Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2007   #61
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's official: Sherman HC at Texas A&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
OK, you guys were not shocked...I get it. I think I'm done with this thread. carry on
After the VY disaster at Reliant, nothing surprises me. I apologize.
Old 11-26-2007   #62
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. I don't think it's all that silly of me to expect the stadium to be filled with Texans gear and be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.
I kind of expected the Saints fans to be out in force. I reckon it's similar to other teams in the NFL who play teams that are nearby with the exception of the teams that sellout years in advance. The Cards have fans from around the NFL too. I know, I know, poor example.
Old 11-26-2007   #63
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yes we did... Section 430 (and sometimes, the temp. seating in the end zone)
The temp seats,man they were easy to make some noise with.

I wouldn't mind having KS as OC. How old is Jason Garrett? Seems to be working out well for the Cowboys.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #64
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I agree Twitch

I would not be opposed to letting Sherman leave now.

His priorities will definitely shift...:hmmmm

Sherman said in his press conference that he would stay with the Texans through the end of the season. He said that he has an obligation and he intends to honor it. He also said that he told Gary Kubiak that he would work even harder now to make sure that Kubiak knew that he was focused for the remainder of the season.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #65
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought you had to know something about football to be a head coach. :-/
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #66
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...be a bit shocked at how much Saints gear was all around me.
I can't believe you guys are arguing about this.

It was perfectly obvious that those were not Saints fans. They were scabs hired by ESPN in a last ditch effort to save face on the Bush vs. Mario debate.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #67
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was still shocking to see that much Saints gear on so many fans last week....it was revealing.
It wasn't revealing to me because: a) I've seen it before -- early 80's when the Saints played in Houston under Bum and one other time...late 80's or early 90's under Mora - it was exactly the same deal. b) Reggie hype - it was the 25 wearer's first chance to strut in our faces ... for one quarter at least, c) half of New Orleans still lives here.

Play well and there's a strong demand for tickets in your home market (from the home team's fans). Don't play well and there isn't. Nothing revealing about that.

Quote:
Katrina displaced homeless and welfare folks. Those guys don't get to many NFL games. .
Katrina displaced more people than what you saw on CNN. It wiped out the town of Slidell. That's where most of the people employed at NASA Stennis Space Center and Lockheed's Michoud Assembly Facility live. They are scientists, engineers, techicians, and their families not welfare folks. Many are still without homes.

Last edited by aj.; 11-27-2007 at 01:17 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #68
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

This is probably how the hiring went down. One of Bill Byrne's lackeys calls Kubes.

A&M: "Hi Gary, do you think you'd want to..."

GK: "No way in hell I'd work for Bill Byrne. That dumbass should have hired me when he had the chance. Mike will take any head coaching job. You guys should call him."

The rest is history now.

I think it's a decent hire. I think Sherman would probably be a better college head coach than a pro offensive guru.

As a Longhorn fan, Sherman doesn't give me nightmares the way Bob Stoops or even Ron Prince do. As a Texan fan, you bet your ass he gives me nightmares.

I see dead people. They all used to play for the Packers.....the horrah....
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #69
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This is probably how the hiring went down. One of Bill Byrne's lackeys calls Kubes.

A&M: "Hi Gary, do you think you'd want to..."

GK: "No way in hell I'd work for Bill Byrne. That dumbass should have hired me when he had the chance. Mike will take any head coaching job. You guys should call him."

The rest is history now.

I think it's a decent hire. I think Sherman would probably be a better college head coach than a pro offensive guru.

As a Longhorn fan, Sherman doesn't give me nightmares the way Bob Stoops or even Ron Prince do. As a Texan fan, you bet your ass he gives me nightmares.

I see dead people. They all used to play for the Packers.....the horrah....
Byrne didn't hire Fran.
Old 11-26-2007   #70
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post
Byrne didn't hire Fran.
Oh.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #71
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Win win for Some Texan fans.

A&M gets a coach that doesn't scare many longhorn fans... I just don't know if the guy can really recruit. Big bonus for Brown, Stopps in OK, and If Miles stays at LSU.

Sorry Aggie Fans might work out... I dunno kind of Reeks of the Bill Callahan hiring at Nebraska.

AS for the Texans.....BIG WIN i think. I think it's more of a identity crisis on the offensive line and this hiring might clear it up some. I still really think Sherman's winning record was more indicative of talent left from the Ron Wolfe Era. I'm still not 100% sure this means an immediate promotion to OC for Kyle. There should be an interesting pool after the season though. Billick from Baltimore might be looking for a new job, Caldwell from the Colts might be looking to a promotion(how sweet it would be to take a a piece of the Colts machine and use it), and ther eare probably others i am forgetting. I'm not naive enough to think Sherman has been the ONLY problems but i do think i'ts a piece aside from injuries and overall lack superior talent on this team.

