Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2007   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who's going to be the new OC?

Might as well start a speculation thread.

Some of the names I've thought of, and this not an endorsement of any of these guys just names that have crossed my mind.

Bill Callahan - WCO guy
Chan Gailey - A much coordinator then HC, but he is prone to calling the 5 yard play on 3rd & 8
Mike Leach - A true offensive genius, and I'd love to see what he could do with top flight talent along the O-line and at RB (if we ever have top flight talent at RB). I hope he stays at Tech but if he must leave Lubbock I'd be ok if the move was to Houston.
Norv Turner - Another great coordinator but crap HC.

Who y'all got?

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 11-29-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's going to be the new OC?

Joe Pendry.....

I think it will be someone on staff already.
Old 11-29-2007   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

While Mike Leech would be a cool OC, I don't think his lack of running game would mesh well with Kubiak's philosophy of run first, pass second.

Norv would definitely compliment the Texans well, and is an intriguing idea.

It will probably end up being Kyle Shanahan and I think a lot of people are not going to like that due to his age.

I would take Cam Cameron too, but nobody knows if the 'phins will let him go after this season. He did sort of inherit a pretty bad team.
Old 11-29-2007   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I assume it'll be little Shanny, but it doesn't matter anyways. Kubiak will run the offense and hopefully he reverts to what he knows works.

It's the DC I'm worried about. Will they rid themselves of Richard? Will Bush become DC? I hope so

Old 11-29-2007   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
While Mike Leech would be a cool OC, I don't think his lack of running game would mesh well with Kubiak's philosophy of run first, pass second.
I think Leach's lack of a running game at Tech is more due to the type of talent he is able to recruit then the fact that he is truly that pass happy.

I'd be real intersted to see what Leach could do if he had a running game he could rely on at times.

as for little Shanny, a) I think 27 is just too damn young to be running meetings (unless Kubiak is going to do it and Shanny is just OC in name) and b) let his Pops take the chance with him as an OC not us.

Old 11-29-2007   #6
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I assume it'll be little Shanny, but it doesn't matter anyways. Kubiak will run the offense and hopefully he reverts to what he knows works.

It's the DC I'm worried about. Will they rid themselves of Richard? Will Bush become DC? I hope so

This was written 11/25/07 in the chronicle

"If Mike Sherman leaves the Texans for the Aggies, the natural progression would have quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan becoming the offensive coordinator."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...m/5326453.html
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
This was written 11/25/07 in the chronicle

"If Mike Sherman leaves the Texans for the Aggies, the natural progression would have quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan becoming the offensive coordinator."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...m/5326453.html

By John McClain...need I say more.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2007   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldnt mind Kyle running the offense because maybe we get a nut who wants to mix things up am\nd make Texans football exciting. Give us something to be excited about. Or if you are worried about age, try and get some co coordinator to help him learn the ropes. A fresh and new perspective couldnt hurt.
Old 11-29-2007   #9
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think Leech's lack of a running game at Tech is more due to the type of talent he is able to recruit then the fact that he is truly that pass happy.

I'd be real intersted to see what Leech could do if he had a running game he could rely on at times.

as for little Shanny, a) I think 27 is just too damn young to be running meetings (unless Kubiak is going to do it and Shanny is just OC in name) and b) let his Pops take the chance with him as an OC not us.

Tech was a power running team for years before Leach arrived. Remember little Ricky Williams? Leach's philosophy is to spread out the defense and throw the ball. I really don't think his scheme would work in the pro's, especially with the huge splits on the offensive line.
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

For what its worth . John McClain was saying Sunday that it might be Kyle Shanahan . He said that he thinks he will take the OC job here , then move on to Denver as OC for a couple of years , and eventually take over Daddy's job as head coach . He also said that he has a reputation as one of the good up and coming young coaches in the NFL . I wouldn't mind that . No college coaches please .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak

Even if someone else holds the title, Kubiak is the Offensive "Genius".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Tech was a power running team for years before Leach arrived. Remember little Ricky Williams? Leach's philosophy is to spread out the defense and throw the ball. I really don't think his scheme would work in the pro's, especially with the huge splits on the offensive line.
I would say that a) Tech tried to be a power running team and b) Spike Dykes refused to pass because he had some very below average QBs, most notably the great Zebby Lethridge and c) Spike was afraid of the pass.

As for all those great RBs under Spike, how many had good games against the top teir talent, espically after the formation of the Big XII? I remember many a rolling by Nebraska in Lubbock.

I think Leach runs the spread because it fits the talent he is able to recruit to Lubbock, if he could get better talent along the O-line and at RB I think he would run more.

Old 11-29-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

KS and the offense will focus even more on passing. He was the receivers coach and that is where our strength lies. We will go with RBs but expect a more wide open attack in my opinion. I think we will see more draw plays also. Kubes will continue to have final say. Now if we could just change the DC.
Old 11-29-2007   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Leech has been with tech for what, 7 years now? I think if he wanted to implement a running game, he would've recruited for it and implemented it by now. Leech's offensive philosophy for Tech is making big pass plays to big overpowering receivers, and with a QB that has a big arm. They just don't run.

Lane Kiffin is what, 30? 32, maybe? I don't think that age is as big of a factor if Shannahan(sp?) can make the team better. I think we'll be alright with Shanahan being the OC as long as Kubiak keeps him on a fairly short leash.

I'm with the poster above me, the DC position is the one that scares me more. Our defense is definitely an underperforming unit, and it just seems that if we promote from within, we'll just get more of the same.
Old 11-29-2007   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice list, you also need to look to Denver also, two years ago Kubiak tried to get the OL coach to join him and Mike Shanahan said no. Made Rick Dennison OC, in title only, by bringing back Mike Heimerdinger as the Assistant HC/QBs, Dennison has not been given his true chance.

Does Kubiak still want to work with him? And does Kubiak really want to run the Denver ZBS? If the answer is yes then this move makes sense.

I also thought of the Callahan move, but think he will be going to Tampa Bay. Just a hunch.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

For some reason(s), the thought of Kyle Shanahan as OC does not inspire any confidence in my mind. It is borderline nepotism, and once again, the Texans might fail to spend the money on getting a proven coach on our staff.

I wonder if Kubiak will want to change DC since he's having to find another OC. Another year of Richard Smith's bland defensive schemes and emotion-based playcalling leaves me feeling less than enthusiastic.

Obviously, this is just speculation on my part, tainted by half a decade of mediocrity and losing.
Old 11-29-2007   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am heavily in favor of Norv Turner running our offense. He would have to adjust to having an actual #1 reciever, but his teams have had good offenses even without an AJ.
Old 11-29-2007   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Joe Pendry.....
Hey he is the Assistant HC of the Alabama Crimson Tide. So he must know something. Could it have been the QB was not able to run an NFL offense? No that can't be the problem, just ask John Foxx.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #19
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey all, it's L-E-A-C-H. He's not a blood sucking, pond worm.

It will be Kyle anyway. Are any of the "candidates" first mentioned even available, other than Chan Gailey or Bill Callahan.?
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Hey he is the Assistant HC of the Alabama Crimson Tide. So he must know something. Could it have been the QB was not able to run an NFL offense? No that can't be the problem, just ask John Foxx.
*ahem* it was a joke.... No one has to convince me that it 'may have been HWSRN'

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read