Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2007   #21
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Len P says Mario is the biggest ProBowl Snub. And eats some crow to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Memo to axman40:

Dude was defensive player of the week in Week 1 of the season against KC.

Sacks come in bunches. Kubiak said throughout the season that Williams was pressuring the QB a lot but that the sacks weren't happening yet but that he was happy with what he was seeing and he thought it would happen. Many folks preferred to mock what Kubiak said.
I agree with you 1000% and I might have said as much in another thread.
Old 12-19-2007   #22
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Len P says Mario is the biggest ProBowl Snub. And eats some crow to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Booya! That's what I was going to say.

May this Pro Bowl snub continue to fuel the fire that burns in Mario's heart. I hope he plays like a man possessed these last two games and let's the entire nation know what a flawed system it is when we select Pro Bowlers with three weeks still left in the season.
Hopefully we see Mario go off on Peyton and Garrard like Dream did on the Mermaid in '95 after being snubbed for the MVP.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #23
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32854 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario has been on Fire the past 5 weeks!
http://www.nfl.com/players/mariowill...s?id=WIL431243
Old 12-19-2007   #24
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Memo to axman40:

Dude was defensive player of the week in Week 1 of the season against KC.

Sacks come in bunches. Kubiak said throughout the season that Williams was pressuring the QB a lot but that the sacks weren't happening yet but that he was happy with what he was seeing and he thought it would happen. Many folks preferred to mock what Kubiak said.
Memo to Texans_Chick:

Dude pulled a complete disappearing act in weeks 2-5.

Old 12-19-2007   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there was only one game (Chargers, I believe) in which Mario didn't perform as well as I would like. He registered a sack and just an assist in that game. Most of the times when Mario was lining up one on one agaisnt McNeil, he just couldn't do anything. (Well, the dude is big 6'7 336 and made the pro bowl last year.)

Kubiak, however, responded totally differently when asked by a reporter about Mario's performance:
“He is playing exceptionally well,” Kubiak said of Williams. “Yesterday was no exception to the rule. He’s been doing that and played really well yesterday.”

I said at the time that Kubiak was probably just fed up by the media questioning Mario's ability and heart day in day out.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #26
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry if this has been posted before (or 10 times before) but did anyone else see Mario's speech in the locker room after Kubiak tossed him the game ball?

He was very classy and thanked the offense for keeping him and the rest of the defense off the field, keeping him fresh.

But perhaps even more notable was the way he thanked his fellow defensive teammates and the defensive coaches and Kubiak for staying on his butt and urging him to make a play. He knows he needs a fire under him and he's happy to to deliver when urged to do so. That's awesome!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #27
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 31311 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams should have made it - I am upset that he didn't.

And I think Colston and Evans were HUGE snubs. Colston's numbers are very strong and I think he's one of the top 3 WRs in the NFC. Of course, maybe that's my Saints homerism talking. But his stats are pretty impressive and seeing him play - he's phenomenal.

Evans is arguably the best guard in the NFC.

I think an argument could be made for Brees, but in 4 or 5 games, he really didn't show up, looked terrible. So while I think he is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL, he didn't show it consistently enough I guess.

But I feel bad for Mario - with all the criticism he's had to face, he deserved to get his shot after how he has performed throughout adversity.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #28
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
Memo to Mario :
THe Season begins in Sept, if you wait for Nov to start playing , you WILL get Hosed in the Pro Bowl selection every year!
Actually Pro Bowls are decided on name recognition meaning Mario should be a shoe in next year - espically if Jason Taylor is no longer in the AFC.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #29
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
And I think Colston and Evans were HUGE snubs. Colston's numbers are very strong and I think he's one of the top 3 WRs in the NFC. Of course, maybe that's my Saints homerism talking. But his stats are pretty impressive and seeing him play - he's phenomenal.

There are a lot of good WRs in the league. Both Colston and Donald Driver are just as good as those guys who were selected.

