Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2007   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So im banned

So I got banned from the "official forums".. probably because I pointed out to someone that most of the people posting on the boards lately are ignorant whiny jackasses.

So I thought it was past time I came over here and chatted with folks .

So, I see alot of people here are feeling down about the Texans. Personally, Im very happy.

In just 2 years Kubiak, Smith, and the FO have transformed this team from a perpetual bottom dweller, to a team on the cusp of the playoffs.

Yah we are inconsistent, and we still have a couple of glaring holes.. but it cant be denied that we are a team on the rise. We have a great young QB who, despite being a starter for the first time, is already twice the QB that Carr was. We have Andre Johnson showing that he is one of (if not the) best young WR in the league.. we have a slew of WRs stepping up and making our offense awesome.. and we have a young defense that is struggling to be consistent but has obvious talent.

Yah this year probably aint gonna end where we would have LIKED it to.. but we are so close now... and we are gonna have so much cap space this next offseason... and Richard Smith has already shown the ability to sign talented players. I easily see us as a playoff team next year.

Im stoked. Yah we are gonna have to go through another offseason.. but that just gives me another year to save up for playoff tickets .

Cheer up everyone.. it isnt near as bad as yall make it seem.
Old 11-28-2007   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So im banned

so uh

why'd you even go to the "official" forums
Old 11-28-2007   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well.. traditionally the official forums got about 10x more traffic than these forums.. but I see that yall are actually getting alot of traffic here now . Looks like the only thing the official forum has that these dont have is the legion of screaming bandwagoners.
Old 11-28-2007   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I stopped going to the official forum. There's alot of immature young posters on there who think they know it all.
Old 11-28-2007   #5
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I thought the "Official board" spontaneously combusted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
Old 11-28-2007   #6
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I will agree with you on the fact that our team is progressing (slowly, but surely) and that we are better off than we were during the Capers/Carr era. That said, there is a lot to be disappointed about. Our "premier" tight-end (who Matt seems to be inclined to throw to) can't hang onto the football, our defense doesn't execute, there has been little done with the o-line, and despite an increase in talent, we have yet to form any sort of character or identity. The fact that we'd be 4-7 and completely out of the playoff picture had it not been for some heroics by Kris Brown in a game versus the Miami Dolphins shows that this team has a ways to go before it can be a true force to be reckoned with. Matt needs to get his head on right during clutch situations, we have to stop turning the ball over, we need to do better with both our defensive and offensive schemes, and for god's sake, could someone on defense please make a play when it matters most? Even the best cornerback we have (Dunta) got beat for a loss, during that huge comeback against the Titans.

This team needs the one thing that all of the cap room in the world can't buy: heart.

That said, cheers to the rest of the season!

Sig by False Start on #69
Old 11-28-2007   #7
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to post sporatically, but I've done a lot of lurking in my day and one thing I noticed was that as soon as the official site got an "upgrade", a hoard of new users started posting, most of which were ignorant know-it-alls. Did this coincide with the site make-over or was I just imagining it?
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2007   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I will agree with you on the fact that our team is progressing (slowly, but surely) and that we are better off than we were during the Capers/Carr era. That said, there is a lot to be disappointed about. Our "premier" tight-end (who Matt seems to be inclined to throw to) can't hang onto the football, our defense doesn't execute, there has been little done with the o-line, and despite an increase in talent, we have yet to form any sort of character or identity. The fact that we'd be 4-7 and completely out of the playoff picture had it not been for some heroics by Kris Brown in a game versus the Miami Dolphins shows that this team has a ways to go before it can be a true force to be reckoned with. Matt needs to get his head on right during clutch situations, we have to stop turning the ball over, we need to do better with both our defensive and offensive schemes, and for god's sake, could someone on defense please make a play when it matters most? Even the best cornerback we have (Dunta) got beat for a loss, during that huge comeback against the Titans.

This team needs the one thing that all of the cap room in the world can't buy: heart.

Well.. the way I see it:

1) Daniels is young. This is only his second year, and while his fumbling issues are a real problem... Im not gonna get worried about it yet. Im sure HE is aware that it is an issue, and im sure Kubiak is aware that it is an issue.. and im sure steps are going to be taken to fix it. As talented as he is, I see him fixing the problem and being a mainstay in our offense.

