Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2008   #21
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you select top 3 needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Time the Texans are on the clock (#18) their draft board could look something like this-

1. Kenny Phillips, FS 6-1 205 Miami

Can't pass on a playemaker like this if he's there. Don't beleive any of the top 10 teams take a FS. he would have to get past Arizona & Minnesota.

2. Sam Baker, OT 6-5 315

I know not everyone is crazy about Sam, but he has experience & technique to start not to mention seems like he would fit the offense being more athletic than the others.

3. Aqib Talib, CB 6-1 205

If he comes out he would be a cornerstone cb for years to come (barring injury). Dunta will return but nobody knows when, Aqib has excellent size & would compliment his game when he does return.

4. Rashard Mendenhall, RB 5-11 210 Illinois

Another underclassman with a decision to make. reminds me of Willis McGahee before his torn acl in Miami. the Texans might have selected him over his teammate Andre Johnson.

5. Calais Campbell, DE 6-7 280 Miami

Talk about the Texans having a pair of bookends. Calais has declared so he will be draft eligible, should be a top 15 pick but if he is the bpa & Rick Smith has taken care of buisness in free agency this would be another smart long term pick.

Wow, I don't know much about college ball, but I'd have to say all of these options make good sense. Honestly, I'd love to get either Phillips or Campbell because I'm a defensive guy, but I wouldn't be upset with any of these picks. I'd really like to see us spend some money on OL, CB or LB in FA and focus the rest to the draft. I don't want to spend a ton of money right now on a RB, so my philosophy would be to spend a lot of money on OL in FA (if there are people that fit our system at least).

The one thing I'm excited about is that we are in a position to get an impact player in a good spot. This is the perfect position to get a great Safety.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #22
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

RB has to be our number one priority in the draft we need a Veteran LT in Free Agency we have wasted to many draft picks on Tackles. Watching Fat Ron Dayne & injury prone Ahman Green kill us this year we have to draft a running back in round one so that we can sustain drives.

1. Rashard Mendenhall
2. Jonathan Stewart
3. Felix Jones
Old 01-05-2008   #23
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

did anybody watch kubiak's FSN interview on the main site? it was pretty interesting and more revealing than the pressers.. i might be paraphrasing but this is what i remember:

-secondary and especially cb's seemed to be top of his list of priorities
- next he said about how they're going to try and find an answer at LT (to me it seems definite that spencer is going to become a G (our new rg if we dont resign fred?) from what he's said)
- he also mentioned they were going to try and find somebody to 'complement' mario so that has to be a DE
- he said they're on the lookout for a young C also
- sounded to me like they wouldn't be making a big move at rb.. he still (seems) set with ahman

didnt mention anything about safety, olb or DT
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #24
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
RB has to be our number one priority in the draft we need a Veteran LT in Free Agency we have wasted to many draft picks on Tackles.
Really, how so? The way I see it we spent two 3rd round picks on Eric Winston (starting RT) and Charles Spencer (probably starting RG), then we spent a 5th rounder on Brandon Frye who is more of a project and should be a good back up. I don't see how this regime wasted any picks on tackles.

I'd also like to know if you were GM, which Veteran LT would you be targeting in FA? How much $$ do you throw at him and how many years will he be here?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #25
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I try to estimate total impact.

A left tackle would bolster this offensive line, thus helping the running game and time of possession, the passing game through playaction, and the defense by putting up points and giving the defense some room to gamble (T.O.P. already mentioned as well).

A CB or safety is a big need as well, which would help the front seven take more risks, give the front seven more time to pressure the QB, and provide a disincentive to the opponent in the passing game. This, in turn, puts the ball back in the offense's hands, but then they have to do something with it, or the defense will be worn out later anyway.

A RB would help the running game, but only if he can overcome the lack of talent on the line. The running game is an integral part of successful offense, but IMO, it comes more from the offensive line than from the back, though it takes both. You put Adrian Peterson behind that Vikings offensive line, and you have something special. Otherwise, he's still good, but not the same. Similarly, Chester Taylor can do very well behind their offensive line. Olandis Gary behind Denver's offensive line was a good back. Clinton Portis was a phenomenal back. Portis is still a good back, but he's not putting up the numbers that he did in Denver, for instance. The examples can go on and on, but for me, it basically boils down to one thing - the offensive line is the foundation for offensive success upon which you build. Skill position players will function so much more efficiently behind a good offensive line.
You could add field position and turnovers to the CB or FS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #26
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
RB has to be our number one priority in the draft we need a Veteran LT in Free Agency we have wasted to many draft picks on Tackles. Watching Fat Ron Dayne & injury prone Ahman Green kill us this year we have to draft a running back in round one so that we can sustain drives.

1. Rashard Mendenhall
2. Jonathan Stewart
3. Felix Jones

no way is Rb our number one priority do the names chris taylor or darius walker ring a bell? with a solid O line these guys are pro bowlers(but with a good O line everyone is) c'mon now, pay attention

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #27
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
no way is Rb our number one priority do the names chris taylor or darius walker ring a bell? with a solid O line these guys are pro bowlers(but with a good O line everyone is) c'mon now, pay attention
Chris Taylor and Darius Walker aren't starters. We are either going to bring in a FA running back (i.e. Julius Jones, Justin Fargas, or Michael Turner) or we are going to spend a high draft pick on one. Walker is a solid 3rd down back and Taylor has all of 28 carries in his career, most of which were against one of the worst defenses in the league.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #28
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think most of us agree that left tackle, running back and corner are Texans biggest needs. Should team take best need player available each round of draft? Or should selection be made based on what is available in later rounds to plug hole? Lets go with the picks we have with no second just to make it more interesting. We are also guessing on which juniors will come out and Jamaal from U.T. surprised me by foregoing senior year.

