Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2007   #21
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith....A Good Defensive Coordinator?

I'm starting to believe that our Up and down performances is a result of coaching. Our team has some talent, especially on the defense. The offense isn't as talented, but we play a ball control offense that relies on not making mistakes. It seems we should be alot more steady. This loss was embarassing.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #22
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Does this mean Richard Smith is a good defensive coordinator?

No.

Does he deserve to keep his job?

No.

Can we expect the defense to make further improvements?

No.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #23
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there's some good answers here in the thread. It's no coincidence that when prompted both years to get more agressive in play calling our defense looks better. We have a lot of young emerging talent on this team and it's time we got a D coord. who will utilize the pieces that are being put together.

If we manage to win this weekend...it'll really give us a catapult going into the off-season. We have a chance to overhaul the staff withg Sherman to A&M and Kubiak needs to sit and think real hard about keeping Smith. I think it Kubiak wants to be here long term it really is in his best interest to take over the offense and mold it into what he wants. It slowly looks like he's bringing in the right guys on the OL to fit his ZB roots. No more too many cooks in the kitchen this is HIS offense now. Bring someone on board with what you want do Kubiak.

Defensively I'd love to see someone taken from the Philly staff from the Jim Johnson School. Hell.....pay the money to take Jim away.There might be a few names available and i'd love to wrap up Marvin Lewis if he gets fired. Might not have worked out in Cinci Defensively as a HC but even now we've got better all around talent on our D. This next game will be very telling IMO what direction we head going into the offseason.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #24
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way Jim Johnson leaves Philly for another DC position, but I love their defense. I would'n't mind their line backers coach, etc. I think we have the peices to put together a defense similar to theirs. We just need more speed in from the linebackers and the secondary.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #25
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

"For me to poop on" should be the next line in the topic title
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #26
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Smith isn't a flashy play caller. It’s basically, a bend but don't break defense without a lot of blitzing. If you have the manpower to pull this off, great, but if the front four can't put pressure on the QB, it can be a long afternoon.

Personally, I prefer more aggressive play calling. Particularly when you consider the strength of our defense, which is our front seven. The longer a pass play goes on, the more advantage swings to the offense. If you blitz more and don't give the QB time to read the defense and set up properly for a pass, you limit the exposure of the weakest part of the team, the defensive backs.

Agreed. I believe but do not know for fact that Richard Smith does exacatly what this head coach wants him to do. If I'm wrong, Kubes will toss him under the bus this off season. From My tree he doesn't have enough pieces to bring what most on this board would like to see him bring. Further, he cut his teeth under Glanville. Either he's prety dense or he knows how to bring it. I think dumping RS would only accomplish one thing. Trade one guy who can't bring pressure with mediocre tallent for another guy who can't bring pressure with medocre tallent. RS can't play for them. But what ever makes the board feel better .....fire the guy

Seems to be common theme here for sure. They match up healthy against a beat up team or simular tallent they have a most excellent chance to win. Up to you to figure out who is who and what is what. When they don't match up, they get stomped.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-26-2007 at 12:52 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read