Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Good and bad, Texans had plenty of '07 memories

if this was posted, my apologies

Quote:
When Texans coach Gary Kubiak looks back on the 2007 season, he's going to see some things that make him smile, but he's also going to see some things that make him cringe.
Among the things that will make him recoil in horror: 38 turnovers, an average of 9.8 points a game allowed after turnovers, and a minus-13 turnover ratio.
Quote:
The Texans averaged 99.1 yards rushing, down from 105.3 in 2006. They finished 14th in offense, including 22nd rushing and 11th in passing.

Rosenfels threw 12 interceptions and lost three fumbles. Schaub threw nine interceptions and lost three fumbles.
Quote:
Because of injuries, primarily in the secondary, the Texans weren't as good on defense. They finished 24th overall, including 19th against the run and 25th against the pass.

The Texans allowed 344.2 yards, up from 337.5 in 2006. They were better against the run (114.1 yards allowed compared to 122.3) and worse against the pass (230.1 to 215.3).
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5418061.html

Last edited by Wolf; 01-07-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #2
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 375 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good and bad, Texans had plenty of '07 memories

If you can look back on a year and laugh and cry its a good year.
Old 01-07-2008   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh...after all this time, we are no longer losers. Good enough for me, at least for the time being. I expect to graduate from non-losers to winners next year though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #4
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Eh...after all this time, we are no longer losers. Good enough for me, at least for the time being. I expect to graduate from non-losers to winners next year though.
Well said. Considering everything that took place this season, 8-8 is more than satisfying at the end of it all. Going into next season, with some much needed upgrades and a healthy squad, anything short of the playoffs will be a bust for me.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

funny mcclain had no mention of a certain someone on defense (or two for that matter that were bright spots)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

This sounds like the title of an NFL Films...film.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

only have a few minutes... but one real quick thing... The injuries to the secondary improved us... Kill me if you like.. but it got faggins out... and forced us to sign demps. Losing dante hurt... but Faggins is worse than dante is good if that makes any sense....

Its late and I don't get to get on much so if it doesn't don't hold it against me.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

After all these years we're still not winners. I will not settle for mediocrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
After all these years we're still not winners. I will not settle for mediocrity.
OK. So what are you going to do? If you get mediocrity, what are you going to do?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
OK. So what are you going to do? If you get mediocrity, what are you going to do?
Well, for myself, I'll always be watching the Texans on football days. However, if they continue to suck, my only recourse is come in here and ***** about it. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Well, for myself, I'll always be watching the Texans on football days. However, if they continue to suck, my only recourse is come in here and ***** about it. LOL
Exactly.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

QBs need to learn to avoid those turnovers. Two players are responsible for 27 of the 38, and those are numbers that must improve if we want a shot at a winning record (much less playoffs).

8-8 is a testament to making strides in the face of adversity, though.
Old 01-08-2008   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
QBs need to learn to avoid those turnovers. Two players are responsible for 27 of the 38, and those are numbers that must improve if we want a shot at a winning record (much less playoffs).

8-8 is a testament to making strides in the face of adversity, though.
I think the turnovers are a part of two things:

1. Depending too much on the pass. This led to some forced balls, putting them in spots where the receivers would get hammered, and allowing the defenses to key on the pass.

2. Young and inexperienced players at key positions. Last year, the Texans got in trouble relying on young players at the running back position early in the season. Then they made do with Dayne. They got Green to help with some stability at that position, but it didn't help.

If you look at the turnovers, pretty much all of them came from players without much gameday experience. You can intellectually know that you should take care of the ball and not try to do too much, but until you experience the pain of having that bite you, often you don't learn that lesson.

Ultimately, I am optimistic for the future. It's clear that Kubiak can work wonders on a passing game. I think with the way that the pass interference rulse are enforced these days, having the ability to pass the ball is one of the keys of having a successful team in the league. (look at the top of the passing charts). 8-8? While leading the league in the number of games missed by starters? A few less turnovers and a defense that didn't look ridiculous could do wonders.

Oh, and for a more national audience that doesn't know better, I wrote about the improvement in the sack allowed by the Texans. Sort of as a case study: if your offensive line is looking questionable, look at the entire offense's performance and not just the line:

Houston Texans Prove Sensible Quarterback Play Helps Reduce Sacks. Who Knew?
Old 01-08-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think the turnovers are a part of two things:

1. Depending too much on the pass. This led to some forced balls, putting them in spots where the receivers would get hammered, and allowing the defenses to key on the pass.
While certainly true, our QBs still made the decisions to throw the ball. It goes back to my original point that our QBs need to learn to avoid those turnovers.

Obviously experience will help, but some of those picks were just dumb decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
2. Young and inexperienced players at key positions. Last year, the Texans got in trouble relying on young players at the running back position early in the season. Then they made do with Dayne. They got Green to help with some stability at that position, but it didn't help.
No doubt about it. We can only hope that the FO puts our o-line as the top priority (protection and running game), and a better-than-average YOUNG RB that can one cut and hit the holes, as well as pick up the blitz.
Old 01-08-2008   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Keep taking heat for loyally following a crappy team and yelling at the tv every Sunday at 1pm EST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read