Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2007   #1
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ex-UCLA coach Karl Dorrell could replace Mike Sherman

Quote:
Former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell will be one of the candidates to replace Mike Sherman as the Texans' offensive coordinator next season.

When coach Gary Kubiak was offensive coordinator at Denver, Dorrell was the Broncos' receivers coach for three seasons (2000-02) before he left to become UCLA's head coach. Dorrell was fired by the Bruins earlier this month.

Kyle Shanahan, who has coached receivers and quarterbacks in his two seasons with the Texans, also is a candidate to replace Sherman, who was hired earlier this month as the new coach at Texas A&M.

Shanahan and Dorrell could be two of many coaches Kubiak considers as Sherman's replacement.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5407371.html
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #2
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ex-UCLA coach Karl Dorrell could replace Mike Sherman

That's all well and good, but what the hell are we doing about this underperforming defense?
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #3
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Yawn. I would actually rather have Shanahan.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
That's all well and good, but what the hell are we doing about this underperforming defense?
Since we've signed him, I've believed that Frank Bush will eventually take Richard Smith's job or at least take over certain responsibilities.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #5
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Since we've signed him, I've believed that Frank Bush will eventually take Richard Smith's job or at least take over certain responsibilities.
I could live with that.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Karl Dorrell get fired from UCLA midseason this year because he was not all that great?

He's worked with Kubiak before, but I would rather just go with min-Shanny than this dude. UCLA looked awful this year.
Old 12-28-2007   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I want an offensive coordinator who's not learning on the fly. Please? Shanahan would be learning on the fly as well as Dorrell. Dorrell has never been an offensive coordinator.
Old 12-28-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I want an offensive coordinator who's not learning on the fly. Please? Shanahan would be learning on the fly as well as Dorrell. Dorrell has never been an offensive coordinator.
I don't know if Steve Mariucci will even be a candidate as our new OC, but I'd like him to replace Sherman.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Didn't Karl Dorrell get fired from UCLA midseason this year because he was not all that great?

He's worked with Kubiak before, but I would rather just go with min-Shanny than this dude. UCLA looked awful this year.
I would like to hire him in whatever capacity the Texans choose.

The best parts of the Texans are coached by people who have a connection to the Bronco team and know what Kubiak wants to have done. Whoever is going to be a coordinator is likely going to not be a strong coordinator anyways because its Kubiak's offense.

I am more concerned about the defensive side of the ball.
Old 12-28-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

The best parts of the Texans are coached by people who have a connection to the Bronco team and know what Kubiak wants to have done. Whoever is going to be a coordinator is likely going to not be a strong coordinator anyways because its Kubiak's offense.

I would like one of the Ryan brothers for DC .
Old 12-28-2007   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hiring in a capacity is one thing, but being named the OC just right off the bat seems a little bit of a jump for this guy and his credentials.

I'd rather go with mini-shanahan at this stage, and that is also something Kubiak stated earlier when it was first learned that Sherman was going to TAMU. But as far as what this man has accomplished and what position people are talking about him moving to, I am not very warm on this, not at all.

Now, if they said Mike Leach was looking to become an OC for the Texans, I would be more intrigued and optimistic than I am right now with all this talk of Karl Dorrell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I would like one of the Ryan brothers for DC .
I don't see either of them leaving their respective teams (Raiders, Ravens) to come do the DC thing here realistically. Either of them now days would probably be looking for a head coaching gig.

Last edited by b0ng; 12-28-2007 at 10:23 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Hiring in a capacity is one thing, but being named the OC just right off the bat seems a little bit of a jump for this guy and his credentials.

I'd rather go with mini-shanahan at this stage, and that is also something Kubiak stated earlier when it was first learned that Sherman was going to TAMU. But as far as what this man has accomplished and what position people are talking about him moving to, I am not very warm on this, not at all.

Now, if they said Mike Leach was looking to become an OC for the Texans, I would be more intrigued and optimistic than I am right now with all this talk of Karl Dorrell.
Leach? He does a different thing. I love Leach, but I don't see that at all.

Darnell actually has more experience than Mini.

One of the best assistants for the Texans is a failed college head coach who is very familiar with the Bronco system and Kubiak. His part of the Texans looked the best from the start.

Wanna guess?
Old 12-28-2007   #13
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One of the best assistants for the Texans is a failed college head coach who is very familiar with the Bronco system and Kubiak. His part of the Texans looked the best from the start.

Wanna guess?
Kirksey has done a hell of a job with our wide outs this year, no doubt.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
MTSU credentials are not going to get anyone excited, but Kirksey may be a better choice if we're going to advance within our own ranks.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wanna guess?
I think people really fail to understand that head coaches fail more because of administrative and leadership issues than teaching and X/O issues. Plenty of guys who can teach and design schemes aren't very good leaders of men. Dorrell and his knowledge of the "Bronco" way means less contradictation in philosophy.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'd take Dorrell. He lost a lot of talent over the past two years, but had a great offense a few years ago. Just because he has struggled as a head coach does not mean he isn't a good coordinator. He may not have the recruiting abilities or the leadership required to lead an entire team, but if he knows the system and has shown to have success when having talent, I'd give him a shot.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
Actually, I was thinking of Brian Pariani. The tight end position has been a bright spot of the team from the moment he was hired.

If someone knows the system and knows Kubiak it's a lot easier than trying to educate someone else into what you are trying to do.

Who is the actual coordinator for Kubiak isn't that important to me because he is an offensive minded head coach--so it is likely going to be a bit of a week coordinator position.

I wish I had more comfort on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 12-31-2007   #18
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about elevating position coaches based on that positions performance. A lot of that is because of the players skill set. If you take a position coach from an area that did well, you have to bring in someone else to replace them and risk taking steps backwards. Some coaches are better postion coaches than coordinators. I don't think it would be horible to bring in someone else for the coordinator postion, but it will probably be Shanny Jr.
Old 12-31-2007   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wish I had more comfort on the defensive side of the ball.

What's not to like? They're "Aggressive" right?
Old 12-31-2007   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
What's not to like? They're "Aggressive" right?
All we need is the army helmet.

If McNair would pay the bucks and find us a good, vintage army helmet for Richard to wear while pumping up the defense, we'd be set.

But it ain't gonna happen. Have you seen what army helmets are going for on ebay? It's outrageous.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read