Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2007   #101
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
I remeber that play against Cleveland. At the same time, I remeber the first drive the Browns had when they doubled Mario on third and short and he broke through the double team and pulled Lewis back short of the marker. What that leads me to belive is that Mario just isn't that quick in diagnosing plays, especially runs. This, like almost all of his problems, has to do with experiance and learing curve, not talent. Now more then ever, I think we have made the right choice. Of course, its easy to say that after a 7 tackle, 2.5 sack performance, but its looking pretty smart so far.
Since the Saints game, he's looked a LOT better at diagnosing plays. Again, he wasn't able to practice half of his rookie year, when he could have gained valuable experience in picking up keys and all that. He did a very good at outside contain against VY.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #102
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't imagine any Texans fan not getting excited about the prospect of Mario being on the cusp of a double-digit sack season in his second year. Why would you go out of your way to split hairs on what counts as a "real" sack or a "gimme" sack? Numbers are numbers. They work the same way for every athlete.

If we're going to set a bar, let's not raise the bar in the middle of a campaign. Assuming Mario gets 12 sacks this year, are we really going to sit and try to find mitigating factors that detract from that number? If you want to find ways to remain unhappy about a pick you didn't initially like, well, I feel sorry for you because it essentially means you'd prefer to be unhappy.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #103
2ToneBlue
Veteran

Mario seems to be getting it down, he's bringing pressure and getting sacks. That's about all you can ask from a DE.

You can always want more, but even as a Titans fan I can see that he's doing well. He's not making mistakes and costing the team games.
2ToneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #104
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I can't imagine any Texans fan not getting excited about the prospect of Mario being on the cusp of a double-digit sack season in his second year. Why would you go out of your way to split hairs on what counts as a "real" sack or a "gimme" sack? Numbers are numbers. They work the same way for every athlete.
Good post. And for those that want to play the game of..'oh that was a gimme sack'...They must go back and watch every game of every team to subtract those 'gimme' sacks from the other defensive players in order to get a FAIR reading as to how Mario and the Others compare. It's a part of the game and Mario isn't the only one racking those up.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #105
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

A gimme sack is just like a gimme TD.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #106
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Good post. And for those that want to play the game of..'oh that was a gimme sack'...They must go back and watch every game of every team to subtract those 'gimme' sacks from the other defensive players in order to get a FAIR reading as to how Mario and the Others compare. It's a part of the game and Mario isn't the only one racking those up.
Well just like Reggie Bush gets his own statistic (Total Yards) to inflate his stats, I wouldnt be suprised to see ESPN come out with a new stat for Mario called gimme sacks just so they could deflate his stats.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #107
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited about Mario and the last few games. I hope he continues to improve. I'm just not sure why people are up in arms about "gimmee sacks." I brought it up twice and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an observation. The guy gets some good ones. Same thing happened last year. It happens. Oh well. Alot of stuff happens in the NFL like blown coverage.
Old 12-04-2007   #108
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm excited about Mario and the last few games. I hope he continues to improve. I'm just not sure why people are up in arms about "gimmee sacks." I brought it up twice and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an observation. The guy gets some good ones. Same thing happened last year. It happens. Oh well. Alot of stuff happens in the NFL like blown coverage.
Blown coverage? not on our team!
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #109
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, has Mario got any chance of making the Pro Bowl this year ?
I vote for him (and DeMeco and did D-Rob before his injury) every day or 2, but don't think either has a chance of making a trip to Honolulu this year ?
We've got to get a higher more positive profile here with the Texans before those guys, no matter how worthy, get a chance to visit Honolulu in the winter.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #110
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I vote for him (and DeMeco and did D-Rob before his injury) every day or 2, but don't think either has a chance of making a trip to Honolulu this year ?
We've got to get a higher more positive profile here with the Texans before those guys, no matter how worthy, get a chance to visit Honolulu in the winter.
He has an outside shot, but needs to keep the pace of the last few games. He is currently #2 in sacks for AFC defensive linemen.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #111
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
If fans do their homework, he has a great shot of making it to Hawaii. He's second in the AFC in sacks and a DE. However, seeing as many people think he was a bad choice, I doubt he'll get voted in. There is a chance that he could get voted in bye the coaches and players. I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-04-2007   #112
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
If fans do their homework, he has a great shot of making it to Hawaii. He's second in the AFC in sacks and a DE. However, seeing as many people think he was a bad choice, I doubt he'll get voted in. There is a chance that he could get voted in bye the coaches and players. I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong.
Do not forget espin has not said one blasted word about it and will not because they blasted the Texans for taking him.
Old 12-04-2007   #113
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Do not forget espin has not said one blasted word about it and will not because they blasted the Texans for taking him.
Agree completely, I get amused that they make excuses for Bush but nothing for Mario. Hey, at least they showed him sack Vince and reported that he had 2.5 sacks that game; remember they did not show the Texans and Saints highlights.
Old 12-04-2007   #114
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I believe they count for 2/3 of the vote, but I could be wrong.
Really ?
You mean a player who doesn't get votes by the fans could still get in with player & coach votes ? And in reverse, a guy who was voted in by fans
but who didn't receive player & coach votes might fail to be named to Pro Bowl ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #115
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Really ?
You mean a player who doesn't get votes by the fans could still get in with player & coach votes ? And in reverse, a guy who was voted in by fans
but who didn't receive player & coach votes might fail to be named to Pro Bowl ?
I think that happened to TO or Moss a couple of years ago, where the fans voted them in but the NFL alumni did not.
Old 12-04-2007   #116
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

A quick liner from an ESPN chat:

Quote:
Tim (Houston, Tx): Do you think that Mario Williams has started to figure out some things in the pro game, or is his recent succes just a flash in the pan?

Matt Williamson: (1:23 PM ET ) Not a flash. Going to be a Pro Bowl caliber DE.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18343

For those wondering, yes my name is Tim, and yes i know I'm not in Houston (but I find it easier to get chat questions answered if you say you are in the city that the team you are asking about is in) and yes work is really, really, really slow this time of year.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007   #117
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Mario has made some plays lately and is hopefully starting to turn the corner in his career. As an earlier post stated, he has a chance to make the Pro Bowl in the AFC. A pretty good chance especially if he can surpass double digit sacks and maybe another forced fumble or two. The upside is the guy is pretty bright and he seems to be learning how to read plays and has steadily improved with his play against the screen.

Everyone wants this guy to succeed. He is starting to do what it takes and his stats look pretty good.
Old 12-04-2007   #118
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
A quick liner from an ESPN chat:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18343

For those wondering, yes my name is Tim, and yes i know I'm not in Houston (but I find it easier to get chat questions answered if you say you are in the city that the team you are asking about is in) and yes work is really, really, really slow this time of year.
That right there is a freaking thing of beauty. I think a lot more people are coming around on Mario Williams being a good DE. They might still rag him for being a #1 pick, but you really can't deny that he can usually be good for some pressure and a sack or two in a given game.

Right pick or not, I think for the Texans, he is the one who is performing best, out of the top 5 that were picked in '06.
Old 12-04-2007   #119
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

As an aside, the NFL Defensive players of the week nominees are up, and Jovian Haye (J. Haye 2-0 1.0 0 1) got nominated over Williams (M. Williams 3-4 2.5 0 0). What do you guys think?
Old 12-04-2007   #120
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
As an aside, the NFL Defensive players of the week nominees are up, and Jovian Haye (J. Haye 2-0 1.0 0 1) got nominated over Williams (M. Williams 3-4 2.5 0 0). What do you guys think?
Robbed.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read