Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2008   #61
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 free agency - your picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Typically, even on big deals, the cap hit isn't too bad in the 1st couple years. For example Clements' huge contract only had a base salary of $1.1 mil in 2007. The first two years of Dwight Freeney's contract, the base salaries are $750k. Players don't mind the low initial salaries because they just got handed a truckload of cash as signing or roster bonuses.
I agree and that is why I was a proponent of going after Clements and now Samuel. Sometimes, we just have to bite a bullet and go for the rib eye rather than the chuck. I think Smith and our new salary cap guru will get us as much bang for the buck as they can. I focus on what the players bring now and they also look at the hit in the future years.
Old 01-07-2008   #62
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree and that is why I was a proponent of going after Clements and now Samuel. Sometimes, we just have to bite a bullet and go for the rib eye rather than the chuck. I think Smith and our new salary cap guru will get us as much bang for the buck as they can. I focus on what the players bring now and they also look at the hit in the future years.
I like the approach of going to the 2nd or 3rd rated player where there is some depth in the market. Better to sign Asomogha (sp?) to a 6 year $40 mil deal than Samuels to an 8 year $80 mil deal.
Old 01-07-2008   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I like the approach of going to the 2nd or 3rd rated player where there is some depth in the market. Better to sign Asomogha (sp?) to a 6 year $40 mil deal than Samuels to an 8 year $80 mil deal.
I guess I could go either way with these two and sincerely hope one is on our team.

Asomugha 26 yoa 5 years NFL 9 INTs last 2 years 0 2007.
Samuel 26 yoa 3 16 6 for 89 yds returned

I imagine both would be good for 4-6 years and $ amounts yearly fairly close during that time. Samuel has two years less on his body in NFL. Samuel come from the Patriots and the other from Oakland and that should be a plus.
Old 01-08-2008   #64
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
I guess I could go either way with these two and sincerely hope one is on our team.

Asomugha 26 yoa 5 years NFL 9 INTs last 2 years 0 2007.
Samuel 26 yoa 3 16 6 for 89 yds returned

I imagine both would be good for 4-6 years and $ amounts yearly fairly close during that time. Samuel has two years less on his body in NFL. Samuel come from the Patriots and the other from Oakland and that should be a plus.
I think if u have a dc that like bump and run press man to man, nmandi is the guy.If the dc likes more zone eyes on the qb, samuels is the guy. No matter whoo u choose, u don't want a guy that can't do what u want to do. If u do, u wind up with a situation like the saints with jason david. I really like nmandi because of playing the colts, u need to be able to lock up. Peyton picks through any zone u run. They need guys that can cover and pressure. The safety and the 3rd corner need to be top flight. That's why I like nmandi 1st and foremost , suggs,tuck, or spicer 2nd then draft a guy like phillips at safety. If u want to be the king, u have to beat the king. Right now and for the next 5 yrs, the colts are the king. Bottomline.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think if u have a dc that like bump and run press man to man, nmandi is the guy.If the dc likes more zone eyes on the qb, samuels is the guy. No matter whoo u choose, u don't want a guy that can't do what u want to do. If u do, u wind up with a situation like the saints with jason david. I really like nmandi because of playing the colts, u need to be able to lock up. Peyton picks through any zone u run. They need guys that can cover and pressure. The safety and the 3rd corner need to be top flight. That's why I like nmandi 1st and foremost , suggs,tuck, or spicer 2nd then draft a guy like phillips at safety. If u want to be the king, u have to beat the king. Right now and for the next 5 yrs, the colts are the king. Bottomline.
I think any good coach or coordinator will adapt to the talent he has. Personally, I like the man on man CB but the most important player is the one that gets the job done.
Old 01-09-2008   #66
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

My Free Agent wish list.

1.Drayton Florence - CB
2. Eugene Wilson - S
3. Boss Bailey - LB
4. Justin Smith - DE
Old 01-11-2008   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
My Free Agent wish list.

1.Drayton Florence - CB
2. Eugene Wilson - S
3. Boss Bailey - LB
4. Justin Smith - DE
FYI, Mark Vander Meer & Andre Ware discussed Boss Bailey on 610 radio this morning. Andre said he liked him but both guys leaned more towards Suggs if price was right.
Old 01-11-2008   #68
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FYI, Mark Vander Meer & Andre Ware discussed Boss Bailey on 610 radio this morning. Andre said he liked him but both guys leaned more towards Suggs if price was right.
Suggs is an excellent pass rusher, but at Baltimore he has been an OLB in their 3-4. How does he fit in our D ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Suggs is an excellent pass rusher, but at Baltimore he has been an OLB in their 3-4. How does he fit in our D ?
I have no opinion on Suggs as I was never a fan. I think it was Ware that said Suggs would be great at OLB or could gain some lbs and be an awesome DE across from Mario. Both guys mentioned not happy with production of QB sacks by Anthony Weaver. Stated he may be better next season if healthy and mentioned his salary being high.
Old 01-11-2008   #70
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to sign a CB either Asomugha or Trufant in FA.

Grab Kenny Phillips if he's there in the draft- hope teams like the saints/cardinals/etc go the CB route in the draft.

With Gibbs now Asst HC let him grab us a LT in the 3rd round who will end up being a pro bowler ; )

4th round we grab ourselves a Runningback because like Mike Hart, Matt Forte, or BenJarvus Green-Ellis

That'd give us Asomugha and Bennett as our CB's. Phillips and Demps as our Safeties (CC/Earl backups). Resign Hutchins for back up. Then Dunta comes back and plays CB#2 for us in 2009 after full recovery- that would be a killer secondary.

I'm ok with going into next season with Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker, Chris Taylor + added rookie udfa or from the draft. We're not going to carry more than 4 RB's on our team so someones gonna get cut and I highly doubt its Green or Dayne (fa?). I'm fine with this so long as our offensive line improves. I have hopes b/c of Kubiak/Gibbs but a 3rd rd LT like I suggest isn't going to have immediate impact.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #71
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

My 2008 free agency picks = whoever is an upgrade to the player presently in that position.
Old 01-11-2008   #72
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the price will be high, thats for sure he has Freeney type skills.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read