Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2007   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do we make up ground in the AFC South?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Put a contract out on Peyton Manning ?
LOL, the guy was money Sunday. Never know for a fact...but I believe the end around to Clark was picked off of film by Manning and inserted just for the Texan's game. Brady may have the most hardware but Manning is a stinking...what comes after genius ?
Old 12-26-2007   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of thought being put into the defense, and it makes sense.

BUT, I'd say establishing a solid, consistent running game is truly the way to beat our division opponents.

Think about our win over Indy last season. We ran the ball - Dayne with 152 yards - and kept Manning off the field. This philosophy should serve us to beat all of our opponents. Eat the clock, put points on the board with long 8-10 minute drives. Our defense stays rested while our offense chews up the clock.
Old 12-26-2007   #23
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We need another offensive lineman and another playmaker on defense.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #24
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
How do we gain ground in the AFC South? Win a game is a start.

Let me throw out a number, 7-27. That is our record in the AFC South.

1-11 -vs- Indy

2-10 -vs- Titans

6-6 -vs- Jags.

I already counted us losing this Sunday. I don't think we have a snowballs chance. All year the Texans have played flat and uninspired after having there ass handed to them.

We finish this season 7-9. So on that note, try not to throw beer on any of the Texan players relatives.
I would like to thank all who did not make fun of my mathmatic skills

9-27

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have allowed over 34 points per game in their 5 division losses. They allow only 18.5 ppg in non-division games. It seems to me that our division foes have our defensive schemes down cold.

I don't know if shoring up the secondary, finding help at OLB, and getting an edge rusher is the entire answer (it couldn't hurt). But, a re-evaluation of how the Texans are attacking Indy, Tennessee, and Jacksonville's offenses seems in order. Whatever they're doing now is not working.
Old 12-26-2007   #26
barberman
Rookie

Houston must be much more aggresive on defense, blitze and put pressure on the recievers instead of 5 to 10 yard cushions and soft coverage. It sure can`t get any worse than what we are currently doing. Also would be nice to have a Javorskie Lane type of bulldozing RB to keep Payton off the field. Dayne can`t stay healthy enough to be out there consistantly.
barberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #27
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Start with defense... you know its bad when we hang up 38 and 28 on you, even with the 8 field goals.

Defensive line will be great for years to come. Unless the talk of TJ leaving is legit, then depth will be an issue at tackle. Find an overachiever like Odom/LaBoy for us this year and it's tops in the league.

Secondary, I'd start with safety for help over the top on the opposite side of Robinson. Then go out and get a guy at corner and add depth. Just know that a good pass rush works wonders.

The linebacking core I think is pretty solid. Young but they could develope. Maybe spend a few mid-round picks, or maybe even a second round or trade for a guy who is good in coverage.

Offensively it's running back all the way. The line to me is much much better then years past. Once they're all healthy it will be a solid group. Maybe a bookend takcle to protect Schaub from KVB, McCray and Freeney.

Running back is so important in this division, though. If you can control the clock you can beat anyone in the South, and anyone in the league.

Andre Davis looks like a solid #2 opposite AJ and Walter has done nice with Rosenfels.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #28
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

We'd have better luck facing the Pats twice a year, and that's no disrespect to them at all.
HJam, if you look at how we've played the Pats the last couple of times versus the Colts, we've been much more competitive against the Colts ...... I believe.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #29
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I kind of hate to say this, but I think the only D that beats Peyton Manning is a 3-4 with a lot of hidden and unexpected blitzers. Generally, I prefer the 4-3, but getting to Peyton is a science all its own. Only way to get to him is for him not to ever see it coming. It would also have to be a very disciplined, well-coached 3-4 D with a lot of talent. I don't see how even the best 4-3s EVER could beat him in any way.
I think that you're onto something here. Seems like all the best D's are 3-4's. When Capers got fired, then it seemed like running a 3-4 wasn't even an option anymore. In hindsight, it might have been a better short-term solution to stay with it since we already had 3-4 personnel.

I think if Capers actually ran the defense when he was here (instead of meddling with the offense,) they might have been a decent unit.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #30
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I think that you're onto something here. Seems like all the best D's are 3-4's. When Capers got fired, then it seemed like running a 3-4 wasn't even an option anymore. In hindsight, it might have been a better short-term solution to stay with it since we already had 3-4 personnel.

I think if Capers actually ran the defense when he was here (instead of meddling with the offense,) they might have been a decent unit.
How do the 3-4s matchup vs power football teams like the Jags and Titans . That's the problem ... we have to worry about matchups against three really good but different teams .
Old 12-27-2007   #31
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do we make up ground in the AFC South?
WIN

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read