Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2007   #21
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: I've OD'ed on OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
You can't be serious. OD is one of the better TEs in the league, albeit he fumbles a lot. He bails us out of so many situations, he's open over the middle of the field and had 80 yards recieving and a TD today. I think you are overreacting WAY WAY too much. Who cares how many TDs Dreessen has? He basically has 2 catches and 2 TDs. O. M. G. I guess that means he catches a TD every reception, huh? OD needs to fix his fumbling problem, but he is still one of the bright spots on our offense.
Oh yes, he bailed us out really well today didn't he? A dropped pass inside the 5 and a fumble at a crucial part of the game. Also, to throw his stats around is sort of silly. The TD was in garbage time and I highly doubt that Dreessen would be incapable of getting open. All I am saying is, why start someone who can't handle the ball. He has 4 fumbles on the year and 51 receptions. That is roughly an average of 1 fumble for every 13 catches. This does not even take into consideration all of the dropped passes. Why not give Dreessen a chance? Kubiak seems to have eliminated Joe Echemandu for much less, why should Owen Daniels be safe? Truth is, despite being a decent recieving TE, he can't be counted on in a clutch situation. Not to mention he is a pretty sorry blocker. Did anyone else see him get blown up by Wimberly today? We should play our best players, Owen Daniels isn't doing much to keep himself safe from competition.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #22
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Oh yes, he bailed us out really well today didn't he? A dropped pass inside the 5 and a fumble at a crucial part of the game. Also, to throw his stats around is sort of silly. The TD was in garbage time and I highly doubt that Dreessen would be incapable of getting open. All I am saying is, why start someone who can't handle the ball. He has 4 fumbles on the year and 51 receptions. That is roughly an average of 1 fumble for every 13 catches. This does not even take into consideration all of the dropped passes. Why not give Dreessen a chance? Kubiak seems to have eliminated Joe Echemandu for much less, why should Owen Daniels be safe? Truth is, despite being a decent recieving TE, he can't be counted on in a clutch situation. Not to mention he is a pretty sorry blocker. Did anyone else see him get blown up by Wimberly today? We should play our best players, Owen Daniels isn't doing much to keep himself safe from competition.
Um...the throwing his stats around was supposed to be silly, since you said that Dreessen had more TDs than him, and therefore is an upgrade over OD...
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #23
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

Owen Daniels is not the biggest problem this team has. He is actually one of the better players we have at any position, although that is not saying much. So he had a lousy game. Start at the top if you want to find the blame.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #24
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
You can't be serious. OD is one of the better TEs in the league, albeit he fumbles a lot. He bails us out of so many situations, he's open over the middle of the field and had 80 yards recieving and a TD today. I think you are overreacting WAY WAY too much. Who cares how many TDs Dreessen has? He basically has 2 catches and 2 TDs. O. M. G. I guess that means he catches a TD every reception, huh? OD needs to fix his fumbling problem, but he is still one of the bright spots on our offense.
totally agree with this
Old 11-25-2007   #25
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Um...the throwing his stats around was supposed to be silly, since you said that Dreessen had more TDs than him, and therefore is an upgrade over OD...
The reason I brought up the Dreessen's TDs was to point out Daniels inability to find the endzone, not to highlight Dreessen's superiority. Hell, I really have no preference to Dreessen. I wouldn't mind having Putzier back. I would just really like to have a TE target for Schaub (who seems to like throwing to his TEs) who fumble the ball every 13 catches and drop the pass everytime he gets hit.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007   #26
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Yeah Owen is really letting me down. He single handedly put us out of this game. The refs blatantly missing holding calls also isn't helping.
single handedly put us out of the game???? although he did fumble, i wouldnt say OD was the reason we lost today....our d line was getting runned on all day
Old 11-25-2007   #27
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_wayz View Post
single handedly put us out of the game???? although he did fumble, i wouldnt say OD was the reason we lost today....our d line was getting runned on all day

I agree, Allowing anything over 80 yards to Jamaal Lewis is just plain silly.

