Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: another season down the drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
That's right - get back to the level of the best David Carr team! That team may have been 9-7 or so if they had an average quarterback instead of Carr. That is a sobering thought when the current team, its talent level, and its record is being considered.

Don't equate David Carr with the success of the 2004 team. We had a better defense than we do now; the best DBs in the conference with Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman PLUS a rookie named Dunta Robinson. LBs Jamie Sharper and Kailee Wong were solid and our front three were decent. If I'm not mistaken, that D was in the top 5 or 10 in producing turnovers.

That was also Domanick Davis' last really productive year and had the bulldozer Jonathan Wells to come in and punish people when Davis went out.

Then Casserly went and dismantled the damned thing with his "no players over 30" B/S.

Don't remind me of how far down the road we SHOULD be if we hadn't had to basically start over
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #22
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Have you ever heard of NO salary cap for coaches?

My entire point rests upon the word "AND" that I placed between the words "players" and "coaches."

It doesn't take good players.

It doesn't take good coaches.

It does, however, take BOTH. It's my opinion that we are lacking both.

I am not dense. I know we have been a casualty of the cap for PLAYERS. But the owner can spend a zillion dollars for coaches with no penalty/cap. And, for the UP-TEENTH time...the hiring of Richard Smith reeks of penny pinching.

Maybe you should slow down and re-read before you reply.
I think maybe you are the one that needs to slow down.

Now, I myself have criticized McNair for some of decisions he's made, but I don't have any basis whatsover to state that he's not spending whatever it takes to make the team a winner.

And neither do you. Money is only one of many factors that prospective coaches take into account when they decide what team they go to. You need to back that "penny pinching" accusation up with a lot more than just repeatedly pulling it out of your ass.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans were put in a hole by bad drafting , bad free agent signings , bad coaching , and not noticing any of these things for years .

Now the new guys are trying to clean up the mess . This means Daniels ( 2nd year player ) is put in a position to make mistakes . Same thing with Jacoby , Winston , and so on . This team is young and the vets they do have are'nt that good .
Old 12-02-2007   #24
big homey
Veteran

Our remaining games are Tampa Bay, Denver, Indy, and Jax. All are home games except Indy, so even though the playoffs look out of reach, there's still a shot at .500, or even a winning season.

The team is young and battered, they need a little more time and a few more players to really compete.
Old 12-02-2007   #25
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you ever heard of NO salary cap for coaches?

My entire point rests upon the word "AND" that I placed between the words "players" and "coaches."

It doesn't take good players.

It doesn't take good coaches.

It does, however, take BOTH. It's my opinion that we are lacking both.

I am not dense. I know we have been a casualty of the cap for PLAYERS. But the owner can spend a zillion dollars for coaches with no penalty/cap. And, for the UP-TEENTH time...the hiring of Richard Smith reeks of penny pinching.

Maybe you should slow down and re-read before you reply.
i dont have to reread you said players and coaches. there is a salary cap for players. if you want to question his spending on coaches you should of said coaches and left it at that.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #26
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
General Rule for the Texans:
Stay young and become a hater, have faith and lose some hair.

1. Stay young...I'll give it a shot.
2. Become a hater...I was BORN one!
3. Have faith...I have nothing but bro.
4. Lose some hair...I'd rather not. A bald spot with dreadlocks looks pretty ridiculous.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #27
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey View Post
Our remaining games are Tampa Bay, Denver, Indy, and Jax. All are home games except Indy, so even though the playoffs look out of reach, there's still a shot at .500, or even a winning season.

The team is young and battered, they need a little more time and a few more players to really compete.

Jim Mohra: "Playoffs?! Playoffs?! Are you...are you kidding me? Playoffs?
!