To me, it looks as if RB and CB have more players of good or better quality than does LT. In free agency, only one name stands out that would probably keep team from drafting that position. That is Asante Samuel at corner. While I think it is possible Texans could sign, I'd say not probable. I see no RB (and I know some disagree) or LT that would plug a starter hole & eliminate need to draft.

Our needs at CB and RB could be addressed in 3rd and 4th rounds with LT focused on at #18 due to lack of player options. Having said that, does having a probable "excellent" pick such as Ryan Clady, Sam Baker at LT or J. Stewart at RB make one say go for that guy, we will plug in what we can get later?

Should the focus be on landing that one very good player to fill a need or should it be on getting best players to fill the three holes over all?
I just dont see that as a good move, not because of the talent but because samuel is going to get a brinks truck full of cash just like Clements did last year and it killed the 49's in the rest of FA. We need to resign A Davis, Demps and go after help at RB, DB, LT, C, LB, De opposite Mario. Some of that can be addressed in the draft but giving most of your FA dollars to one guy leaves you with sub par FA's at the other spots in need of depth.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
did anybody watch kubiak's FSN interview on the main site? it was pretty interesting and more revealing than the pressers.. i might be paraphrasing but this is what i remember:

-secondary and especially cb's seemed to be top of his list of priorities
- next he said about how they're going to try and find an answer at LT (to me it seems definite that spencer is going to become a G (our new rg if we dont resign fred?) from what he's said)
- he also mentioned they were going to try and find somebody to 'complement' mario so that has to be a DE
- he said they're on the lookout for a young C also
- sounded to me like they wouldn't be making a big move at rb.. he still (seems) set with ahman

didnt mention anything about safety, olb or DT

Seems strange that RG is what Kubes is leaning towards for Spencer. In college, he started out a DT, then transitioned to LG, and from there went on to doing a commendable job at LT when the starting LT was lost. Before going down this last season, he definitely showed some encouraging signs of being our LT of the future. He has never played RG. He would now be expected to transition from techniques mostly emphasizing pass protection to that of mostly emphasizing run blocking. If returning from his injury is in doubt, his performance will likely be significantly affected at either position. If his injury does not cripple his comeback, then shifting him to RG is still not making all that much sense to me.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #30
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
We have to go with defense, defense, and some more defense here.

Our offense ranked among the top ten in virtually many passing categories. I know we need a running back and some offensive line work but our defense is hurting here. Ranked 30th in the league. 30th!

DeMeco Ryans, Amobi Okoye, Fred Bennett and Mario Williams just do not scare opponents and I certainly don't blame them for not being scared. I'd hate to take them on individually. I'd be shaking but if I were an NFL caliber coach, I'd take on this defensive unit on anyday. Anyday.

There are holes to be exploited on every position in that unit. Bennett plays next to nobody (Dunta is out so let's keep that mentality). DeMeco Ryans plays in between two nobodies. I like Morlon and think compliments DeMeco but we've got to get the other side plugged up. Mario and Amobi can't lineup alongside eachother for everyplay nor can they both penetrate an offensive line of 5 players alone. They need more help. Don't even get me started on our laughable deep secondary. We have a FS? Really? I didn't know that. I'm aware that Earl will be returning but was he really the answer out there? Or is he just a good plug-in or stop-gap (however you guys call it) to have?

I really think that we have to go defense all the way. Signing a solid solid DT, DE, and second CB would be our only means of diverting to offensive picks via the draft. If Rashard Mendenhall is sitting there at #18 then you've got to take him as a BPA but we have got to go defense outside of a low risk 'stud' scenario that will allow us to divert outside of our defensive needs. FA is our best bet for filling our defensive needs this offseason but there's just no way we're going to land Haynesworth, Samuel (or the Raider CB), Briggs, and Allen. I'd be shocked if we even landed just one of them.

I'm glad I'm not a GM. He's got a real tough job doing this that just will probably backlash on him. I say defense is our problem not so much offense.
see I like that thinking. I think the offense will be fine if everyone stays healthy. The defense is still the problem.20mil in cap is a lot of money. the bonus is over the legnth of the contract minus the overall number didvided by years give u the actuall cap charge. So if the Texans signed nmandi for 6yrs 40mil with 20m bonus, that's 6m of your cap. that's why I like nmandi as corner, phillips from miami as a safety, and justin tuck or terrel suggs as end. I would like to see boulware move in as linebacker like he was in college. use the rest of the money for depth and always leave some because someome gets cut.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #31
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

if you read into the chron's interview of rick smith....he sounds like he will go with the best pick available either {LT, CB, OLB}. i just about promise RB will not be a 1st overall selection this yr....beside D. walker was looking good those last 3 games

I am personally tired of seeing M. Greenwood -eat dirt all day long covering D. Clark -- we have to get Speed @ that OLB - to compete with Indy/Jax
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read