And allowing 134 yards to him is just plain ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2007   #28
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
i like owen, don't like matt throwing the ball to the other team
Owen needs some work though. that cant really be disputed. Kinda like Tiki Barber, he needs to learn how to carry a ball. And though Schaub nees to work on the underthrows, Dre didnt really help him out too much. He didnt even try to come back to the ball on that one. No excuse for your Pro Bowl WR not to come back to the ball on that.
Old 11-26-2007   #29
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand how you could ask for another TE to start over OD. He is a damn good tight end and has had some problems fumbling, most players go through tough times. Other than his fumbling I see no problems in his game. Benching him would be another stupid decision to add to the list of stupid decisions this coaching staff has made throughout the year.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
Right when he caught the ball I said to myself, "I hope he doesn't fumble." Oh well.
I said the same thing just moments before it happened, too. Weird!
Old 11-26-2007   #31
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
Right when he caught the ball I said to myself, "I hope he doesn't fumble." Oh well.
So YOU jinxed him!!!!

I was thinking the same thing....

If the team can't depend on you not to fumble, then you won't be seeing much of the ball. OD is just going to have to work hard on holding on to it, like Tiki did in NY. He is a great player, but that fumble did change momentum of the game.
Old 11-26-2007   #32
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Tiki and Ahman both had fumbling problems, but I think that's something you can definitely work on. I know Tiki did it by changing the way he carried the ball. Ahman's issue was he rarely switched the ball to his outside arm when he cut outside, so it was easy for folks to swipe at the ball when they made tackles...I don't really know if he ever fixed that since you can't really have a fumbling problem if you're sitting on the bench in your Sunday "inactive" sweats.

As for OD, I really don't understand how people are calling for another TE. OD is the best we have at that position, and he's a damn good NFL TE at that. Fumbling is a huge issue with him, but he's in his second year and has time to work on protecting the ball, just as Schaub will have time to work on not hanging his receivers out to dry with high thrown balls.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #33
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Protecting the ball isn't something that is just now taught and learned at the pro level; this is football 101 basic things. This "issue" shouldn't be minimalzed just because he's our best TE. A fumble recovered by the Defense puts our best TE and the rest of the Offense on....the sidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #34
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Protecting the ball isn't something that is just now taught and learned at the pro level; this is football 101 basic things. This "issue" shouldn't be minimalzed just because he's our best TE. A fumble recovered by the Defense puts our best TE and the rest of the Offense on....the sidelines.
Better technique CAN be taught at the pro level. Unless you want to discount Tiki cutting down on fumbles by the way he held the ball. Fumble protection is constantly worked on by a number of teams, with slap drills and such. Just because it's something that should be more fundamental doesn't mean it isn't constantly worked on and improved. Isn't that the nature of the game?

Don't let frustration overrule logic.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #35
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Protecting the ball isn't something that is just now taught and learned at the pro level; this is football 101 basic things.
I agreed with that until I saw Tiki cut down his fumbles when he was at one time a fumbling machine. OD needs to work on it and he will get better.
Old 11-26-2007   #36
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I said the same thing just moments before it happened, too. Weird!
Everytime he makes a catch....I yell "HOLD ON TO THE BALL DAMMIT!"

Maybe he should watch film on Marvin Harrison, and just lay down after the catch.
If he does that we're 7-4.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #37
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Better technique CAN be taught at the pro level. Unless you want to discount Tiki cutting down on fumbles by the way he held the ball. Fumble protection is constantly worked on by a number of teams, with slap drills and such. Just because it's something that should be more fundamental doesn't mean it isn't constantly worked on and improved. Isn't that the nature of the game?

Don't let frustration overrule logic.
I'm not frustrated - Logic is that once a game OD is going to T.O. the ball.

The difference between Tiki and OD is that Tiki got the ALL the time and fumbled sometimes. OD gets the ball sometimes and fumbles a lot of the time.

By all means keep trying to help the guy out with football 101, but until he can secure the ball the few times he touches he shouldn't be touching it as much. We're not good enough to overcome multiple mistakes in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #38
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Yeah Owen is really letting me down. He single handedly put us out of this game. The refs blatantly missing holding calls also isn't helping.
The (non)call that hurt us the most was the one where Anderson stepped a yard over the line of scrimmage and threw a pass. It was incomplete, but without the penalty, they were able to continue the drive with a short field and ultimately scored their go-ahead TD.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read