I'm just messin' around here. Next year the Texans MIGHT have a shot at a wild card but this year they're only getting to the play offs with tickets and a great travel agent.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #28
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Don't equate David Carr with the success of the 2004 team. We had a better defense than we do now; the best DBs in the conference with Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman PLUS a rookie named Dunta Robinson. LBs Jamie Sharper and Kailee Wong were solid and our front three were decent. If I'm not mistaken, that D was in the top 5 or 10 in producing turnovers.
I didn't - I think they were as good as this team in spite of him. For all these improvements everyone talks about throughout the team, it isn't showing up on the field. The overall talent isn't as good.

Basically you are disagreeing with me to say the same thing. Take away the QBs, and that team was better.
Old 12-02-2007   #29
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
You're being very patient with the Texans.
Most of us we're thinking .500 this year, with hopes of the wild card next year. And we were thought to be the realists. The wild-eyed optimists were actually predicting playoffs this year.
Yeah, but I think most of us also realized how shallow our depth really was and if we had injuries we would get exposed. Guess what, we lost our pro bowl WR, starting RB, second RB, starting QB, starting #1 corner, center, Saftey, etc.

The 2-14 team that Kubes inherited was pitifully bad and Kubes needs time to clean house. This next offseason should be a time to spend money and I think it will be spent wisely. Follow that up with a solid draft(I believe in Rick) and we will have quality starters and depth. Remember, this is only year 2. When the C & C conglomeration left town we were starting over from scratch. Lets not forget that.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #30
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by big homey View Post
That's pretty optimistic of you. I wouldn't give us a snowball's chance in hell against Indy or Jacksonville. Those teams are playing on a level that we've only sniffed this season. I am also concerned about Denver, seeing as how it probably wont take much for Shanahan to figure out his ex-OC's scheme. There is a chance that we could take down Tampa if this Luke McCown fellow gets the start.

I'm seeing a disappointing 5-11 end to the season.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I didn't - I think they were as good as this team in spite of him. For all these improvements everyone talks about throughout the team, it isn't showing up on the field. The overall talent isn't as good.

Basically you are disagreeing with me to say the same thing. Take away the QBs, and that team was better.
Its starting to sound like we're in "violent agreement".

The 2004 team played better defense than this one does. I think its a combination of the mix of veteran personnel we had then and a better defensive scheme than Richard Smith is currently bringing to the table. We definitely had better DBs and, except for DeMeco, better LBs. The effectiveness of that D-line versus this one is probably a wash. Neither consistently dominates/dominated or pressures the opposing QB with regularity.

This year's offense is better than the 2004 offense. But its hard to see it because they keep turning the damned ball over.

And if you want to know why our "season is down the drain"?
In our twelve games this year, we've given up about 290 pts - some of you pencil necks (where is TPN anyway?) feel free to check my math. About 115 of those pts have come after we turned the ball over. You want a reason why our record isn't better, look no farther than that stat. We are not good enough to spot anyone a TD and FG each game. And one of the talking heads today busted out this stat: We are 4-0 when we win the turnover battle. So in my mind, it all boils down to that.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 12-02-2007 at 07:53 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #32
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We're 4-0 when we win the turnover battle. It all boils down to that.

Maybe that's why Kubes likes to have the ball handed to Dayne so much. He doesn't fumble. OK, he got stripped today, but that was a total yank with him going down on his back and a wet football.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i dont have to reread you said players and coaches. there is a salary cap for players. if you want to question his spending on coaches you should of said coaches and left it at that.
The two are connected.

You haven't read my other 100 posts on this topic. I've been beating this horse for so long on this board I just assumed you'd know what I meant. Didn't think I needed to re-hash it again.

"Just when I thought I was out...they pulled me back in..."
Old 12-02-2007   #34
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The two are connected.

You haven't read my other 100 posts on this topic. I've been beating this horse for so long on this board I just assumed you'd know what I meant. Didn't think I needed to re-hash it again.

"Just when I thought I was out...they pulled me back in..."
thats interesting, so if we spend more money on hiring coaches we will get extra salary cap space for the players. look, im not gonna go back and find your previous posts so if somehow your making sense to yourself then thats great no need to "beat your horse" anymore.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read