Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2007   #381
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Really good read. I think this also dispels a lot of rumors about how the decision was made (i.e. Bush was being unreasonable and McNair was pissed about the scandal).
Quote:
But not everyone within the organization agrees on Williams. He didn't play hard at the beginning of last season, nor was he consistently productive. Casserly and Kubiak study all his games; they don't believe any of these negatives is persuasive enough. They also have questions about Bush. If he is this good, why did he play just part-time at USC? And why, near the end of the national championship game, did USC turn to LenDale White more than Bush? Do you pay No. 1 money to a guy who will not be a full-time back? They never answer these questions to their satisfaction.
May be not but I guessed this one correct. Still say leaving the owner of a NFL club dangling for two days wouldn't help any draft choice under any circumstances. Acroding to this, the desidsion was made way befor the scandals broke.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/12/w..._victor_1.html
McClain's Blog:
Quote:
But the closer the Texans got to the draft, the more reports they heard about Bush and the controversy he would be in the middle of involving NCAA violations. First, it was Casserly who fell in love with Williams and recommended not drafting Bush. Then McNair and Kubiak came on board.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-15-2007 at 12:01 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #382
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Last word from the horse's mouth:

Quote:
On April 18, McNair meets with Kubiak, Casserly and the two coordinators so he can hear how each player would influence his respective side of the ball. Two days later, at a gathering of his minority partners, McNair is asked, "Isn't this a marketing as well as a football decision?" He responds: "Nothing is more important than doing what it takes to win games." McNair wants a contract signed before the draft but agrees a stalemate with either player won't prevent his selection.
http://www.sportingnews.com/exclusiv.../734742-p.html

Word
Old 12-15-2007   #383
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72233 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El cabezon View Post
So what you're saying is that I'm supposed to believe you and some of the MB members instead of McClain who is a lot closer to the team?
Let me think about that one......the answer is no, I'll believe McClain.
Did you also believe him when he stated in no uncertain terms that Pitts would be the left tackle under Kubiak, or when in January of this year he said Spencer's recovery was coming along nicely? Those two examples jump to mind, and can be found in old threads here (for anyone who cares to compare different points of view rather than relying solely on a newspaper's version of the truth).

I think I saw statements like the one quoted above then too when "some message board members" differed with his opinion. A lot of people argued with me and the couple of others who were not riding the "Spencer will be back for 2007" spin cycle. It was still a surpise to many when Spencer never made an attempt to play.

Does McClain have a lot of inside knowledge? Yes.

Is he infallible? No.

Is it easier just to believe everything one reads in the paper? I guess so.

=====================

Just for the record, I think the Capers coaching staff did far more damage to the team than Casserly. The reason I pointed out that Kubiak gets credit for good picks and Casserly gets credit for bad picks during that draft was to point out the irony of the situation.
Old 12-15-2007   #384
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

That Sporting News article is right on, IMO. If you combine what it has with the press conference of Bob McNair, I think you get the full picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNw-tXyn6qM

In the press conference, McNair states that they had tendered both Reggie and Mario the same offer. (I think this was $26 million. But it sounds like both respective agents wanted $28 million (Sporting News). Sounds like Mario's agent was willing to relent the $2 million quicker than the Bush camp. Then again, McNair mentions they were "close enough" with Bush that it wasn't really an issue.)

As far as McClain goes, I'm really not quite sure why he keeps insisting that it was Casserley's pick. No doubt, he was still GM at the time and had input. Casserley liked Mario. But so did Kubes. Mr. McNair just wanted to win football games. In the youtube video, McNair explains that the coaches decided that they needed defense over offense with that pick. In the end, IMO, it was a consensus organizational pick. Not a one man decision. At least, that's the way I see it....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #385
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak the candidate wanted Bush and nodded to Carr. In my opinion he was not going to make two committments on two unknowns right out of the gate.

How it really went down is anyone's guess, but I would surmise that the current (pre-draft) and future spending had something to do with it.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...aft#post300318

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 12-15-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #386
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

I was mixed up in the days leading to the draft. Honestly, I didn't want Bush because of exactly what's going on with him now. I knew that we couldn't get Young because of the Carr situation. And I was a little skeptical about Mario. To me though (and I know this sounds opposite of sexy) I thought Mario was the sexy pick. I thought he had the possibility of becoming great. The tangibles were there, but he was going from North Carolina State to the NFL after all. How it all translates is a crap shoot for sure, and like every college athlete, there were questions concerning Mario and his translation to the next level. Almost two seasons into his career, it looks like it's translating pretty well. I'm proud for him, for the organization, for the team, the fans, and everyone involved. All the positive press concerning him and our team is music to my ears. And I think that we all agree as he goes our team goes. One thing is for sure. He has set the bar pretty high for himself....
Old 12-16-2007   #387
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

There are going to be a lot of endorsements, schills, and degenerates coming after Mario this offseason wanting a piece of him. I hope he’s ready for it, because Reggie and VY clearly weren’t. I think that’s part of the reason they’ve regressed this year. While they were out doing their commercials, Mario had his nose to the grindstone.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #388
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
There are going to be a lot of endorsements, schills, and degenerates coming after Mario this offseason wanting a piece of him. I hope he’s ready for it, because Reggie and VY clearly weren’t. I think that’s part of the reason they’ve regressed this year. While they were out doing their commercials, Mario had his nose to the grindstone.
Comments like this get you rep points. Well said.
Old 12-18-2007   #389
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry to bring this old topic back up Joker, but this is in reference to why Mario didn't get nominated for Defensive Player of the Week and you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Mario didn't get nominated because his team didn't win their football game.
NFL Defensive Player of the Week Nominee's

So, here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL
Brian Urlacher, LB, Chicago Bears
Urlacher was everywhere in the Bears' 20-13 loss to the Vikings on Monday night. He recorded six tackles, sacked Tarvaris Jackson two times, intercepted him once and recovered a fumble by the Vikings quarterback.
Impressive stats none the less.

