Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2007   #161
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Personally, I would love to see the Texans try and fill some of the wholes on the Defensive side with Free Agents like CB Asante Samuel, and RDE Terrell Suggs. Then they can concentrate on the Offensive side of the ball in the draft, particularly O-Line.
Samuels is trying to get paaaaiiiiiiiiiid when he leaves the Patriots. I'd rather pass on him, and get somebody like Nnamdi Asomugha (who has a player option coming up this year). After him, if we're playing fantasy free agent signings then I'd go for some talent in the OLB department with Lance Briggs who will be pricey, but I think will be well worth it. The Bears are trying desperately to get him to sign, and he's not having it.

But yeah, those two guys you mention, I think are just not going to be worth the money that they will want, and I think the two guys I listed would be better FA options if we are trying to make a huge splash.
Old 12-05-2007   #162
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Old 12-05-2007   #163
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They have six picks and just had the core of the o-line decimated by injury. Color me sceptical, three of the six picks this draft may be on o-lineman.
Promise?

I wouldn't complain.

Quote:
The Texans may address their need for a speedy edge-rushing DE in Free Agency depending on what will be available and how the decide to fill out their Salary Cap.

Personally, I would love to see the Texans try and fill some of the wholes on the Defensive side with Free Agents like CB Asante Samuel, and RDE Terrell Suggs. Then they can concentrate on the Offensive side of the ball in the draft, particularly O-Line.
I'd love to add Samuel to the squad, but I think he's going to ask too much for us to be a serious option. Although with D.Rob's future uncertain, especially with regards to how he will be when he returns, a shut-down CB would be something we severely need. With Bennet on the other side, maybe Dunta becomes a safety? Just food for thought on my part.
Old 12-05-2007   #164
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Promise?

I wouldn't complain.

I'd love to add Samuel to the squad, but I think he's going to ask too much for us to be a serious option. Although with D.Rob's future uncertain, especially with regards to how he will be when he returns, a shut-down CB would be something we severely need. With Bennet on the other side, maybe Dunta becomes a safety? Just food for thought on my part.
Either way, we need to prepare for Dunta to either not be able to play or not continue at CB. We just have to see it for the worst it could be. We can't go into next season with Bennett and Von Hutchins starting.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #165
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Either way, we need to prepare for Dunta to either not be able to play or not continue at CB. We just have to see it for the worst it could be. We can't go into next season with Bennett and Von Hutchins starting.
Bennett starting I'm okay with, but Von Hutchins is definitely backup material. He's a decent tackler but he just really doesn't seem adept at putting close coverage on wideouts.
Old 12-05-2007   #166
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Bennett starting I'm okay with, but Von Hutchins is definitely backup material. He's a decent tackler but he just really doesn't seem adept at putting close coverage on wideouts.
Bennett starting is ok, but he is going to look ALOT worse if the corner on the other side can't hold his own.

The thing about D-Rob is that during most games, no matter who was starting on the other side, he held his side pretty damn well. Granted, there were games where he didn't but most of the time he did. Can Bennett do that? He is going to make his growing mistakes, and we don't have anyone to start on the other side and help him through that. If anything, they are going to make it harder on him.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-05-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2007   #167
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Bennett starting is ok, but he is going to look ALOT worse if the corner on the other side can't hold his own.

The thing about D-Rob is that during most games, no matter who was starting on the other side, he held his side pretty damn well. Granted, there were games where he didn't but most of the time he did. Can Bennett do that? He is going to make his growing mistakes, and we don't have anyone to start on the other side and help him through that. If anything, they are going to make it harder on him.
Thats not entirely true. I think not starting with Drob in the side is what is helping Bennet right now. Since he and Hutchins are complete unknowns, neither one is being particularly targeted over the other. If Drob was on the field, the other guy would be getting thrown on a bunch. Really, being the #2 corner on a team with a good/great #1 corner is a lot harder then being the #1 corner on out team right now.
Old 12-06-2007   #168
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
No way they touch that cry baby. He isnt the kind of player we go after. He will make some good plays, then he will get you a yellow hanky and 15 yards the easy way. That is one of the most undiscaplined teams I have ever seen. Granted, he has scary good talent, but not so good hes worth 15 yrd penalties because he throws a hissy fit.
You have unfairly lumped Suggs in with his teammates. It is true that he complained to reporters after the game about the officiating, so you can call him a crybaby for that if you want, but if you go back and look you will see that it was Suggs that was holding Bart Scott back after he threw the referees flag into the crowd. He was trying to calm his teammate down and prevent him from doing anything worse, as Scott was seemingly in an uncontrolled rage.
Old 12-06-2007   #169
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Samuels is trying to get paaaaiiiiiiiiiid when he leaves the Patriots. I'd rather pass on him, and get somebody like Nnamdi Asomugha (who has a player option coming up this year). After him, if we're playing fantasy free agent signings then I'd go for some talent in the OLB department with Lance Briggs who will be pricey, but I think will be well worth it. The Bears are trying desperately to get him to sign, and he's not having it.

