Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2007   #41
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub underthrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Next year should be the one where we seriously threaten.
Its always next year for Houston. We are already used to it. Six years and counting... And that isn't counting the Oilers lean years.

As far as Schaub goes his worst play was taking that 12 yard sack. He got happy feet after that and threw the int. He did under throw a lot but we were in it until the sack and int.

Not sure what happened to Andre but he was a non factor. The Texans continue to kill drives with critical penalties and turnovers while allowing the opposing teams big 3rd down plays over and over.

One final note. Is it too much to ask CBS that we please not get Steve Tasker as an announcer?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #42
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Why is it okay to complain about the oline and DB's but, not Schaub? What makes him untouchable?
I didn't say he was untouchable. I just think the complaints are unfounded. I think he has made his share of mistakes but I also think if you've watched every game that he has been a major plus. I think people complaining about todays game have really no legit reason to place the blame on him. The guy has maybe 9 total pro starts and he is still better than anything we have seen at QB when it comes to pocket presence and running the offense. Last week people thought he was a stud and he makes a couple of bad plays this week and people nitpick. I think it is unreasonable. JMO. The DBs have been getting burned for years and the O-line, while improved, still has its problems....something we have had to deal with.
Old 11-25-2007   #43
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36745 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
What are the important areas? Because, if Schaub is doing something right, I don't know what it is. Have you noticed that the only time he shows up is when Andre shows up? When Andre is not in the line up, Schaub looks pathetic and throws horrid passes. When Andre has a bad game, Schaub has a bad game. We have a very talented WR corps, and I think they make Schaub look much better than he really is. Which is sad, because he doesn't look that great. He crumbles under pressure, throws it behind the first down marker, can't put any zip on the ball, and can't complete any passes unless the reciever makes a miraculous move to catch the ball, he is no precision passer. Yeah, he might develop eventually...but to be frank, I am sick and tired of eventually. Eventually we all grow old and die. Eventually, the franchise packs it up and moves to Tennesee. I am not willing to waste 5 years on a QB who can't get it done. We did that with Carr, I hope that the front office has learned better since then.
Two of his best games of the year were against Atlanta and Miami, neither of which Andre appeared in. Schaub had his worst game this year today, except for Tennessee, in which he barely appeared before being clobbered into oblivion. I was really disappointed in several facets of our team, especially Richard Smith's playcalling. I thought we should have capitalized on our chances, but that offensively the team continually missed the opportunities available.

I really don't understand the negativity on this thread towards Schaub. He definitely had one of his worst games of the year, but he was still solid through the first half. Just looking at what Carr and VY were doing --combining for less than Schaub's total points and leading thoroughly listless teams to a listless finish -- I'm inclined to think we chose well at least short term, and that there are a lot of other positions on this team to worry about besides QB.

Schaub has a disturbing tendency to force one play a game at a really bad time, I'll admit. I'm willing to give him and Kubiak through next year though, since there's been so many injuries this year -- I'm honestly shocked we're only a game under .500 to be honest. There had better be some real improvement in the offseason, and I'm hoping we can either get Spencer back or get a LT any way possible.

As for this year, we'll know next week what our chances are like for finishing near what I thought would be a .500 season. Tennessee is plummeting right now, and if we can't beat them with the team we have right now, then I wouldn't expect any higher than last year at 6-10. If we do, then we follow with two very winnable games against Tampa and Denver, and might even be able to finish 9-7, thereby ruining at least one team's postseason hopes as well as closing with a strong finish. I'm not done yet, but I'm close to throwing in the towel on the year as far as any expectation of competing.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #44
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I didn't say he was untouchable. I just think the complaints are unfounded. I think he has made his share of mistakes but I also think if you've watched every game that he has been a major plus. I think people complaining about todays game have really no legit reason to place the blame on him. The guy has maybe 9 total pro starts and he is still better than anything we have seen at QB when it comes to pocket presence and running the offense. Last week people thought he was a stud and he makes a couple of bad plays this week and people nitpick. I think it is unreasonable. JMO. The DBs have been getting burned for years and the O-line, while improved, still has its problems....something we have had to deal with.
I think Schaub has played well all year, today just wasn't his day. His passes didn't look like some of the bullets he's thrown this year and that was one of his picks. His first INT, in my opinion, wasn't one and the Browns should have been called for pass interference.
Old 11-26-2007   #45
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

