Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2005   #21
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Armstrong and Gaffney will be our slot guys, and we are set at the slot. Gaffney and Armstrong are solid, dependable players as is Stokley in Indy. Both are suited for curls, slants, seams, working linebacker zones and short out patterns. The Texans need speed on the edge to keep the defense honest and to make them pay for rolling the S to AJ's side constantly. Personally, I feel the team will sign a veteran WR for the edge and will not take a WR in the draft.

Good thread.

I like the upside to Earl and Babin as guys who may be 'most improved'. I have my fingers crossed with Joppru and Hollings.
I agree 100% with all that Vinny. I would like to see us sign one of the premium free agent OL on the market this offseason also but I know cap space is not what it used to be.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #22
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Default not mentioned

I agree with the one's mentioned and really hope we are right on Pitts/Wand.

No one mentioned Ramon Walker. He missed all of last season but was our best special teams player the prior year. - a playmaker. Could he also push for playing time at Safety ?

Charlie Anderson - a defensive end in college so he is making the conversion to linebacker. Managed to show enough to the coaches this year to get himself some playing time. With another offseason he should make some giant leaps on the learning curve.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #23
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

ON DEFENSE
1. Babin and Peek. I think these two guys are going to develop into the pass rushers we have been waiting for and will have at least 16 sacks between them.

2. Earl. After the draft it was uncertain if he would even get off of the IR this year, and he ended up claiming the starting spot. With a year of experience he should be even better.

3. Robinson. The fourth youngster on defense and probably already the best defensive player on the team. I see him being more consistent and playing at a high level the entire season.

4. Walker. After a Pro Bowl season in 2002 he missed most of 2003 with injuries and was slowed by injuries in 2004. He won't be at the same level as 2002, but he will be better next year.

ON OFFENSE
1. Wand and Pitts. These guys have the talent. A year of experience together and at their current positions will really help.........we all hope.

2. Carr. If the line gives him time, he could compete for a Pro Bowl spot. Seriously. He was fifth in the AFC in passing yards behind Green, Manning, Plummer and Brady. With better protection alone his yardage and touchdown numbers should go up and interceptions go down. Add another year of experience and next year could/should be Carr's breakout year.

3. Palmer's reputation. If Carr can get some blocking, I think the Texans offense will be one of the better ones in the league. Of course, the Palmer bashers will ignorantly claim that the Texans should have been opening up the offense all along and that Palmer only loosened things up because he was afraid of losing his job, again not seeing the elephant in the room that is the pourous offensive line that has been holding back the offense all along.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i think babin played OK last season but truly needs to use his hands more and improve his pass rush skills. But he was excellent stopping the run the whole season. Him and peek should make a dangerious squad come next season !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #25
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Armstrong and Gaffney will be our slot guys, and we are set at the slot. Gaffney and Armstrong are solid, dependable players as is Stokley in Indy. Both are suited for curls, slants, seams, working linebacker zones and short out patterns. The Texans need speed on the edge to keep the defense honest and to make them pay for rolling the S to AJ's side constantly. Personally, I feel the team will sign a veteran WR for the edge and will not take a WR in the draft.
I hope we take a veteran as well. If we wanted to draft someone to replace Bradford, we should have done it last season. We need someone that can step in and play outside opposite AJ right away.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #26
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

well if we cant find our want any veteran fast outside recievers than maybe we should keep bradford, i mean he does still have the speed, carr just needs more time and maybe we can get him the deep ball a little more often !
Old 02-02-2005   #27
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

babinmania huh i like that. they need to come out with babin halloween costumes, all them tats can get scary !
Old 02-02-2005   #28
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

besides the spin move does babins have any other pass rush moves? because maybe he can pick up some moves from Sharper and Peek.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #29
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

he just needs to work on his hands, so he can use them to get past linemen as well, cause he does spin a lot more than i think he needs to !
Old 02-02-2005   #30
DominatorDavis
Veteran

My feeling this off season is that we need to draft and acquire free agents in every area on both sides of the ball where there exists a weakness. Guys need to develop and be rock solid or this team will be forever labled as "expansion". Should we draft a left tackle? you bet. Do we acquire a another high level tight end? without a doubt. Do we pick a defensive tackle in the draft? He should be first on the list.

