Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2007   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Impact of losing Dunta.

As I don't get to see a lot of the Texans games (only see the highlights) I want some comment on whether the loss of Dunta has made much of an impact on our defense.

From what I can glean Bennett and Hutchins are playing well, Demps and Brown also seem to be getting less criticism, does this mean that the loss of Dunta was not the huge blow that some expected??

Sub-question: Does this mean that we can afford not to look for a CB in the draft/free agency this offseason?

Sub-sub-question: Does this mean that we can afford not to look for a S in the draft/free agency this offseason?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Impact of losing Dunta.

I don't think the defensive backfield is such an urgent need as many others do. The emergence of Bennett and Hutchins and the addition of Demps are the main reasons why. I'm not going to trivialize the loss of Dunta because it is going to hurt any team when they lose their best player, but I think that Bennett and Hutchins could easily suffice as starting CBs. It certainly wouldn't hurt for us to grab a CB for depth in the later rounds but I definitely don't think it is a pressing need.

Regarding safety, I think Demps has solidified himself as a starting safety for the forseeable future. Brown has also played some nice games this year. But, as I've said before, I don't think our defensive system calls for ball-hawking Safeties. Our team has passed on several opportunities to add a ball-hawking safety to our defensive backfield and, until they do, I will stick by my opinion that it is not in their vision.

Our defensive secondary certainly could use some improvement, and maybe there is something there that I am not seeing, but I am just of the opinion that our offensive line and RB are much more desperate needs for our team.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
As I don't get to see a lot of the Texans games (only see the highlights) I want some comment on whether the loss of Dunta has made much of an impact on our defense.

From what I can glean Bennett and Hutchins are playing well, Demps and Brown also seem to be getting less criticism, does this mean that the loss of Dunta was not the huge blow that some expected??

Sub-question: Does this mean that we can afford not to look for a CB in the draft/free agency this offseason?

Sub-sub-question: Does this mean that we can afford not to look for a S in the draft/free agency this offseason?
Losing Dunta hurts....bad.

Not starting Faggins helps....a lot.

Seems to me we're about where we started overall with Dunta and Faggins in terms of coverage, but we're still missing those bone-jarring hits by D-Rob.

If we had Dunta back healthy and a really competent new CB, you'd see a serious, positive difference. I can't say that Bennett or Hutchins aren't it, though. Maybe they just need experience, or maybe we need to draft a stud corner. That part I'm not sure about.

I'm impressed enough with Hutchins and Bennett (and Demps) that I agree about needing O-line/RB more than secondary help at this point. Actually, that's impressive, because I've probably been one of the most adamant about the secondary.

Draft offense when our D is stinking right now? Yeah, because a lot of our D just needs more experience. Our offensive problems are not going to get better with experience. Ron Dayne will not get faster, Green will not get more durable, and most of our O-linemen will not get better with age.

Last edited by HJam72; 12-03-2007 at 07:04 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Whether Dunta is playing or not, our defensive secondary ranks in the lower half of the league. We need to do something about that in the off season.

But, frankly, I haven't seen as big a drop off in the play of the secondary as I would have thought.

Yall can proceed to beat me up now. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Whether Dunta is playing or not, our defensive secondary ranks in the lower half of the league. We need to do something about that in the off season.

But, frankly, I haven't seen as big a drop off in the play of the secondary as I would have thought.

Yall can proceed to beat me up now. LOL
No, I think you're right; and I think it's because Faggins got benched around the same time. Try as he might, he's not a starter. We lost our biggest strength in the secondary and got rid of our biggest weakness around the same time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

losing dunta definitely hurts, but it's not making a lot of headlines because bennett has really stepped in and made an impact.

1. that depends on dunta's recovery from such a nasty injury. if dunta comes back, i think cb is an area that along with bennett will be a strength on this team.

2. safety still looks poor to me. we're still in need of a ball-hawking free safety, but are loaded with adequate strong safeties and plenty of depth.

again depending on dunta's health, we're only one player away in the secondary so i'd definitely look towards free agency for a playmaking safety.
Old 12-03-2007   #7
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
...but I am just of the opinion that our offensive line and RB are much more desperate needs for our team.
I agree with you that we need to focus on the offensive line and RB position. But, my reasoning simply has to do with the investment in Schaub and that he could probably make very good use of those tools.

However, the defensive secondary is lacking talent. Probably the main reason they are not exploited more is that the Texans are 25th in rushing defense and they play a very soft zone all the times. The Texans defensive scheme is very simple, don't give up a big play.

Losing Dunta is huge. Depending if he returns and at what level will have a serious impact on the defense.

The Texans have a lot holes, losing a star player really just makes matters worse.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2007   #8
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

It actually isn't much worse than it was with Dunta in the line up. We couldn't stop anyone on third down/clutch situations then, and we can't do so now either. Don't get me wrong, having Dunta back would help...but things aren't much more horrible than they were.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

We got burned by VY (2 passing TD's) and one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL. Yes, we still need a better secondary! Fortunately for us, this draft is deep at the CB position and we should find a pretty good one in the 3rd or 4th round if we go O-line or RB in the 1st.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
No, I think you're right; and I think it's because Faggins got benched around the same time. Try as he might, he's not a starter. We lost our biggest strength in the secondary and got rid of our biggest weakness around the same time.
I think this is pretty accurate. We were playing VY last week. Just wait till we play the Colts again, that's a good time to judge it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #11
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Bennett starting over Faggins is the right move.

I think the defensive scheme is more to blame than any one person. We can't allow the QB to stand in the pocket with all the time in the world.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read