2) Our offense in general has been great..but flawed. We have a superb passing game and we can build on that. As you said though..our Oline is the problem. I AM a bit worried about this.. but im going to keep my finger off the panic button till I see what we do this offseason. In Kubiaks first year.. he wasnt sure what we had there, and we had just brought in a couple new guys, and a couple rookies, and gotten a new Oline coach in Sherman.. so we DID take steps to improve it. This year.. I think we got a little caught up in the "wait for Spencer" thing.. and didnt quite address it as much as we should have. However, we also had limited cap space to work with as we were cutting alot of fat from the roster. This coming offseason.. there are no excuses.. our Oline continues to be a weakness, and Spencer cannot be counted on to return.. and we have a buttload of cap space. If we do not take HUGE steps to improve our Oline this offseason.. THEN im gonna be worried.

3) This kinda belongs under #2 but ill start a new number for it . Running game. We have proven this year that we have a QB that can get the ball down the field, and WRs that can help him do it. Honestly we have one of the best passing games in the league. With that in mind, I am hoping that we get away from this "pound the ball" philosophy and get us a quick scat back that can be a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball, and can also take full advantage of our screens. Basically, I think we should depend on our passing game, improve our oline alot, and then get a fast RB that can take advantage of Schaub and AJ/Davis/Walter spreading the field and giving him lots of running room to once he gets into the secondary.

4) I think our problems with turning the ball over, and having troubles moving the ball at times, can all be linked to a poor oline and running game. Also, Schaub is starting for the first time..and he has some learning to do as well. Im confident that if we fix our Oline and get a better RB.. all of our problems on offense will be fixed very quickly.

5) On defense..we are very young. Yes we need some consistency, and we need players that will step up and make big plays when we need them most.. but I think alot of that will come in time as these guys mature. In the meantime.. we really need to improve our depth at some positions, and we need to consider that Drob may not return, or if he does..he may never be the player he was. Secondary needs some love. And with Dunta.. he had been shutting them down all day long before he got beat that one time. Yah it was a bad time to get beat.. but really..he should have had more help during that game.

So..all in all.. I agree with the problems you listed, but also feel that none of it is stuff that is gonna hold us down for long. Oline and RB fixes the majority of our problems.. then we just need to continue improving our defense where we can, and let them mature into the defense they have the potential to be.
Old 11-29-2007   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

WB Grid, you troublemaker
Old 11-29-2007   #10
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

how'd you get banned?
Old 11-29-2007   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanna hear the potty-mouth too. If you do not get banned, then we're like sooo much more lenient here
Old 11-29-2007   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post

i've read this a few times ... i'm unsure what exactly people are wanting or expecting as far as "identity".

we're a finesse team with an explosive pass first offense, and a smaller athletic defense that, as our personnel seems to be pointing towards, is a hard hitting bend but dont break D.

the last 2 years have been experimenting, cap purging, and atleast a 60% roster turnover ... in the next 2 years it'll be painfully obvious what direction this team is heading as far as identity as we build the team with who we want (as opposed to who's available), but right now i really like where we're at and where we're heading.
Old 11-29-2007   #13
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
So I got banned from the "official forums".. probably because I pointed out to someone that most of the people posting on the boards lately are ignorant whiny jackasses.

So I thought it was past time I came over here and chatted with folks .

So, I see alot of people here are feeling down about the Texans. Personally, Im very happy.

In just 2 years Kubiak, Smith, and the FO have transformed this team from a perpetual bottom dweller, to a team on the cusp of the playoffs.

Yah we are inconsistent, and we still have a couple of glaring holes.. but it cant be denied that we are a team on the rise. We have a great young QB who, despite being a starter for the first time, is already twice the QB that Carr was. We have Andre Johnson showing that he is one of (if not the) best young WR in the league.. we have a slew of WRs stepping up and making our offense awesome.. and we have a young defense that is struggling to be consistent but has obvious talent.

Yah this year probably aint gonna end where we would have LIKED it to.. but we are so close now... and we are gonna have so much cap space this next offseason... and Richard Smith has already shown the ability to sign talented players. I easily see us as a playoff team next year.

Im stoked. Yah we are gonna have to go through another offseason.. but that just gives me another year to save up for playoff tickets .

Cheer up everyone.. it isnt near as bad as yall make it seem.

I have been saying this during the week. Some people are overreacting to our recent loss. I just think good teams are not usually born overnight. Yeah you get a suprise team every year, but it usually is because the team added that one piece to the puzzle that revealed the picture.

