Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2007   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Red zone stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Any idea how many RZ possessions each QB has? The discussion presented to me was that Sage has more chances in the RZ than Matt, which I disputed.
That granular reporting I do not believe is available and would constitute taking the data that is out there at the team level and then splicing it from there based upon who was under center. The data that Lucky has produced is only based on passing attempts and does take into account rushes.
Old 12-15-2007   #22
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Nope, just red zone defined by the situational stats by being in the opponent's side of the field from the 19 yard line through the goal line.
my point was that sage and aj havent had any huge plays yet.. like matt and aj do
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #23
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Redzone issues aside, I think that Matt is more likely to make the big play. That just demoralizes the defense. But I don't understand why every wants to start Sage over Matt. What has Matt shown you that makes you believe he's not a good starting QB. With a better running game and better PASS PROTECTION(not just sacks taken, but how many times have you seen Matt hurried or hit after he's thrown? TONS!) Matt can be a top 10 QB easy, and with more time in the system and a healthy AJ a top 5 QB.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #24
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That granular reporting I do not believe is available and would constitute taking the data that is out there at the team level and then splicing it from there based upon who was under center. The data that Lucky has produced is only based on passing attempts and does take into account rushes.
sage is the clear winner in the redzone offence

ugh that was painful:

matt has qb'ed 23 trips to the RZ resulting in 9 tds, 13 fgs, 1 int, 0 fumbles
sage has qb'ed 15 trips to the RZ resulting in 12 tds, 1 fgs, 1 int, 1 fumble (v TB)

note this was done manually and was pretty boring but hopefully theres not mistake...

1) @atl we got to the atl 19 after a 3rd down pass and kicked a fg- i didnt count that since it really wasnt a RZ offence imo
2) sages int came on a play @ the SD 20.. i always thought from 20 in was the RZ so i counted it
3) 1 of matts fg's came as we ran out of time in the first half v the saints.. we kicked it on 2nd down after a spike

Last edited by Maddict5; 12-15-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2007   #25
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

I think once he develops Schaub will bascially be a Matt Hasslebeck type QB. He wont ever be Manning, but with the right pieces in place he could still take the team to the superbowl. He has struggled in the red zone, this is quite common among rookie QBs because the red zone is the most difficult area to pass in. Sage Rosenfels has been awesome this season, no question about it. People ask the question what has Matt done to deserve losing the starting spot, but they never ask the opposite question, what has Sage done to deserve to lose the starting spot. There is no question that Sage has played every bit as good as Matt.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #26
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
matt has qb'ed 23 trips to the RZ resulting in 10 tds, 13 fgs, 0 int, 0 fumbles
sage has qb'ed 15 trips to the RZ resulting in 12 tds, 1 fgs, 1 int, 1 fumble (v TB)
are you sure about this? I seem to remember Matt throwing at least one INT while in the red zone.
Old 12-15-2007   #27
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
sage is the clear winner in the redzone offence

ugh that was painful:

matt has qb'ed 23 trips to the RZ resulting in 10 tds, 13 fgs, 0 int, 0 fumbles

note this was done manually and was pretty boring but hopefully theres not mistake...

1) @atl we got to the atl 19 after a 3rd down pass and kicked a fg- i didnt count that since it really wasnt a RZ offence imo
2) sages int came on a play @ the SD 20.. i always thought from 20 in was the RZ so i counted it
3) 1 of matts fg's came as we ran out of time in the first half v the saints.. we kicked it on 2nd down after a spike
Appreciate the work, did you account for the AJ variable?
Old 12-15-2007   #28
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
are you sure about this? I seem to remember Matt throwing at least one INT while in the red zone.
I believe that was a pass play involving AJ (just outside of the RZ) and AJ did not make a great effort.
Old 12-15-2007   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, he had one against the Colts right after the big JJ punt return, iirc.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #30
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yes, he had one against the Colts right after the big JJ punt return, iirc.
Good memory

Indianapolis Colts at 06:14
1-10-IND 26 (6:14) 29-J.Addai right guard to IND 29 for 3 yards (56-M.Greenwood).
2-7-IND 29 (5:43) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete short left to 87-R.Wayne (23-D.Robinson).
3-7-IND 29 (5:33) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete short right to 44-D.Clark.
4-7-IND 29 (5:26) 17-H.Smith punts 63 yards to HOU 8, Center-48-J.Snow. 12-J.Jones ran ob at IND 18 for 74 yards (17-H.Smith). (Punt hang time 3.8 seconds.) HOU's 12 Jones injured on the return and taken for x-rays.

Houston Texans at 05:09
1-10-IND 18 (5:09) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle intended for 83-K.Walter INTERCEPTED by 58-G.Brackett at IND 3. 58-G.Brackett to IND 29 for 26 yards (44-V.Leach).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...2007&week=REG3
Old 12-15-2007   #31
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
i do too but apparently not on a play from the 20 or inside... maybe on the 25or 30 yd line

Quote:
Appreciate the work, did you account for the AJ variable?
no but i still have the info here

sage: with aj: 7 RZ trips: 6 tds, 1 fumble
without aj: 8 RZ trips: 6 tds, 1 fg, 1 int (impressive):

matt: with aj: 12 RZ trips: 6 tds, 6 fgs
without aj: 11 trips: 3 tds, 7 fgs, 1 int

Last edited by Maddict5; 12-15-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2007   #32
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good memory

Indianapolis Colts at 06:14
1-10-IND 26 (6:14) 29-J.Addai right guard to IND 29 for 3 yards (56-M.Greenwood).
2-7-IND 29 (5:43) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete short left to 87-R.Wayne (23-D.Robinson).
3-7-IND 29 (5:33) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete short right to 44-D.Clark.
4-7-IND 29 (5:26) 17-H.Smith punts 63 yards to HOU 8, Center-48-J.Snow. 12-J.Jones ran ob at IND 18 for 74 yards (17-H.Smith). (Punt hang time 3.8 seconds.) HOU's 12 Jones injured on the return and taken for x-rays.

Houston Texans at 05:09
1-10-IND 18 (5:09) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle intended for 83-K.Walter INTERCEPTED by 58-G.Brackett at IND 3. 58-G.Brackett to IND 29 for 26 yards (44-V.Leach).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...2007&week=REG3
oops sorry guys

its fixed... when it was only a 1 play 'drive', i mustve missed it scanning through the play-by-play

Last edited by Maddict5; 12-15-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2007   #33
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:

nice work, thanks for compiling the stat. I cant help but notice that Sage likes to get TDs when he is in the red zone.
Old 12-15-2007   #34
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
nice work, thanks for compiling the stat. I cant help but notice that Sage likes to get TDs when he is in the red zone.

yep sage def have much better stats in the RZ but i did notice we kicked some really short fgs earlier in the season (on ATL 1 yard line most memorably).. i dont think we'd see that today
Old 12-15-2007   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i do too but apparently not on a play from the 20 or inside... maybe on the 25or 30 yd line

no but i still have the info here

Thanks for the information. Very interesting to read.
Old 12-16-2007   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, early in the season, Matt had a couple of questionable throws in the red zone. After those throws (including the interception), he started playing it a lot safer in situations like that. Sage wings them in there in the RZ. Some of his throws are really threading the needle.

I think Matt's just trying not to make a mistake and lose points when he's down there and that was keeping him out of the end zone.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read