Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2007   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Greg Eslinger signed to Practice Squad

Very little time to get him some action and see how he does. Draft is right on top of us. This is like depending on Spencer to make it back. Do you spend a draft pick on another center or hope what we have will solidify the position?
Old 12-21-2007   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Very little time to get him some action and see how he does. Draft is right on top of us. This is like depending on Spencer to make it back. Do you spend a draft pick on another center or hope what we have will solidify the position?
It takes some of the pressure off to draft a Center but will not discourage the Texans from drafting a Center should a good value/talent fall into their laps. remember we have a long laundry list of needs, IMO
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #43
DenverFan
Rookie

he was given a chance in Denver...

we would have signed him after Nalen's and Hamilton's injuries if we thought he was worth it

good luck though, seemed like a nice guy
DenverFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #44
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverFan View Post

we would have signed him after Nalen's and Hamilton's injuries if we thought he was worth it

What chance?? Just curious, because the sites I have looked at said he spent the whole time on IR (and as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread).
Old 12-21-2007   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He was signed--to Denver's practice squad. Cleveland signed him from there.
Old 12-21-2007   #46
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This may clarify why Eslinger was "cast aside".............These events could have very well ultimately given the Texans a jewel rather than a true cast off.
Quote:
Dec 13 2007 9:30PM
KXMBTV Bismarck
After realizing his lifelong dream of making an NFL roster last month, Greg Eslinger is now on the outside looking in.

That's because the Cleveland Browns have waived him.

Its the second time the Bismarck native's been cut this season, beginning when he just missed making the Denver Broncos roster before the season started.

The Broncos then added him to their practice squad, and on November 14th, the Browns signed him away as an unrestricted free agent.

During his time in Cleveland, Eslinger didn't see any action.

With the signing of former Pittsburgh Steeler's center Marvin Philip, the Browns felt Eslinger was expendable and made it official yesterday.

According to his father, George, Greg is heading back to Denver to live and hopes to catch on with another NFL team as soon as possible.
BTW, The Browns and Packers put in waiver claims on Steelers center Marvin Phillips, who was cut by the Steelers on Monday. The Browns were awarded him because the Packers had a better record, and the team with the lesser record gets the player. The Browns figure Phillips could add depth to the interior of their line as a backup.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Undrafted FAs have an uphill battle because the team has a minimal investment and the GM might have to cut someone he drafted instead .
Old 12-21-2007   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Undrafted FAs have an uphill battle because the team has a minimal investment and the GM might have to cut someone he drafted instead .
successful NFL teams build solid foundations with blue collar low-round & undrafted free agents. we have now witness'ed Rick Smith rebuilding this team, on the fly throughout this season addressing need/injurys. The Texans have improved, in part, because of these lunch pail, unsigned/released players who have to earn their keep, doesn't hurt the bottom line either
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #49
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
successful NFL teams build solid foundations with blue collar low-round & undrafted free agents. we have now witness'ed Rick Smith rebuilding this team, on the fly throughout this season addressing need/injurys. The Texans have improved, in part, because of these lunch pail, unsigned/released players who have to earn their keep, doesn't hurt the bottom line either
I agree with Smith . I'm not sure about the previous guy .

Who would you keep ? You have to consider salary and production but can only choose one .

A. Earl Cochran
B. Anthony Weaver
C. Jason Babin
Old 12-21-2007   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm not sure that is a good sign for Eslinger...the Browns had a chance to see Eslinger up close and chose to pick up another Center that they don't have an opportunity to watch as closely and release Eslinger.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with Smith . I'm not sure about the previous guy .

Who would you keep ? You have to consider salary and production but can only choose one .

A. Earl Cochran
B. Anthony Weaver
C. Jason Babin
I go with Cochran because I never ever hear Weaver's name. At least Cochran is voice occasionally and looks like he get past the LOS. He is cheap but probably why mos twill pick Weaver as to expensive to cut.
Old 12-21-2007   #52
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I go with Cochran because I never ever hear Weaver's name. At least Cochran is voice occasionally and looks like he get past the LOS. He is cheap but probably why mos twill pick Weaver as to expensive to cut.
I like Cochran also ... he plays hungry .

The only thing I have against Earl is ... he plowed Dunta ... I think .
Old 12-21-2007   #53
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm not sure that is a good sign for Eslinger...the Browns had a chance to see Eslinger up close and chose to pick up another Center that they don't have an opportunity to watch as closely and release Eslinger.
We'll send him to the Clemens sports medicine thing .... he'll be fine .
Old 12-21-2007   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I like Cochran also ... he plays hungry .

The only thing I have against Earl is ... he plowed Dunta ... I think .
I love to see a hard playing back up do well. Doesn't have the name or usually the skills as you primo player but just works hard. Salaam is this type of guy also.
Old 12-21-2007   #55
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

ANOTHER bronco!?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #56
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
ANOTHER bronco!?
For crying out loud, you just had to.

The only thinkg more lame the "ZOMG!!! Another Bronco/Packer...ONOES" is the "How come the Texans never pick the hometown guy" bit.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
For crying out loud, you just had to.

The only thinkg more lame the "ZOMG!!! Another Bronco/Packer...ONOES" is the "How come the Texans never pick the hometown guy" bit.
I like it best when the guy went to Texas but graduated from A&M and played for both Sherman and Kubes and went to school in Houston and has never been tased & his injury seems to be healing quite well per our medical staff.
Old 12-21-2007   #58
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree with you to some extint what does it say about Demps who is an alternate to the probowl? Also what about Maddox who has been a very nice addition?

Of course he is a practice squad player at this point and any enthusiasm should be held with just a hint of realism.
Old 12-21-2007   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Browns were probably looking for someone to come in with experience to make a run this year at the AFC North (Pittsburg 10-5 / Cleveland 9-5), rather than a player for "grooming with promise" in the future.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #60
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I pretty much agree here, love the pick-up. was real high on him too, seemed like a perfect fit back then & even more a need now with McKinney & White down. great, under the radar screen signing, Rick Smith is awesome
Mark me down for wanting Eslinger. No doubt I would have taken Mangold over him but Eslinger can develop into a really good center I think. And for free. I wouldn't pencil in Flannigan for next year just yet. I don't think he will be around.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read