Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2007   #21
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what fans of other teams think of mario!!!!!

I was really fascinated by how many people are making excuses for VY and RB because of injuries, but not ONE mention of Mario's injury last year that he PLAYED through. On another note, the vast majority of Marios sacks have been the result of someone else on the D setting the QB up for him. That isn't a bad thing cuz Mario STILL had to be there to get the sack, he just hasn't developed enough moves to rush the passer like Bruce Smith or Reggie White. Reggie White at 20 couldn't rush like Reggie White.
Old 12-17-2007   #22
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny how Mario doesn't deserve a sack when Okoye collapses the pocket forcing the QB outside to Mario...

But Bush deserves a TD when Deuce takes the ball down the field and they put in bush when its 1st and goal!???
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Funny how Mario doesn't deserve a sack when Okoye collapses the pocket forcing the QB outside to Mario...

But Bush deserves a TD when Deuce takes the ball down the field and they put in bush when its 1st and goal!???
I never said Mario didn't deserve the sack. Good Dlines have more than one good defensive lineman on them.........even Sgt. Peppers benefited early on in his career from the personnel he had next to him. The fact that Amobi is helping Mario and vice versa is not a bad thing it's a good thing..........it's the whole reason we drafted the kid.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-18-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #24
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

started a thread on a Dolphins board about Williams vs. Bush/Young after Thursday night's game. this was in the "VIP" section, meaning you have to pay to join that part of the board, and generally the folks there are extremely intelligent and know what's going on around the league, and hugely in-depth with the Dolphins. the concensus is clear: Williams is great and looks to be one of the best DE's in the league in a short period.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

If that was aimed at my post, I wasn't trying to suggest that Mario didn't deserve the sacks, I was trying to point out that MW isn't as polished a rusher as he will be in the future(kind of obvious, I know). He isn't at the level yet where he consistently gets solid pressure and sacks on his own. I think his progress has been amazing and I'm positive we'll have a top 10 D with a good shot at top 5 next year. I keep wondering "what if's" with a healthy AJ, Schaub and DROB for the entire season. Sage, ALL the WR's and Bennet HAVE done great, though.
Old 12-19-2007   #26
spent
Buccaneer Freak

Send a message via AIM to spent Send a message via Yahoo to spent

we think he's awesome!~!!
spent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #27
El cabezon
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 El cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
A few thoughts (happy thoughts) on Mario:

I believe that being a rookie who was unable to practice during the last part of the year was a real obstacle to Mario - one that he has overcome.

A defense anchored by Mario and Ryans - combined with what Okoye could very well become, and what Dunta Robinson will hopefully become again will be tough for anyone to deal with. No matter

VY has to prove he can become an above average NFL QB, and then prove he can become a franchise NFL QB. Mario has to prove this year wasn't a fluke. I like Mario's chances better.

Unless Reggie eventually becomes Marshall Faulk - or at least Brian Westbrook, Mario's a better pick. Reggie doesn't look close to either of those two players in terms of game impact.
Even if Reggie eventually becomes Marshall Faulk I'd rather have a great defensive end than a great RB.
El cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #28
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't see any references to the Saints board - personally, I think he is playing well and more consistently (still room for improvement, though). And he has a surrounding cast and a scheme that uses him well.

Glad to see that he is playing better.

I just hope he stays consistent and doesn't start to disappoint. I remember seeing Renaldo Turnbull turn in a fabulous season and started to buy into his own hype and his performance spiraled downward quickly.

Sounds like he's got enough people riding his case, though, so that he won't become complacent. If he keeps improving, he could be a monster.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #29
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
Didn't see any references to the Saints board - personally, I think he is playing well and more consistently (still room for improvement, though). And he has a surrounding cast and a scheme that uses him well.

Glad to see that he is playing better.

I just hope he stays consistent and doesn't start to disappoint. I remember seeing Renaldo Turnbull turn in a fabulous season and started to buy into his own hype and his performance spiraled downward quickly.

Sounds like he's got enough people riding his case, though, so that he won't become complacent. If he keeps improving, he could be a monster.
I agree with your last point: I don't think Mario can afford to believe his own hype because of two players that the media loves. He was improved the more than Bush/Young, and the media is slowly starting to come around and eat crow.
Old 12-20-2007   #30
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I was really fascinated by how many people are making excuses for VY and RB because of injuries, but not ONE mention of Mario's injury last year that he PLAYED through. On another note, the vast majority of Marios sacks have been the result of someone else on the D setting the QB up for him. That isn't a bad thing cuz Mario STILL had to be there to get the sack, he just hasn't developed enough moves to rush the passer like Bruce Smith or Reggie White. Reggie White at 20 couldn't rush like Reggie White.
I seem to remember Reggie White had MAMMOTH-sized Gilbert Brown collapsing the pocket for him, as well, in Green Bay. Last year, the QB would simply step up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Amobi removes that option. Can't knock Mario's talent, because he has a great teammate lined up next to him.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read