Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2007   #1
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Pie eats crow topic

Alright, I'll man up and say Mario has become a dominate player. I was wrong about him, and I admit it. Here is hoping he keeps doing damage (and I still hope my boy Reggie get's healthy).

Mario for Pro-Bowl
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pie eats crow topic

Problem is . . a whole ton of people were wrong about Mario and they won't admit it.

I want to see John McClain, Richard Justice, Rich Lord, ESPN, and the rest of the national news media crawl on their hands and knees up to Mario, and watch him give them all the back of his hand.

I'm so happy for Mario that he's getting the last laugh.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Problem is . . a whole ton of people were wrong about Mario and they won't admit it.

I want to see John McClain, Richard Justice, Rich Lord, ESPN, and the rest of the national news media crawl on their hands and knees up to Mario, and watch him give them all the back of his hand.

Has Second Honeymoon retracted his "workout warrior/front office myopia" parade yet?
Old 12-14-2007   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Has Second Honeymoon retracted his "workout warrior/front office myopia" parade yet?
No, and he probably never will. Second Honeymoon is a little like Charley Casserly. He thinks he's smarter than anyone else in the room.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #5
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87412 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I was wrong about Mario, but I was even more wrong about Reggie Bush. I am glad I was wrong. Maybe VY will rebound and have a great career, but I don't see that from Reggie at all. Mario is showing huge progress. We had a killer draft class in 06. But I still think Casserly had very little to do with it.
Old 12-14-2007   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario needed Mike Gundy's help last year .

I think Bush may have peeked last year and VY is in a sophmore slump which most folks believed could'nt happen because ... well ... he's VY .

The great thing is , going into next year we will have three top 5 players at their positions .

DE Mario
MLB Demeco
WR AJ

That will be a first .
Old 12-14-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Alright, I'll man up and say Mario has become a dominate player. I was wrong about him, and I admit it. Here is hoping he keeps doing damage (and I still hope my boy Reggie get's healthy).

Mario for Pro-Bowl
Apple..... I have given you a hard time in the past over this subject, so a I appreciate you 'manning up'.... I've always respected you, but that respect level just rose a little more!!!

Cheers!!!
Old 12-14-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

I think Bush may have peeked last year and VY is in a sophmore slump which most folks believed could'nt happen because ... well ... he's VY .

The great thing is , going into next year we will have three top 5 players at their positions .

DE Mario
MLB Demeco
WR AJ

That will be a first .
I don't hate VY. I wanted a left tackle. A great left tackle. However, I had few doubts that Mario would end up being more productive at his poition and get us to where we want to go quicker than Vincent would. Quite a few didn't believe that. It just took Mario awhile to get over the foot injury and proceed with his journey to the HOF. The beast is now self aware. And the beast is hoooooungry.
Old 12-14-2007   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Apple..... I have given you a hard time in the past over this subject, so a I appreciate you 'manning up'.... I've always respected you, but that respect level just rose a little more!!!

Cheers!!!
Appreciate it man. Still hope my boy Reggie get's healthy and gets back into form, but I am on the Mario bandwagon
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mario for Pro-Bowl
good post apple. rep your way for manning up
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel the same way. Big ol' Im sorry! is due to that guy ASAP from me
Old 12-14-2007   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

From everything I've read since the 2006 draft, I firmly believe that Casserly was the first one to speak up and say, "You know what? I want this Mario kid. I don't know how I feel about this bad publicity with Bush; but regardless, I really like Mario Williams and that's who I think we should pick."

Sometime shortly after that, Kubiak was apparently the first one to agree with Casserly.

Casserly made some really stupid moves with the Texans, but I do believe he deserves most of the credit for this one. Lord knows we gave him most of the blame when most of us (including me) didn't really think Mario would ever live up to it.

--First I wanted a trade down.
--That didnt' seem possible, so I wanted Bush.
--Then I worried (wisely) about Bush running between the tackles and wanted Young.
--Then they screwed up royally and gave Carr that extension, so I was very confused about what to do.
--I just knew one thing: Mario Williams was not worth a #1 pick.

However, ever since the day they drafted him (practically anyway) I've been defending him in the sense that he is a top 5 pick, even if it wasn't the right thing to do. He's no bust. I'm very glad I was wrong and Williams was exactly what we needed.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I don't know about the rest, but Richard Justice basically admitted he was wrong about the '06 draft in his column dated 10 December 2007:

Quote:
Well, Richard, are you going to apologize for all those terrible things you said about Kubiak not drafting Reggie Bush or your boy Vince Young?

Indeed. Mario Williams appears to be the best player to come out of the 2006 draft. Yes, the Texans appear to have gotten it right.
I couldn't be happier to see Mario step up and fulfill his potential. As Texans fans, we've been beaten down by both the national and local media, and it's gotten to the point of just digging your heels in and defending our guy.

So I can't say I am not a little happy that the other two are having sophomore slumps while Mario is showing the league that he's going to be an elite DE in the coming years.

13 sacks and counting!!!
Old 12-14-2007   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

dang, DB I was reading your quote and thought you had Vinsanty ..and was laughing ..I need glasses
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #15
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113372 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wrong about the correct pick choice. I couldn't really say that Mario was a bad pick just because I didn't know enough about his game, although he made me have serious doubts last season.

I originally thought that we badly needed a playmaker on the offense. Bush seemed to be that "can't miss" guy. So yeah, I listened to the hype.

I wonder if this will help quiet the still-discontent VY fans who insist he can walk on water, heal people through the television and raise the dead. I had a Vick-like feeling about VY, so I was never high on him for Houston and while I refuse to call anyone a bust just yet, Mario is proving game in and game out that he's turning into a beast, while VY and Bush are not getting the job done given where they were drafted.

It's not a bad feeling to be wrong in this case. This is really good for Mario and for the team, because he's really making a name for himself and he's part of recent discussions about mistaken opinions about the 2006 in the national media, which gets us attention and motivates (I can only believe) Mario to keep going out there and proving people wrong. His confidence has to be soaring at this point in the season.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #16
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:

Mario for Pro-Bowl
Love it!! I'm with you though. In spirit of your coming out party, I'll go ahead and close out my Draft D'Brickashaw thread!! LOL
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #17
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:

Mario for Pro-Bowl
Rep for stepping up. I hope Reggie gets healthy for his state of mind, but that's it.
Old 12-14-2007   #18
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

DE Mario
MLB Demeco
WR AJ

That will be a first .
I think you can even add Kris Brown to that list. I know, he's a kicker, but he's on that list as well.
Old 12-14-2007   #19
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Its good to see Apple admitting he was wrong about Mario. Any Real Texan fan that doubted Mario should happily admit they were wrong about him because him playing the way he is now is worthy of the #1 pick.

9 sacks in the last 5 games...thats crazy. If he keeps that up...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #20
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Nice. Your Reggie posts were aggravating as he77 to me, but I'm glad to see you on board, man. For my part, I wasn’t crazy about Amobi over Revis, but seeing how Fred Bennett has stepped up and Amobi is well on his way, I will happily eat that crow.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read