Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Are we out of luck for the wild card?
Yes 98 84.48%
No 18 15.52%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2007   #61
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you think we are out of luck for the wild card spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Decent post. I'm curious as to why you mentioned the bolded statement. Unless you're speaking of the pre-Kubiak era, what have they done wrong? Sure, they picked up YKW's option, but soon admittingly realized their mistake and moved on. Since Kubiak has been here we've had a couple really good drafts and have done nicely in FA with the kind of cap space we've had to work with.

Personally, I like the FO we have. With a couple assistant coaching changes we'll be in good shape.

McNair is a newby and has admitted making mistakes and will learn from them (unlike a previous owner).

HOU-TEX Almost all of you posting at this site have a deeper and more educated understanding of the Texans than I do. I was just stating my opinions from outside the fan base.
I believe a true team is built from the center out. The Browns finally spent a high first round pick on a left tackle (Joe Thomas) and are seeing immediate results. Carr kept getting killed behind the Texans line and I do not recall any massive efforts to get FA or 1st round talent to help. Not picking Vince Young was wrong IMO. Giving up picks for Schaub and not fixing the O-line was backwards. Not getting anything for Carr just seems wrong also.

Most of this happened under prior management. You asked for my opinion. I know I have the advantage of hindsight on some of this. Again, just an opinion from outside looking in. I did not mean to offend you or disparage in any way the Texans.
Old 12-06-2007   #62
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

we're a houston team. there's no chance.
Old 12-06-2007   #63
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdawg View Post
Giving up picks for Schaub and not fixing the O-line was backwards.
They had to get a decent quarterback in here, hence Schaub. After that they used their limited resources - available money for free agents/high draft slots - on other positions. D-Line, running back, receiver, etc. They did throw some money at Jordan Black, but that hasn't returned much on the investment.

It was a matter of priority, and the Texans prioritized o-line lower than other positions. I'm sure this was influenced by the talent available at the various positions too

You make a good point though, at this rate Schaub won't last his contract. The Texans have needed to address the line for some time; maybe the next off-season will be the one.
Old 12-06-2007   #64
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdawg View Post
HOU-TEX Almost all of you posting at this site have a deeper and more educated understanding of the Texans than I do. I was just stating my opinions from outside the fan base.
I believe a true team is built from the center out. The Browns finally spent a high first round pick on a left tackle (Joe Thomas) and are seeing immediate results. Carr kept getting killed behind the Texans line and I do not recall any massive efforts to get FA or 1st round talent to help. Not picking Vince Young was wrong IMO. Giving up picks for Schaub and not fixing the O-line was backwards. Not getting anything for Carr just seems wrong also.

Most of this happened under prior management. You asked for my opinion. I know I have the advantage of hindsight on some of this. Again, just an opinion from outside looking in. I did not mean to offend you or disparage in any way the Texans.
And so does Kubiak. The problem is/was that we were trying to build from the "center out" on both sides of the ball (offense & defense). And, we were switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense, which only made things more difficult.

In Kubiak's 1st Draft (06), he got Mario in the 1st, DeMeco in the 2nd (solidifying def. front 7), and then we had the 1st 2 picks of the 3rd round where he got Eric "The GEICO Caveman" Winston and Charles Spencer (a RT and LT). He also signed Flanagan (Center) and Salaam (LT) in FA. Spencer started the 06 season as the starting LT for 1 1/2 games when he broke his leg. Salaam has been there ever since. It's hoped that Spencer will be back next year 100%, but there's no guarantee. They were very high on him. Winston has been our starting RT since mid season 06 and doing OK.

In Kubiak's 2nd Draft (this time with Rick Smith as GM), they got Okoye (DT) in the 1st, and Frye (LT) in the 5th and Studdard (G) in the 6th. They also picked up Black (LT/RT) in FA. So, it's not like they are neglecting the O-line completely, and believe me, if Joe Thomas would have been there when we picked, they would have taken him.

You say we should have started by building our O-line first and then get a QB, but you say we should have taken VY. Kubiak thought he could correct and coach Carr's problems and that's why he was signed. It didn't work out. Carr had been damaged too much (gunshy, shellshocked, etc...). It was a mistake and Kubes knows that, but we have to move on.

What you, and others, have to remember is that Kubiak and Smith are having to build this team almost from scratch. It takes time, that's all. They'll get it done. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #65
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
What you, and others, have to remember is that Kubiak and Smith are having to build this team almost from scratch. It takes time, that's all. They'll get it done. JMHO!

A point that a lot of us forget about sometimes. When Kubes took over the team, we should have mentally considered ourselves back in a rebuilding phase again. But sometimes it difficult watching the same old loses year after year.

I think, baring another season of frigging injuries to key personel, we'll finally be 8-8 or better next year. Of course I said that about this year to.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #66
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141321 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Do you think we are out of luck for the wild card spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Statistically . . no.

Realistically . . yes.

"Playoffs? Wha..Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you...are you kidding me? Playoffs?" :Jim Mohra

"They ARE who we THOUGHT they were!" : Dennis Green

The Texans are a group of bad mother-hubbards who will MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS BABY!...Just not THIS year. But I think they've learned some lessons from this year and will continue to grow. Next year will be a wildcard year.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #67
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Do you think we are out of luck for the wild card spot?

Fix the OL, then we can look at the playoffs. I predicted 7-9. We'll be lucky to get that with all the injuries. So much work to do this off season. Good thing there are some good OL this draft.
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #68
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Do you think we are out of luck for the wild card spot?
Umm...don't you have to begin with some sort of luck in order to become out of it??

The last 2 or 3 years this team hasn't had any luck at all. The Texans are freakin cursed or something.
Old 12-07-2007   #69
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Mathematically we can still make it but we have to win out, SD has to win their division and Cleveland has to lose three games.
So with out depth at C/G, with the lead back recently placed on IR..with the other sixteen on IR, you expect us to win four in a row ? Including the next game a short week game. Do something that they have never done befor...win three in a row in the same season, check that make that four in a row...with the number two QB and a rookie starting @ RG..? Is that the question ? Oh hell Yeah ! That's a lock for sure.
Old 12-07-2007   #70
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Frankly, I'd be shocked if we are anything but 5-11 at season's end. We might take Denver, but I think Tampa, Indy and Jacksonville are predictable loses.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read