I think we get a playmaker at safety and a consistent RB we'll be a team contending in the playoffs. Also this is assuming Dunta can play again and be effective.
Old 11-29-2007   #14
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131013 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL Ironically I found this thread after being temporarily banned from the "official" thread. Strangely enough the guy who banned me told me about this board. Nice guy. He was half Japanese and gave me his mother's variation of my favorite Japanese dish.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 11-29-2007   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
how'd you get banned?
im not entirely sure.. but the last post that I made in the forum was in response to someone who was trying to say "We complain because we care".

I responded to him by pointing out that there is a difference between "complaining" and "spouting ignorant B.S."

I then made few paragraphs similar to the ones ive made in this thread, talking about our weaknesses and how we needed to improve to become a winning team. And explained that "this is complaining because you care".

Then I pointed out some other posts on the forums which said things such as "FIYAAAA BOB MCNAIR!" and "Schaub is Carr all over again!" and "Fire Kubiak!" and "This team is cursed" and "We arent ever going to go anywhere." and said that this is not "complaining because you care" this is a bunch of whiny, ignorant, useless little jackasses spewing their worthless uneducated opinions all over our forums.

Actually I think I was a little less "volatile" than that..but you get the drift.

It was either that post, or the other post I made that explained how the official forums had led me to the conclusion that people from Houston, for all their moral strength and friendly demeanor, really are uneducated rednecks.. and that I may have jumped the gun when I defended southerners from all those yankees stereotyping us as ignorant, inbred idiots.

Whatever the case.. I think my restrained usage of "potty language" is alot less offensive than the crap they let idiotic people post on that forum. Honestly I wouldnt have any reason to USE the word Jackass if they would quit letting them come to our forum after every loss so they could rant about how we need to fire our coaching staff, cut our starters, and sign the best starters from the other 31 teams.
Old 11-29-2007   #16
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of us are on a self imposed ban from that other site. Personally I think this one is much better, more knowledgable people and just flows better.

I should check if my other account is still active...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 11-29-2007   #17
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome home, Grid.

You should have been here to begin with.
Old 11-29-2007   #18
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was either that post, or the other post I made that explained how the official forums had led me to the conclusion that people from Houston, for all their moral strength and friendly demeanor, really are uneducated rednecks.. and that I may have jumped the gun when I defended southerners from all those yankees stereotyping us as ignorant, inbred idiots.
I would ban you for that one.

I take it your not from Houston.

Old 11-29-2007   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought it was kind of humorous actually (the whiny jackass part) in the context of the rest of that thread... and certainly not worth banning. In the literal sense of the code of conduct, yes, but I've seen far worse left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
LOL Ironically I found this thread after being temporarily banned from the "official" thread. Strangely enough the guy who banned me told me about this board. Nice guy. He was half Japanese and gave me his mother's variation of my favorite Japanese dish.
The admin on houstontexans.com is also the admin here. The moderators on houstontexans.com are part of the moderator group here.

As far as the two boards, one of the reasons I still post there is that I'd like to see the 'official' board represent well. They get a lot of transient traffic from nfl.com and other referencing sites and a lot of times, it's other fans' first glimpse into our fan world. I always posted on the 'official' board for whatever reason and even though I'm not on the boards nearly as much as I used to be, when I'm on I try to do my small part to bring up the level of football talk there.

A lot of people over here left voluntarily (and some angrily) when the board switched platforms and was having operability issues. I've seen a lot of active recruiting to 'come on over' here because basically 'all the smart people' and the 'heart and soul' are over here and its basically a bunch of bozos over there. Not sure if that's healthy, or fair... to the non-bozos at least.

Given time and no interference, the 'official' board will build up its community of quality posters just like it did before - that's where most of us started anyway. Again, I'd like to see both boards represent the Texans well. In all honesty I think the quality of Texans talk on both boards has gone down over the years. Maybe I'm just getting tired of reading the same old stuff - here and there.

Last edited by aj.; 11-29-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-29-2007   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good to see ya Grid. I enjoy your posts and insight or maybe incite...oh well. I agree that the official board has went down hill (I still post there also) and it seems to be due to just what you say, a group of what seems to be fairly young folks, based on how they say things, that for what ever reason just like to take a real negative position (I suspect several are actually Trolls) and like to start flame wars against anyone who doesn't agree with their position. The group here has a large group of former posters on the main board and most were/are pretty darn knowledgable. Not that they don't go off in the weeds on ocassion.

De Oppresso Liber
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read