Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2007   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in

and currently held by your Houston Texans:

1. 17 Players on IR

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5360662.html

2. Most turnovers in the entire league

(searching for link for this one)

Just thought I would spread the joy. We have to re-group and try to finish strong but this year has been harsh. I hope we can get most everyone healthy by next year. I have no clue why we can't protect the ball any better. That needs to be fixed by the end of the year regardless.
Old 12-07-2007   #2
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in

I'm pretty sure we led the NFL last year too for players on IR. Can anyone verify that?

Anyway, it's a sad commentary for our team to be leading in both those stats and very disappointing. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #3
whiskeyrbl

We did and I think it was 17 on IR last year.
Old 12-07-2007   #4
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

so... does that mean our teams is full of softies? Or does that mean our team just plays with that much steam that their bodies take such a beating. Or do we pick up the worst players in FA. or . . .
Old 12-07-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this in another thread.... Maybe we should take a look at our strength and conditioning coach...
Old 12-07-2007   #6
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

The worst stat to lead is in losses......we all know who leads in that column.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #7
austintexanite
All Pro

Old 12-07-2007   #8
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I said this in another thread.... Maybe we should take a look at our strength and conditioning coach...
I agree. We have come close to leading the league in players put on IR almost every year.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I agree. We have come close to leading the league in players put on IR almost every year.

I'll put an "amen" to your "yea."

All teams will have injuries.

All teams will have bad years for injuries.

But when a team consistently loses players to injury, can't get them back on the field, and ends up IR'ing them, it might be time to revisit what you are doing in the offseason.
Old 12-07-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries happen, you have to work around those.

The turnover issue is a huge one, we will never be a contender if we keep turning the ball over.... especially when don't take the ball away.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
and currently held by your Houston Texans:

1. 17 Players on IR

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5360662.html

2. Most turnovers in the entire league

(searching for link for this one)

Just thought I would spread the joy. We have to re-group and try to finish strong but this year has been harsh. I hope we can get most everyone healthy by next year. I have no clue why we can't protect the ball any better. That needs to be fixed by the end of the year regardless.
OT, Round Rock stadium is the best stadium I've been in, besides Reliant. The press box is by far the best I've been in.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
The worst stat to lead is in losses......we all know who leads in that column.
I was thinking the W-L thingie too.
Old 12-08-2007   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Does this fall more on the S&C coach or the training staff?

I would like to place the blame on whoever feeds us false information after a player gets injured..."____ is fine, just a sore knee" right before he gets put on IR and or released/retired.
Old 12-08-2007   #14
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Initially I thought that leading the league in players on the IR was an indication that the Texans had a bad Strength and Conditioning coach, but then I thought that maybe the injuries are actually caused by poor play. In other words players are so out of position during a play that they end up running into each other and thus becoming injured. I'm not sure what can be done about that.
Old 12-08-2007   #15
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: The Two Worst Stats to Lead the NFL in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
so... does that mean our teams is full of softies? Or does that mean our team just plays with that much steam that their bodies take such a beating. Or do we pick up the worst players in FA. or . . .
No, it means we're a bad team. Chicken and Egg. Bad team-->injuries-->Bad team-->injuries

And at the end of the season, we have about 3 new needs in addition to our 3 previous needs. Say we fill 3, well, we start off the next year a bad team, and...
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #16
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/take-give.htm

I think according to the graph, we have the most turnovers in the NFL. Baltimore is very close....

Damn, we're also 2nd in the league in lost fumbles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2007

BSPN shows our defense evens out our offensive miscues.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em

Last edited by Texans34Life; 12-08-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #17
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ibar??..
Old 12-08-2007   #18
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Initially I thought that leading the league in players on the IR was an indication that the Texans had a bad Strength and Conditioning coach, but then I thought that maybe the injuries are actually caused by poor play. In other words players are so out of position during a play that they end up running into each other and thus becoming injured. I'm not sure what can be done about that.
Fire all of the coaches, waterboys, janitors, and receptionists. Flatten all of their houses and spread salt on the lots. Terminate all of the contracts of current players. Flatten their houses too.

Ultimately, just start everything over from scratch.

Or, just bring in Dan Reeves to take a look at the operation and make some recommendations on the coaching staff as well as the off-season strength and conditioning program.

*sigh*

I'm just a fan. I don't know much except that there is only so much talent to go around in the NFL. You've got some premier talent on some premier teams (maybe 6 of 32 teams) and most everyone else (say 26 of 32 teams) is reasonably equal in terms of depth and talent. Yes, I know that I'm painting with a very broad brush here.

So, if you're not a premier team in any given year, what makes the difference? What gets you over the hump? Staying healthy and keeping what talent you do have on the field and not turning the ball over. How do you do that?

Injuries during the season are unavoidable, but based on the amount of injuries that we have, I think that the organization needs to re-evaluate what they are doing in the offseason. Maybe everything is great with our s&c prgram and the injuries are just unfortunate circumstance. But maybe there is room for improvement on either helping to prevent some injuries or in getting some players back on the field faster.

IMO, turnovers are one of those things that coaching can help to offset. I think that we need some help in our coaching department. Our offense is blah. Our defense is vanilla. If there is only so much talent out there, you have to be able to coach up what talent you do have. So far, I think that this coaching staff has done the opposite and that (particularly on defense) the defense has been coached down BELOW what their talent would indicate that they are capable of.

Which ties in with what BRT said - perhaps the coaches (in addition to not getting the guys ready in the offseason) aren't coaching the players well enough to keep them out of bad positions to keep from getting injured....

*disclaimer: the post above is strictly loose opinion and the author does not consider himself an authority on much of anything other than perhaps how to keep from cursing in front of his children during a Texans loss.*
Old 12-08-2007   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

maybe they get hurt and injured so much because other teams arent afraid to lay the wood to our guys because they know we won't do anything back to them. After all, Kubiak says that 'we don't play that type of football'.....

....yeah we dont play a lot of types of football...most importantly....WINNING FOOTBALL
Old 12-08-2007   #20
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
But when a team consistently loses players to injury, can't get them back on the field, and ends up IR'ing them, it might be time to revisit what you are doing in the offseason.
They did, but maybe they didn't look hard enough. Some of the injuries we've had are freak accidents - Spencer & Dunta (friendly fire), Schaub - but the majority are kind of murky to me. Mathis for one. Harrison for another - he was here how long before getting IR'ed?

With Schaub, we'd be up to 20. No one else in the league is even close to that - they range from 2 (damn lucky Cowpokes!) to 13. I think we were near the top of the league last year as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post

BSPN shows our defense evens out our offensive miscues.
Someone there didn't do their rithmatic - that should be -10 in turnovers differential.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read