Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-03-2007   #81
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Mario has more sacks than any other second (or first) year player in the NFL. Therefore, he was the best player available at the position of need that the Texans were trying to fill (pass rusher).
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #82
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said before I thought Mario was the right pick. He wasn't the "sexy" pic.. then again if we have people asking for pic's of his sack...

Mike

wow, I shouldn't have gone there.

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #83
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.
I remeber that play against Cleveland. At the same time, I remeber the first drive the Browns had when they doubled Mario on third and short and he broke through the double team and pulled Lewis back short of the marker. What that leads me to belive is that Mario just isn't that quick in diagnosing plays, especially runs. This, like almost all of his problems, has to do with experiance and learing curve, not talent. Now more then ever, I think we have made the right choice. Of course, its easy to say that after a 7 tackle, 2.5 sack performance, but its looking pretty smart so far.
Old 12-03-2007   #84
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I always bring up that point to my friends and they just blow it off. He was a true Junior and younger than mostly everyone coming out that year.
He was the youngest player in the draft. Combined with Okoye, and its no joke when we say we have a YOUNG D-line.
Old 12-03-2007   #85
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

I think a lot of defensive ends thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?
Well, umm, tackle and defensive end are quite inextricably linked. More then any other position comparison, tackle vs end is an individual battle for almost the entire game. (Corners have safties, pass rush, etc.) Most positions have complicating factors, but apart from the David Carrs or Peyton Mannings of the world at Qb, the guy across from you dictates how hard your day is going to be. Since Mario has basically been the pass rush this year (and a pretty strong candidate for our best player, defensive or otherwise), while D'Brick has been abused on a number of ocassions, I think that agument has a pretty decisive edge in #90's favour.
In regards to what is more important, a great tackle or great defensive end, I would say it depends on your team and division. We have Peyton Manning and a history of two-minute drill nightmares working against us. I would say for us, Mario at his potential best is a proposition that is hard to pass up for anyone else in the 06 draft.
Old 12-03-2007   #86
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
Mario and Ron both had great games today. I hope a lot of people give both of them credit, because they have been playing good since we came off our bye week. Ron has shown that he has heart and continues to prove the majority of us wrong, including myself. In no way am I saying he's the answer, but he has played very hard the past two years when it starts to get cold.
Now I can feel fine going into a season with Dayne as the started, IF we get someone with speed and explosiveness. Dayne is dependable enough, but we need a recieving threat and a guy who can hit a home run. Oh, and a playcaller who feeds a back when he is running well...
Old 12-03-2007   #87
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Good game today but this is reminding me of his college career. Big numbers in a few games and disappearing and nowhere in sight for a majority of games. There is the rub for me. I want to see todays intensity every game. But today he looked good. I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee
Old 12-03-2007   #88
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or does Dayne get tripped up awefully easy for a heavy RB? I never see his legs break an arm tackle. Is he leaning forward too much?

Seems like the main reason he never gets any really big runs (at least for his speed anyway) is because it just takes one cornerback's (or whoever) arm to hit one of his ankles and he's goin' down. Granted, he ALWAYS falls forward, but where's those powerful strides? Bad balance? NO balance?

Anyway, he's doing better than I thought he would overall.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #89
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Good game today but this is reminding me of his college career. Big numbers in a few games and disappearing and nowhere in sight for a majority of games. There is the rub for me. I want to see todays intensity every game. But today he looked good. I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee

