Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2007   #81
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's official: Sherman HC at Texas A&M

Personally, I think it'd be better for Sherman to leave now rather than after the season. He could get started with his new team and the Texans can move on with Shanny Jr. I doubt Sherman would slack off the remainder of the season, but our playoff hopes are basically over (if they were ever a reality), so why not begin the off-season changes now?
Old 11-26-2007   #82
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

As an Aggie, I'm very pleased about this hire. Tubberville would have been nice but not worth the 6 mill buyout plus his increase in salary. Plus, Sherman truly fits in well with the culture here at A&M. I'm curious to see who he adds as his coordinators and I wouldn't mind him bringing Hoke along with him to be our coordinator. Of course, Bob Davie wouldn't be bad either to man our d side of the ball.
Old 11-26-2007   #83
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherman probably stays, but in name only me thinks. I expect, and kinda hope, that Kubiak and Kyle start to run the offense.

I cannot be the only one who is disappionted with the offense, espically given Kubiak's track record as an OC.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #84
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Sherman probably stays, but in name only me thinks. I expect, and kinda hope, that Kubiak and Kyle start to run the offense.

I cannot be the only one who is disappionted with the offense, espically given Kubiak's track record as an OC.
Yesterday the play calling sucked the run worked well but when they did play action pass it was obvious and in the first quarter and a half the slant was working fine but for some reason theTexans went away from it and hardly ran it in the second half.

Between the defense being vanillia and the offense being predictable it is a wonder we have won 5 games so far.
Old 11-26-2007   #85
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

As an Aggie and as a Texans fan I'm really pleased with this development. I've always been very impressed with Mike Sherman and think he'll fit in very well at Texas A&M. Apparently quite a few people at A&M aren't pleased because they wanted to make a bigger splash and pull up a star quality coach from the college ranks, but I think once they get to know Sherman a little more and see what type of coach he is they'll change their tunes.

As a Texans fan I'm happy to see him receive this opportunity, and also happy because I think as others have said this will hopefully allow us to forge more of our own identity on offense rather than the hybrid system we were running.

Congrats to Mike Sherman, and here's to beating TU 3 years in a row next year!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #86
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I think a lot of our season ticket holders only bought them for profit and sell them to the highest bidder.

My guess is there are not as many die hard fan season ticket holders as you would imagine.
That's because all the ticket brokers snatched up huge chunks of PSL's. The Texans should NEVER have allowed that, but they probably didn't expect it. We're a brand new team (relatively speaking), and these agencies weren't as big way back when all of these other teams came into existence. The next-newest franchises (Cleveland, J-ville and Carolina) have the same problem, but nowhere near as bad as ours. (and Cleveland may have given previous Browns season ticket holders priority)

Bottom line, PSL's should have been for fans only, but from a business point of view, the organization could have cared less who "owned" them; they assume fans will fill them up regardless.

Ticket brokers are the devil.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #87
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yesterday the play calling sucked the run worked well but when they did play action pass it was obvious and in the first quarter and a half the slant was working fine but for some reason theTexans went away from it and hardly ran it in the second half.

Between the defense being vanillia and the offense being predictable it is a wonder we have won 5 games so far.
I'm pretty sure that Kubiak calls the plays.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #88
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
I wouldn't mind having KS as OC. How old is Jason Garrett? Seems to be working out well for the Cowboys.
Agreed. Youth brings new blood, more energy, and fresh ideas. Give him a shot. He at least has the lineage. OR, make him an assistant OC while Kubiak redesigns the offense and plays HC/OC until Shanahan is ready.
Old 11-26-2007   #89
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm pretty sure that Kubiak calls the plays.
That is what I thought to.
Old 11-26-2007   #90
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
That is what I thought to.
From an older McClain blog:

Gary Kubiak calls the plays, and he's having a hard time understanding that the Texans running Dayne behind an offensive line that's average at run blocking just isn't going to cut it against eight- and nine-man fronts.
Old 11-26-2007   #91
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I thought I remembered that Sherman gives the play to Kubiak who then gives it to Schaub. I guess the effect would be to give Kubiak the option of changing the call.
Old 11-26-2007   #92
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
I wouldn't mind having KS as OC. How old is Jason Garrett? Seems to be working out well for the Cowboys.
While, I do not have a problem giving a young guy the reigns if he is qualified (I will have to trust Gary on this one), Kyle Shanahan is around 27 and Jason Garrett is 42, quite a difference.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #93
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. I don't think it's all that silly of me to expect the stadium to be filled with Texans gear and be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.
What ignorance!

What arrogance!

What disrespect!

What a snob!

I must say BOO, sir!

I know plenty of upper class refugees who lost it all. They stayed right here in Houston where they feel safer. You don't even factor in on just how poor New Orleans was before Katrina. Now that they have new jobs, better opportunities which translates into a larger household budget thus enabling them the rare luxury of being able to pay for a NFL football game. ESPECIALLY JUST THE ONE GAME THAT GIVES THEM A LITTLE FAMILIARY FROM THEIR HOME. They're here. Away from everything that they've worked for. They love their football team. They love the NFL. I'm fairly certain that they've hosted the Super Bowl more than any other stadium in the history of the NFL.