But yeah, those two guys you mention, I think are just not going to be worth the money that they will want, and I think the two guys I listed would be better FA options if we are trying to make a huge splash.
I thought about Briggs as well. I only mentioned Samuels because he has probably the greatest name recognition of any of the available CB's. I'm not familiar with Asomugha, but if he can get the job done then I'd have no problem with him being picked up.

I'm not sure how much Suggs will get in his next contract as he is having somewhat of a down year in this, the final year of his contract.
Old 12-06-2007   #170
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Bucs head coach John Gruden:

Quote:
(on how much better Mario Williams has become)
“A lot better. He is one of the better players in football. They took a lot of heat, I guess,
for not taking somebody else, but at the end of the day they look pretty good if you ask
me for taking the big guy because he’s a heck of a football player.”
http://thecaptainsdeck.net/index.php?page=280
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #171
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Old 12-06-2007   #172
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have unfairly lumped Suggs in with his teammates. It is true that he complained to reporters after the game about the officiating, so you can call him a crybaby for that if you want, but if you go back and look you will see that it was Suggs that was holding Bart Scott back after he threw the referees flag into the crowd. He was trying to calm his teammate down and prevent him from doing anything worse, as Scott was seemingly in an uncontrolled rage.
Ive seen Suggs do some of the bone head stuff as well, Scott just blw up more recently. He has done it prior to this year, so maybe he has matured a little, but hes done that garbage befor. He was ejected from a game for bumping a ref if I remember correctly. Ill have to look into it. All I know is he has done some of that jerky stuff befor, like late hits and what not. Just my opinion, so disreguard if you want. Not saying he wouldnt make a great end opposite Mario, but whatever.
Old 12-06-2007   #173
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to see the league finally starting to acknowledge Mario, and actually saying the Texans made the better choice.

With Reggie starting to be called a bust, and Mario tied for 2nd in the AFC in sacks even ESPN is going to have to say something good about him at some point.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #174
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Thats not entirely true. I think not starting with Drob in the side is what is helping Bennet right now. Since he and Hutchins are complete unknowns, neither one is being particularly targeted over the other. If Drob was on the field, the other guy would be getting thrown on a bunch. Really, being the #2 corner on a team with a good/great #1 corner is a lot harder then being the #1 corner on out team right now.
Hutchins is not a complete unknown. Has played in the league for a few years now. He also played safety for us earlier in the season. There is plenty of game tape on him.
Old 12-06-2007   #175
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Ive seen Suggs do some of the bone head stuff as well, Scott just blw up more recently. He has done it prior to this year, so maybe he has matured a little, but hes done that garbage befor. He was ejected from a game for bumping a ref if I remember correctly. Ill have to look into it. All I know is he has done some of that jerky stuff befor, like late hits and what not. Just my opinion, so disreguard if you want. Not saying he wouldnt make a great end opposite Mario, but whatever.
Overall, from what I have seen from the guy, he doesn't do enough bone head things to worry about. I know he plays with a motor on every down. He holds the NCAA single season sack record, or wait maybe it is the NCAA career sack record.

Quote:
I thought about Briggs as well. I only mentioned Samuels because he has probably the greatest name recognition of any of the available CB's. I'm not familiar with Asomugha, but if he can get the job done then I'd have no problem with him being picked up.

I'm not sure how much Suggs will get in his next contract as he is having somewhat of a down year in this, the final year of his contract.
Asomugha is a very fast player. I think he was drafted something like 3 or 4 years ago. I think he would be a good addition for us if the Raiders decide not to pay him good money. I think he is going back to Oakland after the year.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-06-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2007   #176
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

ok... i know il take hell for this and if im honest i dont want it to happen really but.. what if we didnt resign dunta and paid samuel or asomogha this yr with his money so to speak
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #177
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
ok... i know il take hell for this and if im honest i dont want it to happen really but.. what if we didnt resign dunta and paid samuel or asomogha this yr with his money so to speak
Dunta is signed through the 2008 season and his cap hit next year is only $2.2. No need to make a decision on resigning him until you see how he recovers next season and his cap hit isn't big enough to prevent a move on Samuel or Asomougha.
Old 12-06-2007   #178
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

thats what i mean: he'll be a FA next yr so if he were healthy we would be trying to re-sign him to a big contract this off-season... but if it doesnt look like he'll play next yr, would we be better off not chancing a full recovery on the injury again and pay samuel or somebody else instead? basically i just dont want another DD situation
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #179
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Assomugha is an excellent young cover corner. The announcers last week said he'd only been thrown at 21 times this season!!! If he were on our team I would expect Bennett to get tested a lot which would result in some takeaways for us if Bennett continues to be a ballhawk for us.
Old 12-07-2007   #180
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
thats what i mean: he'll be a FA next yr so if he were healthy we would be trying to re-sign him to a big contract this off-season... but if it doesnt look like he'll play next yr, would we be better off not chancing a full recovery on the injury again and pay samuel or somebody else instead? basically i just dont want another DD situation
No he will not be a free agent next year he is signed through next year. However going after someone either in FA or the draft is a must IMO
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read