To be clear, this isn't a case of piling on after one bad game. I have been saying from the beginning of the year that Schaub consistently underthrows his deep balls. He's been completing them, but almost every one of his deep balls, even his TDs, have been underthrown. The WRs have made some very good plays on them. Think about every long pass ADavis has caught - they've all been underthrown. Most of the long balls to AJ have been underthrown, but he's been so wide open that no one pays attention to the fact that AJ has to slow up or even stop for the ball. It's a recurring problem that hasn't risen up and bitten Schaub too often - yet.

That is the focus of what I am referring to. Schaub makes great reads, and for the most part, when there is one, he hangs in the pocket well. He doesn't usually force the ball, and he challenges all parts of the field. I think he has the potential to be a very good QB. The underthrows concern me, however, and those who write them off now will be talking about them in upcoming years.
Old 11-26-2007   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Shaub had a good first quarter but the more the Texans went away from the run and the more unbalanced the offense got the more his game degenerated as it unfolded. To me it looked like when he had time and nobody was open....its impossible to see downfield on TV but there were lots of times he held on to the ball a long time and still had nowhere to throw the ball at times. Winston didn't have a very good game either. Schaub had lots of pressure from the edges yesterday.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #47
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 212 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Every qb underthrows balls in a game. Nobody can throw a perfect game and sometimes plays are designed to be underthrown based on the coverage.

The difference between when someone like Schaub underthrows the ball and when a guy like Brady does is that Brady's got guys that will bail him out like Randy Moss. I love AJ but one of his weaknesses is the fact that he doesn't fight for the ball like an elite WR should.

EX: The play where he let the ball come into his body and Mcdonald knocked it out of his hands. That was "underthrown" but if it were Moss he would've gotten up and got it instead of waiting for it to come to him.

That being said, Schaub got worse as the game wore on and needs to play a complete game for us to be a winner.
It is not all his fault when you see that fat tub of lard dayne on a screen pass . After catching it , indecisive and clearly scared going nowhere you know schaubs being tentative and scared is not the only problem . We can all just ignore flannigan and his crappy day as we have no option there . where does it end ? we need some petal to the metal bad to the bone real men on this offense .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132643 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I think you're overreacting man. Think about it. Schaub's first INT was a fluke. It wasn't a bad throw. Then we still keep momentum, start driving down the field, and Owen fumbles the freakin ball! After that, momentum was gone. Schaub made 1 really bad throw today by under throwing AJ. But Chad Pennington? Schaub is fine. And everyone questioning his arm, well he's not great but I believe we lead the league in passes of 40+. Schaub is fine.

Even though I am far from giving up on Schaub for this ugly team and personal performance, let me point out that the "passes of 40+" statistic, I believe, is based on yardage including after the catch.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub & his receivers had a bad day. It happens. Schaub looked a little rusty, as did AJ & Jacoby. Daniels needs to hang on to the ball. I believe in these guys and I'm sure they will have better days. That they laid an egg in such a big game is disappointing, but you move on to the next big game.

One aspect I haven't heard mentioned was the wind at Browns Stadium. It may not have been as bad as it once was at the Mistake by the Lake, but there were wind gusts up to 20 MPH during the game. Browns QB Anderson has a strong arm, but he fared much better with passes on a line than with the touch passes. Sometimes, you have to take into account the field conditions. And the Browns did a better job in that regard.

As far as arm strength goes, I'd put Schaub no worse than middle of the pack among NFL starters. Combine that with his ability to read defenses, his accuracy, and his poise, I think Matt is more part of the solution than part of the problem.
Old 11-27-2007   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Even though I am far from giving up on Schaub for this ugly team and personal performance, let me point out that the "passes of 40+" statistic, I believe, is based on yardage including after the catch.
Correct but in this case, all but 2-3 came from passes to Davis and Walter with almost zero YAC. Take those 2-3 out and they still rank highly even though the other 31 teams are still including YAC.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read