That being said, I'm glad Torry Holt got in. I firmly believe he is the best WR in football but you just don't hear about it because he is a team player.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #30
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Actually Pro Bowls are decided on name recognition meaning Mario should be a shoe in next year - espically if Jason Taylor is no longer in the AFC.
Yea maybe but then we got the stubby, little speed-merchant from Indy coming back next year from IR and he's a perennial PBowler.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #31
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think there was only one game (Chargers, I believe) in which Mario didn't perform as well as I would like. He registered a sack and just an assist in that game. Most of the times when Mario was lining up one on one agaisnt McNeil, he just couldn't do anything. (Well, the dude is big 6'7 336 and made the pro bowl last year.)

Kubiak, however, responded totally differently when asked by a reporter about Mario's performance:
“He is playing exceptionally well,” Kubiak said of Williams. “Yesterday was no exception to the rule. He’s been doing that and played really well yesterday.”

I said at the time that Kubiak was probably just fed up by the media questioning Mario's ability and heart day in day out.

I think Rivers threw the ball like 10 times that game. I don't blame Mario for not sacking him.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007   #32
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
I think Rivers threw the ball like 10 times that game. I don't blame Mario for not sacking him.
Yeah, that game was a total confusion job by the secondary because who knew about that Antonio Gates fellow? Hard to sack the quarterback when you are playing from that far behind.
Old 12-20-2007   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that game was a total confusion job by the secondary because who knew about that Antonio Gates fellow? Hard to sack the quarterback when you are playing from that far behind.
So with those assessments. One sack out of 11 attempts wasn't bad at all.

What I was referring to is that it was the only game that I think Mario wasn't as solid as I'd like. And that only says a lot more about the guy.

I have submitted all year long that Mario is our best D-linemen, and perhaps our most consistent defensive player this year, even before Ryans slowed down a bit with his injury, and Mario's late burst.

As they run neck to neck, I would vote for Mario to be the Defensive Player of the Year this year, no matter how thin that margin might be.
Old 12-20-2007   #34
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So with those assessments. One sack out of 11 attempts wasn't bad at all.

What I was referring to is that it was the only game that I think Mario wasn't as solid as I'd like. And that only says a lot more about the guy.

I have submitted all year long that Mario is our best D-linemen, and perhaps our most consistent defensive player this year, even before Ryans slowed down a bit with his injury, and Mario's late burst.

As they run neck to neck, I would vote for Mario to be the Defensive Player of the Year this year, no matter how thin that margin might be.
What are you smoking man!?!? I want some. Anyway, if you look at (I think) weeks 2 through 4 or 5, Mario had a dissappearing act that would have made David Copperfield proud... DeMeco has been steady Freddy the entire season.
Old 12-20-2007   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What are you smoking man!?!? I want some. Anyway, if you look at (I think) weeks 2 through 4 or 5, Mario had a dissappearing act that would have made David Copperfield proud... DeMeco has been steady Freddy the entire season.
I'll go back and review those games!
Even though I did spend a lot of times on them already, but if it pleases you, I'll try again.
Old 12-20-2007   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I'll go back and review those games!
Even though I did spend a lot of times on them already, but if it pleases you, I'll try again.
Check this link: NFL.com Mario Williams
Old 12-20-2007   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've seen those, LOL!
Old 12-20-2007   #38
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So your saying that shows that Mario was never in the backfield? That Oakland ran the ball away from Mario or that against Tenn he had 4 solo tackles and with all the turnovers Houston had and giving tenn a short field and when they had a huge lead they ran the ball, yep he was non exsistant. He might as well have been on the sidelines.

Now with that said did he do things wrong, oh yeah. He ran past plays putting him out of position to make tackles and or sacks. He could be better at raising his arms as to blog throws when he is double teamed. I also think the coaching staf has to share part of the blame because of where they lined him up and the play calling.

I just completely disagree with saying he completely disappeared and show his stat page as to say look see no sacks and say he disappeared and did nothing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read