Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #61
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

I don't know what has happened to a certain Player that mario was compared to coming out of college, but mario is having a better season statwise so far..I think Peppers will get it going again(he has proven himself), I just hope mario can continue to grow and become a consistant force
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #62
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 413 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.
I find that argument highly questionable. Our team has 19 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of those, take away Mario and you nearly half our entire team's sack total. Salaam has hardly been good as our LT, but Ferguson hasn't been spectacular in comparison, IMO.

By the way..... Weaver has yet to record a sack this year. He had 1 last year. Plug Ferguson in for Salaam and give up a couple less sacks on the year so far. Plug in Weaver for Mario and cut our already meager pass rush production in half.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #63
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
By the way..... Weaver has yet to record a sack this year. He had 1 last year. Plug Ferguson in for Salaam and give up a couple less sacks on the year so far. Plug in Weaver for Mario and cut our already meager pass rush production in half.

Stats aside, there is an overall game to consider.

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.
Old 12-02-2007   #64
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

jets arent exactly running wild either
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #65
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
first off-thats even a push.... and its a terrible reason to draft a player and pay him alot of money- BPA remember?
Wow, thanks for the reminder, but I have some questiuons:

1) Was the BPA Mario?

1.a) Is the BPA debatable or a known, proven fact that it was Mario?

1.b) Best player where - at the combine or on the field?

2) Wasn't Demeco better than Mario last year...and this year?

2.a) So wouldn't Demeco be the BPA?

2.b) If Demeco was better, couldn't someone else have been?

3) I think it was terrible reason to draft a player #1 because he is a workout warrior, although he fooled me at the time too.

4) Is drafting the BPA an ironclad rule anyway?
Old 12-02-2007   #66
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.
I thought Mario does well against the run ... except when he takes himself out of a play .

DBrick is just Ok at this point .

SI said Addai was the best out of that class .
Old 12-02-2007   #67
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I thought Mario does well against the run ... except when he takes himself out of a play .

DBrick is just Ok at this point .

SI said Addai was the best out of that class .
I don't think the first point is true on a very consistent basis, but that's just IMO.

Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. At some point the Texans have to groom some young o-lineman* because what they have on the downside of their careers and not very good. He'd have been a great start.

Thirdly, either we didn't in fact take the BPA or SI hates the Texans too.

*At least it appears they need to fix the o-line; they haven't done it yet so maybe it really has been fine all these years.
Old 12-02-2007   #68
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

well yeah mario has played better than d'brick from what ive seen and others have also said.. although everything is debatable, most would say mario is the BPA over d'brick (of the expected top 4 players) right now

you said we shouldve taken D'brick because weaver is better than salaam (is that a fact or debatable?? you know if you want me to get all philosophical aswell) and (imo) because you hadnt seen d'brick play much and hadn't heard about his struggles so far
Old 12-02-2007   #69
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. .
again, is that debatable or a known, proven fact?
Old 12-02-2007   #70
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think the first point is true on a very consistent basis, but that's just IMO.

Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. At some point the Texans have to groom some young o-lineman* because what they have on the downside of their careers and not very good. He'd have been a great start.

Thirdly, either we didn't in fact take the BPA or SI hates the Texans too.

*At least it appears they need to fix the o-line; they haven't done it yet so maybe it really has been fine all these years.
I think we do need young prospects for the OL . I think we need some maulers because we play the Titans and Jaguars two times each year .
Old 12-02-2007   #71
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy this thread really went to crap.

Can anybody honestly say at this point, that D'Brick is a better player than Mario?
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #72
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
again, is that debatable or a known, proven fact?
It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

I think a lot of defensive ends thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?
Old 12-02-2007   #73
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally am very excited about Williams. He really is looking better and better as the year has gone on. I believe that he has turned on that proverbial light switch.

Now if we can get an OLB that can rush the passer.......

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #74
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Boy this thread really went to crap.

Can anybody honestly say at this point, that D'Brick is a better player than Mario?
People can give their opinion. I think that's what the board is for, but let's stick with the facts.

Mario is a Texan. D'Brickashaw isn't a Texan.

Now that the facts have been stated, should the thread be locked?
Old 12-02-2007   #75
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

I think a lot of defensive ends thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?
i agree lt is a difficult position bit i actually think DE's have it tougher- they get gameplanned for, nevermind the fact that just trying to get by somebody in 3 seconds is alot harder to do than to stop somebody for 3 seconds.. you can help out an ot with a te and rb if needs be etc

plus an ot knows his assignment before most snaps- a de has to read and react more
Old 12-02-2007   #76
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

Now if we can get an OLB that can rush the passer.......
in fairness i know we dont have great olb's but i think that shows our lack of blitzing.. and when we do blitz it seems to be demeco that gets the call (he is a fine blitzer though)
Old 12-02-2007   #77
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Lets not forget that Mario doesn't play just one position. Since he's been here he's played every position on the DL and has even been stood up a few times like an OLB.
Old 12-02-2007   #78
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the reminder, but I have some questiuons:

1) Was the BPA Mario?

1.a) Is the BPA debatable or a known, proven fact that it was Mario?

1.b) Best player where - at the combine or on the field?

2) Wasn't Demeco better than Mario last year...and this year?

2.a) So wouldn't Demeco be the BPA?

2.b) If Demeco was better, couldn't someone else have been?

3) I think it was terrible reason to draft a player #1 because he is a workout warrior, although he fooled me at the time too.

4) Is drafting the BPA an ironclad rule anyway?
Is it debatable that your questions are retrospective, or is it a proven fact?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #79
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Is it debatable that your questions are retrospective, or is it a proven fact?
I don't know. I've pretty much lost track of what I was talking about.
Old 12-02-2007   #80
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 413 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

From my own viewing I think Mario plays well against the run when he recognizes the play and doesn't run himself out of it. He can definitely get better, and judging from what I've seen so far he will continue to get better. As far as blocking him with a tight end goes.... he has the fourth highest sack total in the AFC, maybe they should think of some different ways to go about blocking him.

So with Ferguson, maybe he gives us a little more in the ground game. We give up half of our pass rush. Overall game considered, I just don't see a net gain from Ferguson over Mario.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read