career for most NFL WRs, though some do seem to go on indefininitely like the 34 year old TO.
But the first overall & the 32nd overall is a tremendous combined value that
the astute Rick Smith could parlay into even more high picks.
Of course this is all idle BS as we begin to try to get thru the long offseason, but what the heck anyway I'll play along. And like I said, I'm an AJ fan but we are just talking business here, sorta.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #29
ObsiWan
Contributor

So you guys are seriously considering giving up a "bird in the hand" for "two maybes in the bush"...?
Old 01-10-2008   #30
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't give up a known(AJ) for the unknown(draft picks). Let's just say we got a couple first rounders for him........maybe we hit on one of them and pick up a player of Andre's importance and skill, but its' all a maybe. Andre is in his prime and the most important player on this team.....would we really want a couple new rookies to come in and replace him? Teams don't win Super Bowsl by trading away their best player.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #31
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This could be tempting but Andre Johnson is here to stay on the Texans:

Andre Johnson for Miami's 2008 1st and 2nd rd picks, and 2009 1st rd pick

Trade Miami's #1 overall to Oakland for their 3rd/4th overall + 2nd rd pick so they can draft Chris Long/Glenn Dorsey?

Trade Oaklands 3rd overall to Balimore for their 8th overall and 2nd rd pick so they can draft Matt Ryan ahead of ATL.

So the Texans are left with 2008 first rounders of #8 and #18, 2008 2nd rounders of #1, 3, 8, and 2009 first rd picks of Miami and Houstons

If we stay put there it could look like this:
#8 ) Kenny Phillips FS Miami
#18) Dan Connor OLB Penn St
#33) Antoine Cason CB Arizona
#35) Jeff Otah LT Pitt
#40) Adarius Bowman WR Ok St.
3rd Rd) Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech

1st rd pick Miami
1st rd pick Houston

In review: Andre Johnson traded for Kenny Phillips, Dan Connor, Antoine Cason, Jeff Otah, Adarius Bowman and a 1st round pick in 2009.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 01-10-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
If they threw in in their 2009 1st rounder, Jason Allen, Matt Roth, and Ronnie Brown... id consider it... but id probably still have alot of reservations about it.
Agreed. He is our rain maker. The only way you pull the trigger involving A.J. is if you get a Hershal Walker type offer. I.E. They give up the farm and a couple of thier vestal Virgins on top.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/vestal-virgin
Old 01-10-2008   #33
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I plead to the football gods - please let this thread die.
Old 01-10-2008   #34
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I plead to the football gods - please let this thread die.

can't...
look...

a - way...

Old 01-10-2008   #35
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Though AJ is still relatively young, he will be 27 to start next years season,
his 6th, and is now into atleast the middle years of his career for most NFL WRs, though some do seem to go on indefininitely like the 34 year old TO.
But the first overall & the 32nd overall is a tremendous combined value that
the astute Rick Smith could parlay into even more high picks.
Of course this is all idle BS as we begin to try to get thru the long offseason, but what the heck anyway I'll play along. And like I said, I'm an AJ fan but we are just talking business here, sorta.
Yeah, bad business. AJ is one of the few on our roster that make us relevent. With out him, we are picking slightly earlier than 18. If you thought the **** stomr was bad for passing Reggie, can you imaagine the flak for trading one of the best PLAYERS in the game. Not one of the best recievers, but best players. Hands down thw best on our team by far. No amount of picks you could reasonably get could equal his contribution.
Old 01-10-2008   #36
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
I just had a crazy dream that Miami offered us their 2008 1st and 2nd round draft picks (#1 & #33 overall) for Andre - would you do it? What is the minimum it would take for you to trade Andre, and what would be a realistic trade value be for Andre?
NO ! :elle:

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #37
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell no I wouldn't trade him. He signed a multi-year extension so that he can basically retire (or at least give us his best years) as a Texan. He even took a pay cut per year for job security with this franchise. I wouldn't consider trading a high character, high talent, high production player.
Old 01-11-2008   #38
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

trade aj? more like nightmare.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read