Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #21
austintexanite
All Pro

Default Re: Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller View Post
He was the only bright spot today......
Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
The running game was very effective again. Bennet seems to be holding his own at corner against the other team's #1. AJ seems to be healthy, and most of the pressure on Sage came from the middle and the left, meaning Winston is doing well at RT. If JJ had held on, we had a great chance to win. "If only" is hard to take and doesn't really get you anywhere, but this team is getting better. It won't be this season, but we will be heard from in the AFC South IF we make good personel decisions (players and new coaches) this offseason.
Mario and Ron both had great games today. I hope a lot of people give both of them credit, because they have been playing good since we came off our bye week. Ron has shown that he has heart and continues to prove the majority of us wrong, including myself. In no way am I saying he's the answer, but he has played very hard the past two years when it starts to get cold.
Old 12-02-2007   #22
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5
Thank God, now I can forget Jeff Posey's name.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #23
SA Texan
Veteran

Williams had a great game today and he's had a very good season...he was one of the few bright spots out there today. It's good to see him healthy and playing like he's capable of.
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #24
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is Vinny, Second honeymoon and Apple and a few others that would not say anything nice about his play where are they now.

I defended him a few times and got plastered yet when he has a good game those same individuals who trash him when he has some bad plays are no where to be seen.

If you are going to trash any player who has a bad game, when he has a good game you need to suck it up and say he played well. That is for any player. Be objective.

P.S. Dream i know the titans won but put that in your pipe and smoke it or stick it I could careless which.
Old 12-02-2007   #25
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is playing very well. The only knock I have on him is that I'd like to see him try to bullrush the tackle more rather than trying to juke him. The guy is progressing though. Amobi seems to be in a rookie funk. We still need a RE who can pass rush.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #26
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

congrats mario, I hope this is for bigger and better things!!

i think some forget he was a true junior instead of redshirted.. and I hope this season he can continue to build and stay consistant!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #27
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Where is Vinny, Second honeymoon and Apple and a few others that would not say anything nice about his play where are they now.
You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at.

When he plays well consistently, and I don't mean he has to have multiple sacks a game but just have real impact on the opposing offense, then the level rises. Until then, nice game.
Old 12-02-2007   #28
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
You mean the people who didn't give him unmitigated praise when he was playing poorly?

OK. He has had two good games in a row. If he finishes out the season playing this well, he'll get up to average. Yippee!

He's kind of a microcosm of the Texans. He's had a couple of good games and so it is great expectations time - like when the Texans beat New Orleans two weeks ago. The problem is, these exceptional games aren't the realistic level. The usual performance, not the exception, is where he's at.

When he plays well consistently, and I don't mean he has to have multiple sacks a game but just have real impact on the opposing offense, then the level rises. Until then, nice game.
Yes, Reggie White level is what we expect from Mario every single game!!!! There's no room for mediocrity in a sophmore year.

Seriously man, he has had a positive impact in every game this year. Some of you posters kill me with your expectations...a record setting year for Mario and you arn't impressed with his progress???!!!!! My gosh man, has anyone here ever played defensive lineman?
Old 12-02-2007   #29
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

I never gave him unmitigated praise but he was the focal point of lashing out. How about trashing more deservidly bad play of others. He has been the most consistant player along the D-Line, of course that is not saying much but to critique his play above all others no matter of draft status or of whom we have signed as a free agent. Weaver has played the worst among any player along the D-Line and he deserves more criticsm than anyone but they only point to Mario.

Like I said he deserves some praise and some bad mouthing but lets be fair about it and not be critical of only one player.

A couple is two last I checked my referance manual and that is not true.
Old 12-02-2007   #30
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

I defended him a few times and got plastered yet when he has a good game those same individuals who trash him when he has some bad plays are no where to be seen.

If you are going to trash any player who has a bad game, when he has a good game you need to suck it up and say he played well. That is for any player. Be objective.

