Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #41
CT CSTM
Rookie

Rep Power: 69 CT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
My fear is that all the VY love in Houston and the semi-hate for Williams could drive him out of town.

Mario likes living here in Houston, he likes the stadium and the coaching staff. When he's out and about people have shown him nothing but love, we were out one night and people were very nice to him. We were just out trying to unwind and relax and he kept getting hit up for pictures and autographs and he was always nice and smiled and obliged each and every fan. We were coming out of one place one evening and a big group of guys came up and each one had to take a picture with him, got down to the last guy and the "ring leader" said,,,"mario, don't take a picture with this guy, he loves VY and couldn't stand that they picked you",,,what does MW do? He smiles real big, grabs the dude around the neck, pulls him to his side, smiles real big and says"Snap the picture!",,,the guy gave him a big high five and they all walked off laughing and cheering mario,,,the only "hate" he feels is from several local houston talk show personalities and some fans that call in about him,,,If he keeps playing like he's playing, by the time his contract is up there will be nothing but love for him and all of this VY,RB and MW issue will be nothing!
Old 12-02-2007   #42
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT CSTM View Post
Mario likes living here in Houston, he likes the stadium and the coaching staff. When he's out and about people have shown him nothing but love, we were out one night and people were very nice to him. We were just out trying to unwind and relax and he kept getting hit up for pictures and autographs and he was always nice and smiled and obliged each and every fan. We were coming out of one place one evening and a big group of guys came up and each one had to take a picture with him, got down to the last guy and the "ring leader" said,,,"mario, don't take a picture with this guy, he loves VY and couldn't stand that they picked you",,,what does MW do? He smiles real big, grabs the dude around the neck, pulls him to his side, smiles real big and says"Snap the picture!",,,the guy gave him a big high five and they all walked off laughing and cheering mario,,,the only "hate" he feels is from several local houston talk show personalities and some fans that call in about him,,,If he keeps playing like he's playing, by the time his contract is up there will be nothing but love for him and all of this VY,RB and MW issue will be nothing!
That makes me feel a lot better, thank you. I really hope that he decides to stay a Texan and show the NFL why he is the #1 pick. I'm glad that Mario is happy to be in Houston.
Old 12-02-2007   #43
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Like I said he deserves some praise and some bad mouthing but lets be fair about it and not be critical of only one player.
Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.
Old 12-02-2007   #44
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.
I critique the O-Line seperately from the D-Line and Mario. Which is my point, you criticize the O-Line and Mario but not the D-Line.
Old 12-02-2007   #45
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm curious, who would you have picked instead? And don't say "I would have traded down". They tried that, no one bit. So, assuming they didn't lie about trying to trade the #1 for multiple 3rd or 4th rounders, who would you have chosen as the #1 overall pick in 2006. Vince? Reggie? Joseph Addai?

I can't wait to hear this revisionist history.
Old 12-02-2007   #46
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess what!? SportsCenter just showed the Titans/Texans highlights. And the first play they showed was Mario running Vince down from behind.

Mario getting dap from ESPN! Its a sign of the Apocalypse I tell you!
Old 12-02-2007   #47
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm curious, who would you have picked instead? And don't say "I would have traded down". They tried that, no one bit. So, assuming they didn't lie about trying to trade the #1 for multiple 3rd or 4th rounders, who would you have chosen as the #1 overall pick in 2006. Vince? Reggie? Joseph Addai?

I can't wait to hear this revisionist history.
You're going to love this then. I felt strongly they should pick Mario Williams. Actually, I did prefer trade down but knew that was improbable - first overall picks are seldom worth it.

I'd have been happy with Bush. I didn't want Vince under any circumstances.

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE.

The difference is that I'm not letting my initial opinion color all my future observations. I'm also not overestimating his impact just because he's a Texan. I'm willing to admit my mistake and change my opinion based on new evidence. That way I didn't have to rely on those phantom double team explanations in year one, and the "he had 1 tackle and no sacks, but he domminated the line" reasoning of early this year.
Old 12-02-2007   #48
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I critique the O-Line seperately from the D-Line and Mario. Which is my point, you criticize the O-Line and Mario but not the D-Line.
So since I don't criticize other players on the d-line* I'm wrong about Mario?

