Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2007   #41
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bye Bye Jerome Mathis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Shelling out bucks to bad players is more of a result, IMO, of a situation whereby coaches (Dom and Kubiak) have probably learned that they had spending limits. They had an "allowance," so to speak.
This isn't MLB and we're talking about McNair not McLane.

The Texans have been at or near the cap every year of their existence as they will be next year after they sign all their FA's and others. By rule, NFL teams were required to spend/cap account at least to 85% of the cap number in 2007.

Your 'allowance' and 'spending limit' argument is flawed in many ways with the most obvious example being the incredibly stupid signing bonuses/contracts given to Walker, Wade and Smith a few years ago - something that the Texans are just now crawling out from under. McNair has thrown around plenty of money, abeit in an ill-advised way, under the Casserly/Capers/Ferens regime - and again in the transition year to Kubiak with the Carr extension and the Weaver deal.

Last edited by aj.; 12-31-2007 at 06:32 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm telling you guys--We will be BLESSED by God Himself if we somehow get a playoff caliber team with the way McNair spends money.
I believe you're seriously mistaken. I mean, SERIOUSLY mistaken.

McNair has no problem spending the money he's having to spend and with the cap, there's no real Steinbrenner-esque ability to throw money at the big time players and get them to come to your team. You can't load up with personnel by overspending like that in the NFL.

However, you CAN pay too much for players and use up your cap on guys that don't contribute or don't contribute much. And that was our problem with Casserly. Our biggest cap hit right now is for Weaver. And he's nowhere near our best player.

The situation is getting better.

But, you're seriously mistaken if you think that McNair's desire to save money has anything to do with... well... anything regarding the players.

The one place where an owner CAN throw a lot of money around is in the hiring of coaches and managers. Do you want him to ditch Kubiak and possibly Rick Smith and bring in a new, higher profile staff?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #43
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Al Davis is a tycoon who spends a lot of money, and he IS a guy who directly picks his players. But McNair is a "No" guy, IMO, as it relates to his coaches and GMs coming to him for permission to spend some bucks.
So Davis outspends McNair? Any facts to back this up? Any at all?

If not, then "IMO" doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Last edited by Lucky; 12-31-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #44
TexSid
noob

I don't really know what you are talking about.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

At the start of 2007 we were 25th in salary cap space (because of all the dead money from previous years). In other words we spent our money....
TexSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shelling out bucks to bad players is more of a result, IMO, of a situation whereby coaches (Dom and Kubiak) have probably learned that they had spending limits. They had an "allowance," so to speak.

Why else are we getting such bums in here, cycling through so many tons of manure posing as what we've been told are "real gems" who just needed a place to play?

We get what we pay for. It's how it works when YOU spend YOUR money, and it's what we get when a Business Owner tries to make sure we stay at the top of the list in the NFL as "Most Profitable" NFL teams. We're up there, at around the 10th or 11th "Most Profitable" teams.

And that's of little comfort to a guy like me who wants to win or go broke trying. Al Davis is a tycoon who spends a lot of money, and he IS a guy who directly picks his players. But McNair is a "No" guy, IMO, as it relates to his coaches and GMs coming to him for permission to spend some bucks.

I'm telling you guys--We will be BLESSED by God Himself if we somehow get a playoff caliber team with the way McNair spends money. The guy is a nice man, he's a character guy, and I appreciate that aspect. But I do not see him having the same "drive" as other owners when it comes to winning or losing. He's focused primarily on the business aspect of running this team. And the ramifications trickle down to the field...in a very slow trickle.
To echo the posts of others please feel free to chose from one of the following replies:

a) Huh??????????????

b) Puff, puff, give.

c) I guess he has no clue that some of the most profitable teams are the winning teams?

d) Bud Selig is that you?

e) Huh??????????????

f) If you are confuzzled, I promise it's not your fault.

g) Tech is about to tie the game up at 28

h) Remember there is no luxuray tax in the NFL

i) It's a hard cap (does that sound a little dirty?)

j) It's a little chilly out today here in Dallas

k) Are you still drunk from last night...c'mon, tell the truth.

l) Huh??????????????

m)

n) Tech has offically tied the game at 28

o) Read aj's post

p) Read The Pencil Neck's post

q) Read Lucky's post

r) Read TexSid's post

s) Did I wake up and not notice that we had become the KC Royals

t) This is getting hard

u) We've got hot cheerleaders

v) Why am I still doing this

w) It's going to be a loooooooooong off season

x) Anybody know when the draft is?

y) Almost there..........

z) WTF?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read