P.S. Dream i know the titans won but put that in your pipe and smoke it or stick it I could careless which.
Mario's been good, but he's also put up most of his numbers against
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Maybe he'll start getting sacks against real linemen instead of getting shut out by someone better than mediocre starters.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #31
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The first sack he got was a good job pass rushing. That was probably my favorite sack he has made thus far.

The second sack was funny because I guess Vince Young was trying to be safe so he fell down instead of ran for it. Maybe he was trying to avoid the chance of fumbling? I thought that was kind of funny. It was still a good job by Mario because I think he was also in position to bat it down had VY tried to throw it.

He looks like he is playing with more hustle right now. Maybe he is just understanding things, but he just looks more active against the pass than he was earlier in the season.

He and DeMeco need to pick these guys up and start stopping the run more consistantly. It seems like we can be a pretty stout defense at times, yet we still have that inconsistancy. We really need to bring another linebacker in here IMO. It's starting to become a larger and larger need in my eyes.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-02-2007 at 05:43 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #32
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Maybe he'll start getting sacks against real linemen instead of getting shut out by someone better than mediocre starters.
Sure the Chargers, Titans, Panthers, Jaguars, Colts, Raiders, Saints and Dolphins are a bunch of scrubs at LT.

Signed,
Mr. Unrealistic Expectations Hater for a guy who has set a record for Texan sacks in his sophmore year in only 12 games.....against scrubs apparently....
Old 12-02-2007   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

sounds like the song of someone still longing for Reggie Bush.

Oh and show me the links that prove who was in the game when Mario got his sacks. If you can't/won't do that, you sound a lot like someone who wanted RB or VY.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #34
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is playing much better this year than last - being healthy makes a big difference in a players performance. So does getting some NFL experience under your belt. And I think him breaking the Texans annual sack record is worthy of some praise. OK, he got a gimme on the second full sack, but over the course of a season it kinda evens out as they say.
The thing that's interesting to me is that many are saying that Mario is really more of a run-stopper than an edge rusher, all the time while he is edging closer to a double-digit sack season in just his second year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #35
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Air
2. Back up scrubs

Good point, reminds me of how Freeney, Strahan, J. Taylor, and Peppers only get sacks against premier tackles. It's not like every DE gets sacks from protection problems, or against less than pro-bowl quality linemen, just Mario.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him? If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #36
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.
I agree with this part of your post.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #37
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.
Preach on my man! Well said.
Old 12-02-2007   #38
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good point, reminds me of how Freeney, Strahan, J. Taylor, and Peppers only get sacks against premier tackles. It's not like every DE gets sacks from protection problems, or against less than pro-bowl quality linemen, just Mario.

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him? If Mario had gotten juked out of his shoes people would be on here punking him for missing an "easy sack", but since he got him they're out here punking him because it was too easy. Guy can't win with some people. There are a lot of folks who like to point it out when Mario doesn't show up in the stat line, I think they're out of town on weeks when he does.
rep for you, exactly what I was thinking.

I couldn't imagine what the dvr people would do if they saw mario untouched and couldn't get to VY ...

so with the poor lineman the Texans have had along with Carr at Qb should we put an * next to their stats while going against the Texans?

Air comment, that isn't Mario's fault, that is the Titans fault for not accounting for him and putting a hat on him.

or should we put an * by VY's stats for that TD though with the blown coverage being Williams was wide open and VY throws well to WR's when noone is covering them?

(for the record , nice recognition by Vince on that horrible coverage)
Old 12-02-2007   #39
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:

Seriously, the level of talent in the NFL is at a point where you hardly ever go against a cup cake. If Mario beats a back-up or gets into the backfield untouched, he still has to bring down Mr. Elusiveness-in-the-pocket himself, who, by the way, took one look at Mario bearing down on him for his second sack and collapsed Carr style without even attempting to evade him. Not a very Vince-like thing to do, wonder if it had anything to do with who he saw bearing down on him?.
I think that play would even make Favre and Strahan smile
Old 12-02-2007   #40
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:

My point exactly!! Well said.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read