Oops - check my posts on Weaver; there goes that theory.
Old 12-02-2007   #49
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at..
no the guys that go 'LOOK THEY RAN THAT PLAY RIGHT AT MARIO! HES A BUST!'.. and i think vinny and others are very good posters but everyone can see he/they has a thing for Vince (or other agendas) and are biased against mario in some of their posts--- they show a noticeable lack of posts when mario has a good game

and mario is only in his second yr and has shown a continuous improvement and work ethic/attitude... hes had 3/4 excellent/dominating games out of 12 this yr with many other decent/good performances so far compared to 0 in all of last yr and a couple where hes gone missing (growing pains)

undoubtedly hes our best lineman followed by tj.. and i think hed look even better than now if he had either/both decent secondary or decent bookend opposite him

Quote:
You're going to love this then. I felt strongly they should pick Mario Williams. Actually, I did prefer trade down but knew that was improbable - first overall picks are seldom worth it.

I'd have been happy with Bush. I didn't want Vince under any circumstances.

In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE.
not picking on you- just these were the posts i wanted to really respond to

not from what ive seen of him (and i was on his bandwagon).. and weaver sucks as a 4-3 DE so thats not a good reason to pick hawk (although his own play is enough!).. that was the mistake- we shouldve used that money somewhere else
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #50
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In hindsight, I'd take D'Brickashaw or A.J. Hawk. At least they play at a higher level consistently. Hawk and Demeco - not a bad linebacking duo, and they'd still have Weaver at SDE..

Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #51
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Mario appears to be the only one consistently turning in solid performances this year while Reggie and Vince have sort of regressed from year 1 to year 2.
Old 12-02-2007   #52
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Mario appears to be the only one consistently turning in solid performances this year while Reggie and Vince have sort of regressed from year 1 to year 2.
Well QB is a difficult position to transition from a college shotgun offense to an NFL QB.

And decoy really isnt a position at all.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #53
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.
D'Brick has given up something like 22 sacks since he has been in the league.

Remember guys, Mario is a full year younger than Hawk and D'Brick (and two years younger than Young). Heck he is still 22 years old, younger than a lot of DE prospects in this upcoming draft.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #54
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
D'Brick has given up something like 22 sacks since he has been in the league.

Remember guys, Mario is a full year younger than Hawk and D'Brick (and two years younger than Young). Heck he is still 22 years old, younger than a lot of DE prospects in this upcoming draft.
I always bring up that point to my friends and they just blow it off. He was a true Junior and younger than mostly everyone coming out that year.
Old 12-02-2007   #55
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

For those that have been asking about where Mario's help is, remember Okoye is a kid. You had to expect him to get worn down by mid-season. Next year he will come back stronger, tougher and more durable.

TJ is showing flashes of why he was a first round pick, a huge improvement from previous seasons.

Weaver, well he is rubbish when it comes to getting pressure, no arguments there.

I think we are building a really good unit with good depth, one piece is missing though and that is the complementary end.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #56
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
For those that have been asking about where Mario's help is, remember Okoye is a kid. You had to expect him to get worn down by mid-season. Next year he will come back stronger, tougher and more durable.

TJ is showing flashes of why he was a first round pick, a huge improvement from previous seasons.

Weaver, well he is rubbish when it comes to getting pressure, no arguments there.

I think we are building a really good unit with good depth, one piece is missing though and that is the complementary end.
sadly mario and Okoye have 8.5 and 5 sacks together..(maddox and Kalu with 3 totaled between them) and that is it for the d-line... Ryans has our other 2
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #57
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.
Old 12-02-2007   #58
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario was the right pick! He's just going to continue to get better and better. He's here for the long haul, every game, every D play!

Nice game today Mario!

Old 12-02-2007   #59
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
And decoy really isnt a position at all.
Good one!!!!!
Old 12-02-2007   #60
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.
first off-thats even a push.... and its a terrible reason to draft a player and pay him alot of money- BPA remember?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read