This is not about "giving guys time" to get better. We are past that time now. They have to be better and I think that this year (2005) we will cross that threshhold.

Our development as a team has been steady and our core guys allow us to focus our efforts onto the weaker parts of the team. That is exactly what management will do.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #31
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=DominatorDavis]

This is not about "giving guys time" to get better. We are past that time now. They have to be better and I think that this year (2005) we will cross that threshhold.

Amen to that!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #32
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

I think rookies coming in need time to develop, you cant say they dont, its a difficult adjustment. Veterans do not need the time but the rookies have to learn new schemes on this defense, many times new positions like Peek and Babin, so you do expect them to take some time to develop. I think that those two OLBs will show that they have become ready. It is frustrating when your team isnt doing as well as you want, but you also have to be realistic. Also the oline, no big excuses, did have to learn a new scheme this year that was foreign to them. I think that this team will show great improvements next year with a couple key pickups, namely Lineman on both sides, and either moving wong to ILB or drafting one. I dont want a new OLB, I was Peek and Babin and those two will combine for at least 20 sacks if they both start. Guaranteed!
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #33
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a pretty solid team, but we need more defensive playmakers o the line. Guys that make things happen draw attention and thus open up opportunities for others. I'd really like a disruptive DE who can stop the run, but also pressure the QB. A guy like that will help Robaire, Babin, Peek, Dunta, etc.

Next, I'd really like a Haus-like C...like Baas. He could hold the point of attack against the biggest inside lineman and as Vinny says help the pocket actually form.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #34
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah i rookies do need a little time to develope, i mean everyone cant be like big ben. But the only reason he was so good is cause the solid players he had around him, and its a little different on defense !
Old 02-03-2005   #35
DominatorDavis
Veteran

I should prefface my earlier point. Of course rookies need time. They need time to develop when there is no one else behind them to compete for the starting position other then a weaker player, a street free agent or another rookie. In other words when the team has no choice but to play them. So yes I agree with some of the earlier points stating that.

Having said that, if there is a player that we can get - at some level, whether it be via free agent, trade, or by draft, which will institute a talent laden player in a position that has in the past, had less then desirable results, then that is a good thing for the strength of the team. If that means supplanting a younger or older player - so be it. The idea is to improve. A team does that by making these types of judgement calls.

So more candidly I would ask - who do you place in the starting line up? The guy who is really good right now or the guy who could be good?

Or better yet, who do you keep on the team? A guy who can right now provide you with a starting role on some level or a guy who might be good enough for the team if he develops?

One would assume that the answer is self evident.

I just think that with where we are as a team that we are past the developmental point at most positions. Some players are just good enough to beat out a developmental guy. There is still room there, but these types of situations are becomming fewer and fewer on this team. As it is, they there - sure, but it is getting tougher to be a developmental guy and make this team. That was my point.

In order to keep these developmental players in the loop the NFL created the European league.

It speaks volumes, but it does not bode well for Dave Ragone that he has been allocated there.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #36
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

i would have to agree with some of your assesment, if it is a old player with 1 MAYBE 2 more years left that i say you put in the young guy now, or atleast get him some PT to let him develope, and it really depends on the position,,,,for instance it is much more difficult to come in and play QB than it is to come in and be a defensive tackle. Same goes for a WR vs a cornerback ! So depending on the type of position or the age of the more "experienced" player. I'd have to say that sometimes a rook starting could be a good thing, and sometimes like our OL not such a good thing !
Old 02-03-2005   #37
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people are reading WAY too far into Dave Ragone being sent to europe.

B.J. couldnt go cause he is injured. We need a QB with some experience to back up Carr.. This is a great way for Ragone to get that experience. I honestly dont think we sent him to give him one more try :P.. we sent him to get him some game time.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #38
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

ya know ragone looked pretty good in the pre season, not like he had a chance to show us what he could do this year (i'm glad) but i think from his first year to just what i saw this pre season he had made some progress !

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read