Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario finishes season as Division Sack leader, runnerup in Conference, & 3rd in NFL

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2007
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG
Quite a jump from last years basically disappointing rookie season and something to keep in mind about how much of a difference one year can make
for an individual player.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #2
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario finishes season as Division Sack leader, runnerup in Conference, & 3rd in N

I think Mario took a step in the right direction this year. I also think there is some untapped potential still there. Good job Mario!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario finishes season as Division Sack leader, runnerup in Conference, & 3rd in N

Naaa . . I think he's a bust. Cut him loose.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is really doing a good job of getting pressure to the QB as well as following the play making tackles downfield. The thing I expect Mario to get better in (and he really needs to) is recognition of when the QB is going to throw the ball and get his hands up to deflect passes. This is something our whole DL needs to get better at. They're all still real young so I think as they get used to the game they will starting playing more 'naturally'.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure how football coaches work officials after the season, but Kubiak should put together a "highligt" reel of Mario being held and sent to the officials for clarification on what constitutes a hold. Hopefully year three we start seeing Mario "getting" some calls to accompany his incremental growth in technique and skill.
Old 12-31-2007   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I know d-linemen get held all the time without getting a call, but I really started to notice it yesterday. There were a couple of plays where Mario was locked up by one guy throughout the entire play.

Because we don't have another threat, teams are just focusing on taking out Mario. I saw one play yesterday, where the o-line created a sideways three-man wall when faced with just Mario. He's scaring some people - I like it.
Old 12-31-2007   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am not sure how football coaches work officials after the season, but Kubiak should put together a "highligt" reel of Mario being held and sent to the officials for clarification on what constitutes a hold. Hopefully year three we start seeing Mario "getting" some calls to accompany his incremental growth in technique and skill.
I saw Mario pleading his case several times yesterday about being held .

I thought I saw the LG jump the snap and take two steps back to cut Mario off .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post

Because we don't have another threat, teams are just focusing on taking out Mario. I saw one play yesterday, where the o-line created a sideways three-man wall when faced with just Mario. He's scaring some people - I like it.
I like that too, yet when that happens I am wondering were the other DL are or is that when Cochran got the sack?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I saw Mario pleading his case several times yesterday about being held .

I thought I saw the LG jump the snap and take two steps back to cut Mario off .
Mario was either pumped up or someone stole his favorite pair of rollerskates, because his body language was demonstrative towards his fellow defensive lineman and the officials during the game.
Old 12-31-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Mario was either pumped up or someone stole his favorite pair of rollerskates, because his body language was demonstrative towards his fellow defensive lineman and the officials during the game.
We did'nt get any push up the middle . Gray had some nice lanes to throw through .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

he had a good year but year 3 is gonna be pretty tough... he'll be a constant target now
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
he had a good year but year 3 is gonna be pretty tough... he'll be a constant target now
This is when Okoye and Maddox will have to step up. I think if you give Okoye a pass because he was a rookie, he will improve his play a bit in year 2.

Last edited by b0ng; 12-31-2007 at 02:14 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #13
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye finished 2nd among rookies with 5.5 sacks (Gaines Adams had 6 and is a DE) and 9th among all NFL DT/NT's. He had one half less than Fat Albert Haynesworhthless. I think he is going to be one of the premier DT's in the NFL in a few years if he can get better on the run and continue to progress as a pass rusher.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #14
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Props to Mario. I supported his draft and am glad to see that he is showing the world that we made the right choice. He is definately a keeper in my books.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read