The NFL isn't the same as golf. You are actually playing against an entire team each week. Each team has different tendencies, game plans, philosophies, and players. It's impossible for a player to produce consistant numbers. Look at guys like Dwight Freeney: he gets 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles one game, and the next game goes without a tackle... his intensity hasn't changed but the team he's playing has.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #90
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The NFL isn't the same as golf. You are actually playing against an entire team each week. Each team has different tendencies, game plans, philosophies, and players. It's impossible for a player to produce consistant numbers. Look at guys like Dwight Freeney: he gets 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles one game, and the next game goes without a tackle... his intensity hasn't changed but the team he's playing has.
I'm not saying he has to put up those numbers. I'm talking about intensity and moves, etc. I've seen him come out of his shell a couple of games this year and I've seen him be non-existent some games. That is all I want. That same intensity. But I like what I'm seeing lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
All pass rushers get freebies from time to time over the course of their careers or even a single season. Ever see that sack that Farve actually "gave" Strahan several years ago that let Stahan set an NFL record ?
Mario has played very well in 2 of the last 3 games. I dunno maybe its just playing against VY or Bush gets his competitive juices flowing, maybe just a coincidence they were in his best games of the season ? But lets see if this is a pattern that holds over the last 4 games of the season.
But I'm real pleased from what we are seeing in Mario right now !
I know, thus the smile.
Old 12-03-2007   #91
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee
All pass rushers get freebies from time to time over the course of their careers or even a single season. Ever see that sack that Farve actually "gave" Strahan several years ago that let Stahan set an NFL record ?
Mario has played very well in 2 of the last 3 games. I dunno maybe its just playing against VY or Bush gets his competitive juices flowing, maybe just a coincidence they were in his best games of the season ? But lets see if this is a pattern that holds over the last 4 games of the season.
But I'm real pleased from what we are seeing in Mario right now !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #92
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stats aside, there is an overall game to consider.

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.
Well the thing is that you would not really be plugging in Dbrick for Salaam. Technically, you would be plugging him in for Spencer, and instead of a 3rd rounder getting his leg broken, you are potentially looking at a 1st overall pick out for 2 seasons, and to add insult to injury 8.5 less sacks this season.

They made the right picks IMO, our team just has the worst luck ever, when it comes to injury.

Now back to the thread, this is Mario's 3rd straight good game. It looks like the light really has turned on, and I don't really know why there isn't more excitement about it. This is what we have all been waiting for.

One point that I havent seen on here about the "gimmie" sack is that while Mario was not blocked he didn't bite on the play fake and stayed at home which did not allow VY to run open down field. I thought it was a much better play than just a free sack. Mario is growing up and that is one of many plays where it is showing.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #93
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jared Allen is the ONLY Defensive End in the AFC that has more sacks than Mario.

Pro Bowl is not out of the question this year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #94
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation The FIRST Texans to hit double digit sacks!

Super Mario!..............I think he has 9 & a half right now with 4 games to go.
Old 12-03-2007   #95
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
Super Mario!..............I think he has 9 & a half right now with 4 games to go.
8.5 sacks
Old 12-03-2007   #96
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Dang!...........still needs 1 & a half.
Old 12-03-2007   #97
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I was originally big in the camp of drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson (and every other big LT prospect since our inception) and considering the horrible horrible state our pass protection has been, I don't back down from that.

Mario Williams is awesome either way.
Old 12-03-2007   #98
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Well the thing is that you would not really be plugging in Dbrick for Salaam. Technically, you would be plugging him in for Spencer, and instead of a 3rd rounder getting his leg broken, you are potentially looking at a 1st overall pick out for 2 seasons, and to add insult to injury 8.5 less sacks this season.

They made the right picks IMO, our team just has the worst luck ever, when it comes to injury.

Now back to the thread, this is Mario's 3rd straight good game. It looks like the light really has turned on, and I don't really know why there isn't more excitement about it. This is what we have all been waiting for.

One point that I havent seen on here about the "gimmie" sack is that while Mario was not blocked he didn't bite on the play fake and stayed at home which did not allow VY to run open down field. I thought it was a much better play than just a free sack. Mario is growing up and that is one of many plays where it is showing.
Good call. I t was a naked boot, and Mario stayed at home to make the play. And Vince didnt want any part of #90
Old 12-03-2007   #99
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Jared Allen is the ONLY Defensive End in the AFC that has more sacks than Mario.

Pro Bowl is not out of the question this year.
QFT

He is also tied for 5th among AFC DEs with 40 tackles and has two FF and a TD. He is definitely still in the mix. Everybody needs to get to voting.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #100
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Is it just me, or does Dayne get tripped up awefully easy for a heavy RB? I never see his legs break an arm tackle. Is he leaning forward too much?

Seems like the main reason he never gets any really big runs (at least for his speed anyway) is because it just takes one cornerback's (or whoever) arm to hit one of his ankles and he's goin' down. Granted, he ALWAYS falls forward, but where's those powerful strides? Bad balance? NO balance?

Anyway, he's doing better than I thought he would overall.
I was thinking this same thing while watching the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read