I wouldn't mind Seeing Smith gone and I think Rivera wouldn't mind getting out of San Diego but of course most of this is premature an'd i'm sure the loss to Cleveland has left some bitter taste in some people's mouths. Whomever gets the hire or unless Kubiak deceides to fully take over at OC the important thing is for this offense to form an identity. If run to open the pass is it...then we need to make RB a priority this draft or off-season.

There is still Football left to play this year. Left not jump overboard yet.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #72
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
read the bold. Fact is that we never got to see the home team on TV back then and as a kid there wasn't much we could do about it other than to listen to 740am
This is the truth, I listened to many a game on A.M. radio.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #73
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Wow. Win win for Some Texan fans.

A&M gets a coach that doesn't scare many longhorn fans... I just don't know if the guy can really recruit. Big bonus for Brown, Stopps in OK, and If Miles stays at LSU.

Sorry Aggie Fans might work out... I dunno kind of Reeks of the Bill Callahan hiring at Nebraska.

AS for the Texans.....BIG WIN i think. I think it's more of a identity crisis on the offensive line and this hiring might clear it up some. I still really think Sherman's winning record was more indicative of talent left from the Ron Wolfe Era. I'm still not 100% sure this means an immediate promotion to OC for Kyle. There should be an interesting pool after the season though. Billick from Baltimore might be looking for a new job, Caldwell from the Colts might be looking to a promotion(how sweet it would be to take a a piece of the Colts machine and use it), and ther eare probably others i am forgetting. I'm not naive enough to think Sherman has been the ONLY problems but i do think i'ts a piece aside from injuries and overall lack superior talent on this team.

I wouldn't mind Seeing Smith gone and I think Rivera wouldn't mind getting out of San Diego but of course most of this is premature an'd i'm sure the loss to Cleveland has left some bitter taste in some people's mouths. Whomever gets the hire or unless Kubiak deceides to fully take over at OC the important thing is for this offense to form an identity. If run to open the pass is it...then we need to make RB a priority this draft or off-season.

There is still Football left to play this year. Left not jump overboard yet.
I would love for the Texans to find a way to secure Rivera as DC. Billick is defnitely qualified to be OC and would be highly motivated but his ego is such that I am not sure he will take an OC job. He will probably wait to be hired by another team as HC and if that doesnt happen could probably get a college job, no problem at all. We do need new coordinators now, on both sides of the ball.

Gary and Sherm have done a decent job with the offense, but there is no doubt we need new blood in our defensive coaching staff....and now with the hiring of Sherman by Aggieland we have to find an OC that can keep our offense progressing as it has this year. If we can find a way to limit our turnovers the Texans would be a Top10 offense, for sure. The defense though is just lacking for a variety of reasons but coaching is the only one of those reasons that we can throw money at and try and improve its plight.
Old 11-26-2007   #74
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
This is the truth, I listened to many a game on A.M. radio.
we used to have to drive about 10 miles north of Huntsville to this biker bar & grill off I-45 that had a satellite dish. they had some of the best breakfast burritos ever and they were far enough north of the Astrodome to get the Oilers legally over their old school satellite dish. There was a sports bar that will remain nameless here in the Woodlands that would get the game illegally off the dish but you couldn't count on it....so we just went ahead and headed north for the sure thing in the Huntsville area.
Old 11-26-2007   #75
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Sherman said in his press conference that he would stay with the Texans through the end of the season. He said that he has an obligation and he intends to honor it. He also said that he told Gary Kubiak that he would work even harder now to make sure that Kubiak knew that he was focused for the remainder of the season.
I realize he is contractually obligated to stay.

Only stated that it might not be a bad idea to sever now and see what, if anything, Shanny could show in the next few games as coordinator.

Who out there is available to come here as coordinator next year?

Old 11-26-2007   #76
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I realize he is contractually obligated to stay.

Only stated that it might not be a bad idea to sever now and see what, if anything, Shanny could show in the next few games as coordinator.

Who out there is available to come here as coordinator next year?

The Texans are still alive for a wild card berth...I don't think they'd want to give the new guy a trial run just to be nice and let Sherman go.

Too much on the line.

If Norv Turner is fired in SD he's a very good OC!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #77
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

d'you think this was all planned out? like some kind of goofy Aggie brotherhood voodoo...
Old 11-26-2007   #78
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

It may be a terrific hire for the Ags but I am VERY surprised they didn't go for one of the hot college guys out there.

This all went down very quickly.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #79
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
no...many were blacked out and it was an ongoing problem till the team had it's 7 year playoff run in the Mike Holovak era. As a youngster I only got to see the team in our white jersies if my Father couldn't take me to games....Us local Houston kids never saw the team in our home blue.
So True! I have never really been a big fan of Randall's supermarkets but if it had not been for them buying up tickets to prevent blackouts we would have missed even more games.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007   #80
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
If Norv Turner is fired in SD he's a very good OC!
That is not actually a bad idea. Barring the Chargers going deep in the playoffs (which is unlikely), Turner is going to be fired as Head Coach. We have a very attractive situation in Houston with Schaub and AJ, and if we get a good running back in the offseason and a lineman or two, we will have a potentially scary offense.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read