Last edited by b0ng; 12-18-2007 at 01:34 AM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #390
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

1) Brian Urlacher is one of the most well known players in the league

2) The game was broadcast on MNF

3) That's one hell of a game.
Old 12-18-2007   #391
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1) Brian Urlacher is one of the most well known players in the league

3) That's one hell of a game.

true but i counter that with two words: tavaris jackson
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #392
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
true but i counter that with two words: tavaris jackson
You win.
Old 12-18-2007   #393
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
• Mario Williams' breakout season validates his selection as the No. 1 overall selection in 2006 NFL Draft. Often compared to Bruce Smith as a prospect, Williams is becoming a dominant pass rusher off the edge due to improved footwork and hand usage. No longer relying solely on his athleticism to defeat blockers, Williams has developed a series of counter moves to handle the various short sets opposing tackles have used against him.

But the real key to Williams' stellar season has been the Texans' decision to use him primarily at left end after using him at several spots last year. By lining Williams to the offensive right, the Texans are often able to get their top pass rusher matched up against tight ends and running backs in pass protection (most offenses are right handed, so teams typically line up their tight end to the right). And move is paying off, as Williams has tallied 10 sacks in the past seven games, including three and a half against the Broncos on Thursday night.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...otebook/1.html
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #394
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi121407.htm

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #395
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I still firmly believe that the Texans did right by lining up Mario all over the place in his first year.
A crash course, you may say. Throwing him into the fire. Throwing him into the pool. Whatever. That is how you fast track a good player, long as you trust that he can benefit from it. Let him match up with lotsa good-great players on the O-line.

I truly believe that it makes him a better player sooner for us. You can't be the best until you face all the best, IMHO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #396
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I heard rumblings that he wasn't having a great year. I wanted him as our pick last year.
Old 12-19-2007   #397
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Wow, I thought they were really set with those two guys (Ferguson and Mangold).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #398
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Wow, I thought they were really set with those two guys (Ferguson and Mangold).
I would trade the Jets our 1st & 3rd picks for them
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #399
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm starting to think Mario is being punished because the Thursday night game was on NFLN.

I'm 90 miles east of Houston(Port Arthur Texas). I was at the Buccaneer game, but I set my DVR to record the game. The channel guide said it was going to be the Texans & the Bucs, but when I watched it, it was freak'n Dallas & the Lions.

My point, Mario's two best games weren't on TV.
Old 12-21-2007   #400
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...per_Mario.html
Quote:
TWENTY MONTHS ago, it seemed like a no-brainer. Reggie Bush or Mario Williams? A once-in-a-decade running back or a defensive end with a questionable motor.

When the Houston Texans went with the big guy behind door No. 2, well, the club's general manager, Charley Casserly, got a lot more votes for Village ***** than he did for NFL Executive of the Year. Bypassing Bush for Williams was considered Ryan Leaf-like lunacy.

"At least people believed in Ryan Leaf,'' said Casserly, who resigned shortly after the 2006 draft and now works for CBS. "Half the league would have taken Leaf [over Peyton Manning]. But we believed in what we were doing at the time. Now, I think people see what we saw then.''

Fourteen games into his second season, Williams is a blossoming star. He is second in the league in sacks with 13 and leads all NFL defensive ends in tackles.

Bush, meanwhile, who was taken by the Saints with the second pick in that draft, is not playing at all like a once-in-a-decade running back. Forced to be a carry-the-load running back after Deuce McAllister went down in Week 3 with a season-ending injury, Bush is averaging just 3.7 yards per carry and 5.7 yards per reception. Mr. Big Play has become Mr. Small Play.

"We had some questions about whether you could line Reggie up and play him every snap as a runner,'' Casserly said. "We did think he had big-play ability and did think he could have a role on the team. But would you have to have another back with him? That became a question.''
Quote:
Bush is 6-foot and 200 pounds, which is 2 inches taller and about the same weight as the Eagles' Brian Westbrook, who also faced is-he-an-every-down-back questions when he came into the league. But Bush has a thinner lower body than Westbrook. His lower body resembles that of a wide receiver more than a running back. He also doesn't have near the leg strength that Westbrook does.

Casserly and the Texans felt they could get a running back later in the draft or even in free agency. They didn't think they could get a 6-7, 290-pound defensive end with 4.65 speed like Williams anywhere else.

"We were switching to a 4-3 from a 3-4 and needed a defensive end who could be a force,'' Casserly said. "When you're playing a four-man front, you've got to have a guy you can build that defense around. You saw the impact Reggie White had. I'm not trying to compare this kid to Reggie. But you've got to have that kind of guy in your defensive line. Somebody that people have to game plan against.''

Casserly scouted Williams several times in person and watched endless tape. He didn't see the inconsistent motor that many other scouts saw.

"I thought he played hard in every game I saw him play,'' he said. "What happens with a defensive lineman is, you can go stretches where you don't make any plays. You're playing hard, you're beating your man, but the ball might be going away from you or you just don't make the play."
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read