Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2007   #1
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did anyone see Earl Campbell....

On "In my own words" on Fox Sports Southwest? Earl Campbell was my first true sports here, and remains so today. I would have liked to see the whole thing, but wasn't able to. The little bit I did see made my eyes well up pretty good, I hate to see the shape that he's in. Anyway here's to remembering Earl, and the great moments he gave our city. I guess I should say your city, but I'm a Houston sports nut what can I say?
Old 12-08-2007   #2
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did anyone see Earl Campbell....

On "In my own words" on Fox Sports Southwest? Earl Campbell was my first true sports here, and remains so today. I would have liked to see the whole thing, but wasn't able to. The little bit I did see made my eyes well up pretty good, I hate to see the shape that he's in. Anyway here's to remembering Earl, and the great moments he gave our city. I guess I should say your city, but I'm a Houston sports nut what can I say?

Mods move this to the appropriate thread if needed. Although I don't think we should regulate Earl to NFL talk.
Old 12-08-2007   #3
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did anyone see Earl Campbell....

I see that avatar someone here has of Earl destroying that Rams player, and it's still as awesome as it was the day I saw it live. It takes a minute or so to load for me sometimes and I get to see it in slow motion and that Rams player's body just collapses like you just let go of an untied balloon. AWESOME!!

To this day, I've still never seen a back with that much power to go with the speed. I hear old timers say Jim Brown was like that, but I never saw Brown play.

I went to the 50 greatest Houston sports heroes thingy when the Super Bowl was here and it was a little difficult seeing Earl struggle like that. The eyes were definitely getting watery.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Ram linebacker was Isiah Robertson, love to see that play all the way to the end when his jersey disintegrates.

I saw the segment where he talks about being a linebacker in HS and the coach needed a running back. Couldn't stick around to see more, but would love to have.
Showtime100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1hK_4ky1o

earl in '79 versus miami
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #6
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
That has to be the most memoriable NFL game I ever saw. Thanks for posting that link.

Earl was a special player!
Old 12-08-2007   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
I feel the exact same way. Earl was so AWESOME!

Adrian Peterson reminds me a LITTLE bit of Earl, he is very fast and runs with a lot of power....different body types, similiar style. Not saying he is nearly as durable or in his class, but time will tell.
Old 12-08-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGUYL...eature=related

another one sounds like NFL films
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #9
atxlaurie
Rookie

Rep Power: 8 atxlaurie is a Pro Bowleratxlaurie is a Pro Bowler

That link you posted Wolf was awesome. Thanks. Did ya hear Cosell say "the Houston Oilers are America's Team"? That's a good one. Whatever to the cowgirls. Ha!
atxlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #10
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Monday Night Football. Earl and the Oilers were facing Bob Griesie and the Dolphins as Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and the late great Howard Cossell looked on. Earl played like a man possessed amid a flurry of blue and white pom-poms and one of the most annoying fight-songs EVER written. Bum Phillips stood on the sidelines in his trademark Stetson and I ignored my 10:00 lights out (sorry for disobeying ya mom) to catch every second of it. The Love ya Blue Era...had begun. I remember it vaguely.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I found a post I made two years ago about that night: (it was November '78 not '79)

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=18

The only similarity between Adrian Peterson and Earl is that they are from the same general area of East Texas.

Last edited by aj.; 12-08-2007 at 07:39 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to remember one of their offensive linemen getting fighting mad when the writing was on the wall they were going to lose that game. I'm sure it wasn't Larry Little, but it took about five guys to restrain him from whoever he wanted a piece of. The Dolphins had an attitude back then like Houston couldn't possibly beat them. I guess they learned different in the playoffs.
Old 12-08-2007   #13
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
Bum Phillips stood on the sidelines in his trademark Stetson and I ignored my 10:00 lights out (sorry for disobeying ya mom) to catch every second of it. The Love ya Blue Era...had begun. I remember it vaguely.
Bum never wore his hat indoors.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #14
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
Monday Night Football. Earl and the Oilers were facing Bob Griesie and the Dolphins as Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and the late great Howard Cossell looked on. Earl played like a man possessed amid a flurry of blue and white pom-poms and one of the most annoying fight-songs EVER written. Bum Phillips stood on the sidelines in his trademark Stetson and I ignored my 10:00 lights out (sorry for disobeying ya mom) to catch every second of it. The Love ya Blue Era...had begun. I remember it vaguely.
I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

I loved the song and would stand and recite every word when it was played during the games. .. Back when I could afford season tickets. Still have my 45 rpm recording.

I read the Chronics story in Sundays paper about the luv ya blue era. It made me wonder, will the Texans ever reach that level? Will fans ever greet them at home with such zeal, even after losing a game?

Here's hoping...

Old 12-09-2007   #15
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

This UT highlight is a classic Earl run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvVa...eature=related
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #16
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Bum never wore his hat indoors.
He did Earl's rookie season, or at least part of it. Then he made an announcement that his momma taught him to not wear a hat in doors and the dome was indoors so he was not going to wear it in there anymore.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #17
austintexanite
All Pro

I've seen it a couple of times, and I get so sad when I see him speak and him not able to walk for great lengths.
Old 12-09-2007   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
He did Earl's rookie season, or at least part of it. Then he made an announcement that his momma taught him to not wear a hat in doors and the dome was indoors so he was not going to wear it in there anymore.
Probably. You can still see that in East texas. Woe to the person who walked into my grandmother's house wearing a hat. Bum is the same way. Never wore a hat in the Dome.
Old 12-10-2007   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

did anyone else see the thing with earl and bob costas? f.ing great.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read