They got jobbed and you're snubbing your nose? Katrina displaced an entire town regardless of many low income families they may have had. They have plenty of people with deep pockets who are now living in Houston.

Neg rep for you. Just... the poorest post I've seen you make in the year and half that I've been a member on this board.
Old 11-26-2007   #94
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'm fairly certain that they've hosted the Super Bowl more than any other stadium in the history of the NFL.
And that's puzzling. While I feel bad for the victims of Katrina, even before all that happened, I never understood the appeal of New Orleans to the NFL for Super Bowls and didn't agree with them "automatically" awarding them a SB after Katrina. It's basically, Miami, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then San Diego, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then Tampa, then city-with-a-new-stadium, and back to Miami to do it all over again. I just don't get it.

I also can say with pretty solid certainty that even though Houston put on a hell of a Super Bowl, we'll never see one again. It will go through the regular Miami-new stadium-New Orleans-San Diego rotation, but will add Dallas into the mix now that THEY have a new stadium. It blows.
Old 11-27-2007   #95
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
And that's puzzling. While I feel bad for the victims of Katrina, even before all that happened, I never understood the appeal of New Orleans to the NFL for Super Bowls and didn't agree with them "automatically" awarding them a SB after Katrina. It's basically, Miami, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then San Diego, then city-with-a-new-stadium, then Tampa, then city-with-a-new-stadium, and back to Miami to do it all over again. I just don't get it.

I also can say with pretty solid certainty that even though Houston put on a hell of a Super Bowl, we'll never see one again. It will go through the regular Miami-new stadium-New Orleans-San Diego rotation, but will add Dallas into the mix now that THEY have a new stadium. It blows.

New Orleans is great for centralized partying.

Personally, after going to Miami for a SB, I think all the SBs should be in Miami. The weather was gorgeous until the actual game, and even in the rain, it wasn't miserable because it wasn't cold out.

And the partying was awesome.

Basically, if your team isn't in it, you are mostly there for the partying and seeing people you know.
Old 11-27-2007   #96
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

While I am glad to see Sherman go (because this "Denver Bay" scheme hasn't been working out so well), I am not sold on Kyle Shanahan. Is NO ONE else available? Have we already sunk to a 27 year old QB coach? It just seems to me that there would be better options. Believe it or not, we could do worse than Sherman and I'm not sure that we won't with such an inexperienced OC.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #97
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
While I am glad to see Sherman go (because this "Denver Bay" scheme hasn't been working out so well), I am not sold on Kyle Shanahan. Is NO ONE else available? Have we already sunk to a 27 year old QB coach? It just seems to me that there would be better options. Believe it or not, we could do worse than Sherman and I'm not sure that we won't with such an inexperienced OC.
Hey, the Texans are all about simplicity.

No need to throw some bucks at a proven OC or DC.

Seriously, though...I would prefer Shanahan (the guy coaching the WRs right now) to be calling the plays over Sherman. I'd like to think that the guy is in tune with the pass game, which seems to be our best bet for winning games right now.

Wouldn't it seem logical that he's down there hearing the QB and the WRs vent about what they need to do...while Sherman sits up there and calls garbage for most of the game?
Old 11-27-2007   #98
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
What ignorance!

What arrogance!

What disrespect!

What a snob!

I must say BOO, sir!

I know plenty of upper class refugees who lost it all. They stayed right here in Houston where they feel safer. You don't even factor in on just how poor New Orleans was before Katrina. Now that they have new jobs, better opportunities which translates into a larger household budget thus enabling them the rare luxury of being able to pay for a NFL football game. ESPECIALLY JUST THE ONE GAME THAT GIVES THEM A LITTLE FAMILIARY FROM THEIR HOME. They're here. Away from everything that they've worked for. They love their football team. They love the NFL. I'm fairly certain that they've hosted the Super Bowl more than any other stadium in the history of the NFL.

They got jobbed and you're snubbing your nose? Katrina displaced an entire town regardless of many low income families they may have had. They have plenty of people with deep pockets who are now living in Houston.

Neg rep for you. Just... the poorest post I've seen you make in the year and half that I've been a member on this board.
eh, it was one sentence that was not well thought out. Take a pill or something and relax...geesh.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #99
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post
Of course, Bob Davie wouldn't be bad either to man our d side of the ball.
That name has been bouncing in my head all season, and he would make sense with the going back to the old school coaches that teach pro techniques.

He could do worse than Bob Davies. And Bob is just doing TV right now, so he might be willing to get back to work.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007   #100
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Seriously, though...I would prefer Shanahan (the guy coaching the WRs right now) to be calling the plays over Sherman. I'd like to think that the guy is in tune with the pass game, which seems to be our best bet for winning games right now.
Kyle has been the QB coach since last January. He was made QB coach when Sherm was announced as OC.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read