Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2007   #21
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Re: People on record as wanting Mario over Reggie/VY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
It is my theory that no called because Uncle Bob wanted to sign someone before the pick was made.IMO the SOP for the NFL is to wait until you are on the clock before things become real.Uncle Bob is playing a different game than the rest of the league, I dunno if that is good or bad!
Calls for the #1 pick don't start when the draft clock starts. Teams had every indication that the Texans were drafting Reggie, and if they wanted him, they would have called beforehand. If anything else, the Texans' reputation for signing #1 picks early would have prompted teams to hit the panic button even earlier than Saturday morning. No one wanted Reggie Bush that bad, period.
Old 12-23-2007   #22
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
from the michael smith article:

Quote:
"I've seen solid players, impact players," Titans coach Jeff Fisher told The (Nashville) Tennessean, "but nobody that has a potential to impact a defense like [Williams]."
Fisher may have said this about Mario, but it's fairly well documented that Fisher and Chow wanted Matt Leinart but were overruled by Bud Adams. Adams figured---and rightly so---that a great way to annoy Houston would be to rub the hometown boy in their face twice a year.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #23
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Fisher may have said this about Mario, but it's fairly well documented that Fisher and Chow wanted Matt Leinart but were overruled by Bud Adams. Adams figured---and rightly so---that a great way to annoy Houston would be to rub the hometown boy in their face twice a year.
I dunno, but maybe you aren't giving Adams enough credit ? I'm sure he wanted to draft Houstons favorite son for sentimental reasons, but he
may instinctively have thought it was also a good football decision ?
Adams got another UT legend when he traded with TB to get the first
pick in the 1978 Draft, and that also turned out to be a shrewd move.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #24
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno, but maybe you aren't giving Adams enough credit ? I'm sure he wanted to draft Houstons favorite son for sentimental reasons, but he
may instinctively have thought it was also a good football decision ?
Adams got another UT legend when he traded with TB to get the first
pick in the 1978 Draft, and that also turned out to be a shrewd move.
I never said taking VY was a poor move. As for giving Adams credit--you're right, I don't give him much. And I sure as hell don't give him credit for taking Earl. That was Bum Phillips' move all they way.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read